simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope to do a more detailed review (unless someone else does a good one) and a session report in the near furure.But here 's a few first impressions.

The components are gorgeous , it is truly an amazing pice of kit. Huge Box (Starcraft ish size). Chunky 1" square thick counters with beautiful art on them, huge mounted board. Could have all been done for half the size and cost but with a big loss in aestheics.

The game play which is a mixture of card driven and dice driven , which reflects international events , and the actions of tha Argentine Navy and Airforce.

I have played the first 7 days out of 28 , which took approx 2 hours , but will probably cut that down to 30-40 mins once I know what Im doing.
Each day you roll for weather , draw an event card , and roll dice to see if the Argentine Navy/Airforce sorties.

With the event card you look the event up in the Intelligence book and are given generally 2 options on how to deal with the event. These events can affect the military situation or result in the loss of International or Domestic support - these start at 10 and I think you lose if either get to zero. There are other repercusions to losing international opinion, which include losing inteligence from Chile or military support from the US for example.

There are some 40+ cards in a 30 turn game so there will be some replayability and you will choose different responses each time depending on your current situation.

Examples of things that have happened in my first week , I have asked the US to refuse to provide Satellite reports to Argentina resulting in a loss of international opinion. Agreed a 1 day truce via Peru which caused a loss of domestic support as the public perceived it as Government weakness ,but I did it because it was a bright sunny day and I feared the Argentinians taking advantage of the clear skies. Another event has resulted in the Argentinans covertly increasing their Exocet stockpile , i hope that one doesnt come back to bite me.

On the military front , the most significant event was on the 5th May when there was a powerful sortie by the Argentine surface fleet and a Submarine the Santa Fe. The Sante Fe was found , targeted and sunk by HMS conquerer which was the Belgrano moment and outbreak of hostilities proper. It did however cause the Argentine fleet to retreat to port.

Since then there have been 3 small sorties by Long Range Argentine Canberra bombers , but these where all detected by Long range radar on my Nimrods and Harriers sortied and easily drove them off. There has been the first casulty however as 1 Harrier from the Hermies , crash landed during bad weather , resulting in the Pilot killed and the plane lost.

Now though, as the Task Force steams south more Argentine Airfields are coming into range and I am expecting more powerful and determined air raids in the future.

It is a tense game , because each turn as you advance, the SitRep cards (which detail the likelyhood of an attack from the Argentine Airforce, and the size of any possible attacks ) get tougher. Also you can never be sure how far the Argetine navy will push it. Your military decision making revolves around how to organise your fleet , how many you put far out on picket duty. Which warships you put where, depending on their defecence capability. And most importantly how and when to Sortie your Harriers (which require a days rest/rearming between sorties).

I really do have that phoney war feeling at the moment and am dreading the day the Exocet Super Entenards make a sortie.

Well there's a mini review , a larger review/session report to follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
...nice...keep us posted on how you do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds great! totally want to know how you get on.

It almost makes me wonder, given the high production values and what sounds like a lot of tension/ things to discuss, if it couldn't have been given a set of co-op rules too. So two or three players could take different roles in the fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hodges
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
John,

I've been asked this by a couple of people.

I'm going to have a look at this and see what the possibilities are for building in some mutli-player options.

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, certainly worth thinking about.

A year ago I wouldn't have been interested, but there have been so many top notch co-op games lately it seems a waste of a good AI not provide the option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Life intervened and it took a while to finish but the second week was a non-event but the third and fourth week were hairy. Having lost 3 warships, HMS Argonaut , HMS Brilliant and HMS Ardent in week 3, domestic support had taken a knock. On the disastrous first day of the landings at San Carlos , both the Amphibious Assault ship Intrepid and the Troop Carrier St Edmund were sunk (including the loss of SBS Regiment), Domestic Support collapsed and it was all over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.