Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A good amount of video games have modeled fishing decently enough where I'll spend my play session doing just that: fishing. It's usually for a goal. In Ultima Online, you could fish for treasure maps, of which you'd sail to the location on the map, dock, go on land and get your booty!

Easily my favorite part of the game.

I was curious if any board games simulate this sort of adventure or play style. It doesn't have to be fishing per se, but that particular theme REALLY clicks with me. The adventure part would be nice as well, something that a character could do. But the fishing would be pretty important. I guess the map could be modular, and you might have to fish in certain areas to get the piece needed to complete some mystical THING, you get the idea. Each area may have pitfalls that your ship could suffer, I dunno.

Or am I crazy and this kind of board game would be boring as hell, best left to the video game world?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One recent game is If Wishes Were Fishes!. It sounds like it might be what you want.

Quote:
Players are fishermen, trying to catch the most valuable fish and sell them in the market for the best prices. With limited space for storing caught fish, players must use their wits to get the right fish to market at the right times. This is where the granting of wishes is most helpful. Just catch the fish who will grant the wish you want, throw it back, and you get your wish. Sounds simple, but the game does require a bit of thinking and planning. The wishes can help you increase the value of fish when sold, grant you extra storage space, and several other useful things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah cool! Will definitely look into this!

It certainly matches most of my criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick W
Canada
North Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say Hey, That's My Fish!, but although it has fish it doesn't really have "fishing".

Thebes could be what you are looking for. Players are archiologists traveling around Europe looking for treasure.

When you dig for treasure you actually draw tiles from a bag. Sometimes you get the goods, and sometimes you just get dirt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
patisneat wrote:
I was going to say Hey, That's My Fish!, but although it has fish it doesn't really have "fishing".

Thebes could be what you are looking for. Players are archiologists traveling around Europe looking for treasure.

When you dig for treasure you actually draw tiles from a bag. Sometimes you get the goods, and sometimes you just get dirt!

Given the right theme, I enjoy drawing from a random pile. How does play Thebes play 2player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbcorp26 wrote:
Given the right theme, I enjoy drawing from a random pile. How does play Thebes play 2player?

I've played it once with two players, and it was pretty fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb

Angling

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well fishing.

First there is a very good game where - admittedly already fished - fish are auctioned and then sold. You are a fish seller on a fish market. If that is fishy enough for You I would recommend You look into this review http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/436099 and join this fish guy: Cash-a-Catch

Then there is a game where You really actually fish! It is called Kayanak and has the players exploring a frozen lake, actually and really poking holes in the ice (well white paper) and getting the fish underneath out - if there is fish. Player with most fish wins. Like in real life. (anyone remember the "Home improvement" episode with Tim and his assistant ice fishing? Tim losing the car keys in the fishing hole, having the fish repellent perfume etc.). Kayanak is geared towards children so if You have kids You have an excuse...

And lastly there is Gone Fishing! where players actually fish. One is the fisherman, one is the fish...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.