Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Warhammer: Invasion» Forums » General

Subject: How is this (and other LCGs) playable if not buying all the boosters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
László Horváth
Hungary
Veszprém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'm in the same situation than many others, wish to switch from MTG to something that is easier and cheaper to maintain. LCG seems a good attempt for that, so now I want to try one. (never had, nor played an LCG before)

Warhammer: Invasion seems like a good idea, because it's new and very similar to Magic. I like the theme and rules too.
My question is, if it still remains compatible and well playable, if I buy only e.g. half of the boosters? Future bossters don't "build" on having all the previous ones, are they?
Or will my decks be more and more weak if I miss on boosters?

If I have to - or even if I "only" should - buy many-many boosters, then it's the same sinkhole as MTG.

What about other LCGs? Do any of them offer low booster-cross-dependency?
Please suggest!

Thank You!

best regards,
Laszlo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
That's almost the whole point of LCGs.

It works well (though I haven't played invasion).

In truth, Blue Moon might be an LCG, as each expansion was a new faction, and many games do this now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't got the LCG yet myself but certainly want to.

It looks like you could just buy the 'core set' and play with that, without buying any of the boosters if you didn't want to.

The boosters have all the same cards in so you only ever need 1 to get all the cards for that 'booster set'. If you wanted multiples of a particular card you would then have to buy more than 1 booster pack.

The only thing that would occur by not buying the boosters as they come out is that you would miss out on some new cards and game mechanics. There are also going to be new armies to play in them such as Skaven, which are not in the 'core set'.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not completely accurate. Many of the cards in the booster packs contain more than one copy of an individual card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
horlaci wrote:
My question is, if it still remains compatible and well playable, if I buy only e.g. half of the boosters? Future bossters don't "build" on having all the previous ones, are they? Or will my decks be more and more weak if I miss on boosters?

If I have to - or even if I "only" should - buy many-many boosters, then it's the same sinkhole as MTG.

That is incorrect - it would not become the same sinkhole as Magic. The reason that it would be FAR cheaper, is that with a CCG like Magic: The Gathering, for example, you never know if you'll get the Rare cards you're looking for AND enough of them to have multiples for your deck when you buy a whole booster box. You could pay $100 for the latest Magic Booster Box and STILL only get 1 of the Rares you need - and we all know that trading to get the cards you need can be very much hit-or-miss. So then you're looking at either buying another Booster Box (or 2 or 3) OR paying for Singles, which also adds up quickly, if you can even find those cards you need.

With an LCG, if you are determined to stay competitive (which you definitely don't have to do, LCGs allow you to play for fun much more cheaply than with Magic), you can be assured that you'll own all the cards if you buy the Core Set and monthly expansion packs (which are only $10 a pop). It's what I call "Collector Certainty" that means you'll always have the opportunity to have as many great cards as your opponents and it really cuts down on running into the "suitcase" or "rich" players and losing simply because you can't afford as good of a deck as they might have.

Hope that answers your questions. For the record, I just reviewed this game in the Reviews section and I think it's extremely good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
That's not completely accurate. Many of the cards in the booster packs contain more than one copy of an individual card.

Actually it goes like this:

Every lcg pack contains 20 new cards, 10 of them are single copies and the other 10 come in 3 copies each, for a sum of 40 cards per pack.

Each lcg pack contains the exact same cards.

So if you want to play competitive in tournaments (which is something I won't be doing) you may want to have 3 copies of each single. That means 3 lcg packs per month costing 30$ and thats it. You own every card 3 times and are fully competitive.

How much does one spend per month to be fully competitive in MtG? Start counting...

However, this whole LCG format has two aspects:

1. Play competitively for MUCH less than a ccg.
or
2. Play casually with the core set and ocassional (if any) pack buys.

I will go for option 2 and buy the core set and each subsequent pack ONCE, owning EVERY card at least ONCE. And that's more than enough to keep me happy. (Even if the urge for a more competitive deck takes over you, you print some proxies and voila ! You 're there.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Yiorgos, that's what I ment, when I said if you wanted multiples of a certain card you'd have to buy more than 1 booster.

Think I'll go with your option 2 as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If this turns out anything like the Cthulhu LCG from FFG (which I expect it will), you can have a lot of fun buying just the starter and one or two boosters if need be. I have played quite a bit that way and enjoy it immensely.

However, if you have been playing CCG's for a while now, you most likely will get the bug and "have" to buy each and every expansion that comes out. I don't think that's a bad thing and it is certainly cheaper than any other CCG out there, Just be prepared unless you have incredible willpower to buy each expansion when they get released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Horváth
Hungary
Veszprém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank You all for the replies.
Convinced me to try this. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, but I don't think anyone actually answered the question the OP actually asked, or at least the part of it I was most interested in. Forgive me if I misunderstood, but here's what I'm curious about --

Say I only buy like one out of every three of the monthly expansions. Or I buy none for six months and then suddenly buy the most recent one. Do the expansions operate under the assumption that you purchased the previous ones? Are some of the cards in the new packs going to not work because I don't have certain key cards from previous packs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oswego
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me take a stab at the original question:

I have only purchased the base Warhammer: Invasion set and I can tell you that the gameplay is excellent out-of-the-box. It does come with what I would consider "teaser cards" for high elves and dark elves where you can feed them into your Chaos or Order deck, but not build an entire deck out of them unless you pick up one of the expansions. The vanilla set doesn't have that much deckbuilding, so if that is your thing, you may want to consider picking up a booster/expansion set or two, but as previous posters have mentioned, you only need to buy one copy to get all of the cards of that expansion.

So far, my sons and I (who all play very casual MTG) have thoroughly enjoyed the base W:I set. I am considering picking up an expansion or two simply to broaden our experience and add a tiny bit of deckbuilding (but not to the sometimes overwhelming extent that MTG can be).

Gameplay is fast and more confrontational than, say, Dominion, which we enjoy. Games take about the same length as MTG at around an hour, and unlike Magic,

I don't feel my deck would be weaker because I didn't buy a booster, mainly because W:I has some additional strategy elements over MTG. I don't feel as if I am completely dependent on pulling great cards into my hand in order to do well. While I'm sure some boosters will have perhaps unbalanced cards, they gameplay allows you to get around one or two overpowered cards if necessary. I think smart play can allow you to out-maneuver someone's killer card.

You should try it out. :-) FFG provides some great videos on Warhammer: Invasion out on Youtube, tutorial-like videos. Check em out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
You don't "need" to buy any Battle Packs for W:I, it works pretty well just with the Core Set. But, to be truthful, you don't "need" to buy anything beyond 2 Intro Decks to experience magic. If you have "the collector itch" then buying endless Battle Packs of W:I would likely affect you just as much as buying endless Boosters of Magic would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except it would be far cheaper. FAR cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Invasion is better than CoC, as there are fewer factions to dilute your card pool. Can't say about AGOT. There are some CoC cards that won't really help you much unless you have others that are similar, (the Zoogs and the Dreamlands cards come to mind). Other than the elves, which you won't have enough of unless you buy the Assault on Uluthan big expansion, and to a lesser extent the Skavens which gain power for having lots of Skaven in play, you should be pretty good with W:I. The core set gameplay was pretty decent out of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Windopaene wrote:
Invasion is better than CoC, as there are fewer factions to dilute your card pool. ... There are some CoC cards that won't really help you much unless you have others that are similar, (the Zoogs and the Dreamlands cards come to mind).

I'm actually hoping for more W:I factions. When I read about Order of the Silver Twilight in CoC i was all giddy! And I totally agree about Dreamlands, I'm interested to see how useful they end up being in the long run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.