Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Boivin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played 2 games yesterday, and really loved it. One was an easy victory for Slaanesh, the second one, as we knew the rules better, was a tougher win, but Slaanesh shared a dial victory with Tzeentch, but won the tiebreaker.

However, something after these 2 games really stroke us. We haven't ruined a single region. Some came close, but that's it. And when we looked at the VP track, for both games, the scores were really low, especially when you need to score 50 VPs to win. It seems that dial advancement victories are much more easier to accomplish, at least, in a 4 players game.

So, I would like to know, is aiming for a ruination (VP) victory worthwhile, or is it better to advance the dials as much as possible, despite the god played? Also, what is your ratio of Domination (that includes Khorne, even if it doesn't have to do with corruption) vs Ruination victories?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Were you using the errata for Slaanesh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boivin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Were you using the errata for Slaanesh?

Hah. No.

But even if it would have been 2 instead of 1, Tzeentch and Nurgle's dials were moving faster than VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Here's the problem: It is is easy to just focus on advancing your dial and you can do a minimal amount to accomplish that. But two things prevent that from happening: one is the end condition of only having 7 rounds before the game wins (in a 4-player game). And the other is that with the exception of Slaanesh, every god has someone that can beat them on the victory dial much quicker. For someone like Nurgle, who must advance his dial 10 times (I think), there isn't enough time to just focus on this. So for him in particular, scoring points, especially through ruination, is the best option.

So before anything, make sure you are playing correctly. No matter how many dial advancment tokens you collect, you are only guarnateed 1 tick. Whether you collect 1 or 5, you can only get one advancement at the end of the round. IF you happen to have the most tokens, THEN you get a second bonus tick. Some people that think dial advancement is the easiest win, usually play this wrong and advacne a tick for each token.

After that, focus on each god and see how easy they can win by other means. Khrone can get a lot of advancment tokens as well but is usually pressed to be in first place. So he usually gets some good points by dominanting and possibly being in on the ruination bonus points. He usually doesn't have enough Cultists to be competitive in teh final ruination scores.

Nurgle is best suited to go after points or end the game early through ruination. His upgrades are suited to this with the bonus points for ruined regions and being able to move his lepers all over the place to get in on final ruination. Plus, he has a few cards that let him place more corruption than just through cultists.

Slaanesh and Tzeentch are better suited to get the win through dial advancment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boivin
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Brian. We had overlooked the bonus second tick for the player who has the most tokens. Without the errata, Slaanesh often had 2 dial advancement tokens, but with that rule, it wouldn't have been every single turn. Thanks a lot, now I need to play it again very very soon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milhouse46 wrote:

However, something after these 2 games really stroke us.

That was probably Slaanesh coping a feel from behind the sofa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
milhouse46 wrote:
Thanks Brian. We had overlooked the bonus second tick for the player who has the most tokens. Without the errata, Slaanesh often had 2 dial advancement tokens, but with that rule, it wouldn't have been every single turn. Thanks a lot, now I need to play it again very very soon...

If unchecked, Slaanesh could get 2 ticks per round in which case the game would be over in only 4 rounds. So the way to stop him is prevent him from getting the dial advancment tokens by killing off his Cultists (Khorne is best suited for this though the other 2 can join in) -OR- keep pace with him or outdo him and get more tokens than him so he is limited to one tick per round (this wil be easier in the beginning of the game when he only has 2 regions to work with and harder if the OW deck gives him more nobles and tokens on the board) -OR- end the game before the auto-victory on the dials (again, Nurgle is best suited for this since he can get the most points as he is best suited to ruin regions).

But you have to work fast to stop the dial advancements. In most games, Nurgle gets left behind as he putz around infecting everyone. Then the disease incubates and outbreaks and he can make up lost time quickly. So he needs to make sure Slaanesh isn't getting double ticks each round so he has the full 6 rounds to work his chaos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. In our first game, I played Slaanesh and never got a double tick on the dial. Khorne was all over the first region I tried for, wiping me out, and I ended up spending a couple of turns with everything I had in a single region. I did end up winning, but it was by victory points, not by the dial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But you have to work fast to stop the dial advancements. In most games, Nurgle gets left behind as he putz around infecting everyone. Then the disease incubates and outbreaks and he can make up lost time quickly. So he needs to make sure Slaanesh isn't getting double ticks each round so he has the full 6 rounds to work his chaos.

You gotta have eyes even on the back of ya 'eads, and according to some of the art, it might be the case...
freely inspired by DowntimeTown ZAAOOOZAAA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.