Hide
12 Posts

Arkham Horror: Innsmouth Horror Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Falcon Point, Chained Movement? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donovan
msg tools
Falcon Point says "During the movement phase, you may spend $2 ... to move any other investigator in an aquatic location to Falcon Point. Investigators may not move any further after moving with this location ability."

Is the following scenario legal?

Investigator 1 is at FP, and Investigators 2 and 3 are at aquatic locations. All investigators have $2.

Movement: Investigator 1 uses the FP ability to bring Investigator 2 to FP.

Movement: Investigator 2 uses the FP ability to bring Investigator 3 to FP. (Investigator 2 isn't moving, but Investigator 3 is.)

Movement: Investigator 3 is stuck here (but could use the FP ability on another investigator at an aquatic location, excluding any that were previously moved by the FP ability).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yes, that would work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
If investigator 1 had $6 could he have moved all 3 investigators (including him/herself) to the same location? This came up in one of our games but we weren't sure how to rule it. in the end we allowed it cause we couldn't see anything that said otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
allstar64 wrote:
If investigator 1 had $6 could he have moved all 3 investigators (including him/herself) to the same location? This came up in one of our games but we weren't sure how to rule it. in the end we allowed it cause we couldn't see anything that said otherwise.

No. You may only activate each location once per turn per investigator. Likewise, you can't spend more than one set of trophies to get Blessings at South Church or Clues at the Science Building.

So even if you had $6 to burn, you would have to do it over 3 turns. Or spend the $2, bring someone over. Trade the money to him, let him spend the $2, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Yes I know that and a month ago I would have said the exact same thing but how is that rule officially phrased?

My point is I know that rule applies when dealing with the Arkham encounter phase however a friend pointed out to me that Falcon Point's special ability specifically says Movement (ie movement phase) which makes me believe it works like the train station.

Although the train station doesn't specifically have it's ability listed as a location ability they should (in theory) work the exact same way (Note I don't have my game with me so I can't check the exact wording of any of this).

I don't think anyone would say that one would not be allowed to move from the Train Station to Bishops Brook Bridge(? I think that's a train depot) then back to the Train Station and then back to Bishops Brook Bridge (or any other train depot) in a turn as long as they had $3 (or a train pass) and before anyone says it there could be trading reasons why one would make such a move.

It should be noted that I'm not arguing any side of this debate but I'm keeping everything as fair and strictly adherent to the rules as possible. Until I can see how that rule (or ruling) about not using location abilities multiple times is exactly worded and whether or not it specifically mentions the Arkham encounter phase I cannot accept that as a valid argument for disallowing its use multiple times for one person.

Unfortunately I'm having trouble locating that rule since all my rule books are a few miles away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You can only use each Location ability ONCE per turn. It has been clarified in the past that you cannot go to the Science building, spend 2 sets of trophy packages and receive 4 Clue tokens. You are limited to one ability ber turn. This has never made it in an FAQ but the most compelling argument is this:

Why would any one ever spend $2 at the hospital/asylum to get back all theri stamina/sanity if they could just use the other ability to get a single point back multiple times for free? The point is you get the one use of the ability per turn. So as is best illustrated here, you either pay $2 once to get it all back or get one back for free and then have to spend multiple turns there to get multiples back.

The train stations work differently. Those are not abilities but "portals" if you will to allow you to travel back and forth between expansion boards. And yes, I would say you could use the depot multiple times per turn as long as you had the movement points and the cash to spend. But it is because it is an imaginary path, not a special ability.

Flacon Point is still a location ability. It just resolves in a different phase than the other locations. So again, following the precedence of the other locations, you get to use this ONE time during your turn. You either get to go to an aquatic location and have an encounter early (and then have a 2nd one the next phase) or you move someone to yourself. That's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
You can only use each Location ability ONCE per turn. It has been clarified in the past that you cannot go to the Science building, spend 2 sets of trophy packages and receive 4 Clue tokens. You are limited to one ability ber turn. This has never made it in an FAQ but the most compelling argument is this:

Normally I'd agree with you, but I think you've got it wrong regarding Falcon Point. Each of the other location abilities stipulate that you use that location instead of having an encounter.You only get one encounter per turn, so you can't use the location ability more than once. Falcon Point's text indicates that you use it during the movement phase with the only other stipulation being that whoever gets moved by the ability cannot move any more that turn. It does not use up movement to use the ability and so to my mind is only limited by the amount of money you've got to spend on ferrying your friends/self around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Clarke
United Kingdom
St Albans
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I would definitely say you can use Falcon Point more than once. Other location special abilities, as noted, replace encounters and therefore can't be used more than once, but FP works differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I am asking for clarification from FFG for the upcoming FAQ. I can tell you that according to another answer, Falcon Point is treated exactly like the other Special Ability locations.

So I have a feeling this is limited to one use per player per turn.

In addition, it is looking like anything that ends movement, ends your movement phase. So I am not even sure if you are going to be able to chain this together so that Player 1 moves Player 2, Player 2 moves Player 3. Because Player 2's movement is over so he may not have anything left to acticate the ability when it comes to him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyn Fox
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This user will support the website in the future.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I am asking for clarification from FFG for the upcoming FAQ. I can tell you that according to another answer, Falcon Point is treated exactly like the other Special Ability locations.

The rules never say that location abilities are limited to once a turn. They say, as others here have pointed out, that it is used instead of having an encounter there. The limit comes from getting one encounter a turn, not from a limit on the ability itself. But Falcon Point doesn't replace an encounter. Therefore, I see no reason it should be limited to once per turn.

As for the "chaining", I'm not sure about that. The question is whether an investigator thats brought over will get a movement phase, or if it'll be skipped due to the FP ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
foxx wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

The rules never say that location abilities are limited to once a turn. They say, as others here have pointed out, that it is used instead of having an encounter there. The limit comes from getting one encounter a turn, not from a limit on the ability itself. But Falcon Point doesn't replace an encounter. Therefore, I see no reason it should be limited to once per turn.

As for the "chaining", I'm not sure about that. The question is whether an investigator thats brought over will get a movement phase, or if it'll be skipped due to the FP ability.

As I am trying to tell you, I got an advance look at the FAQ. Based on a similar question, it appears they are clarifying that you can only use this ability once - even if it is a movement ability instead of an encounter ability. But it isn't crystal clear so I have asked that they include that answer as part of the upcoming FAQ.

So they haven't said it yet, but I suspect based on what I have seen, that they will say it very shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyn Fox
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This user will support the website in the future.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I was referring to is that you said you suspect it'll be once a turn BECAUSE they said it works like other location special abilities. But there is no reason to specifically limit location special abilities to once a turn; they are already limited by there being only one encounter to replace.

It seems odd to make global limit since it would be completely unnecessary for everything -except- Falcon Point. Besides, for other abilities, even ones on locations, a once-a-turn limit wouldn't make sense. For example, the "Inaccessible" ability of Y'ha-nthlei, "Hard Going" at Kingsport Head, or "Inner Sanctum" of Silver Twilight Lodge, or any other location ability that doesn't say "instead of having an encounter here..."

However, having said that, FP's ability is worded poorly, so it's possible it may have been meant to only be used once a turn. Though if so that needs to be fixed by errata to FP's ability, not making an otherwise unnecessary rule. Especially since the FP ability is in need of errata anyway. ("and have an encounter there if applicable..." wait, what?)

Thus, unless they specifically say that Falcon Point is once per turn, I see no reason to think it should be. I suppose we'll have to wait until the new FAQ is released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.