Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Johnson
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As every experienced WotR player will know, the Character Combat system needs drastic overhaul. Playing with my Daughter recently has brought this problem to the fore- the results are madly frustrating to me and discouraging to her.

Character Combat is of such critical importance in War of the Rings that it deserves, nay must have, better more realistic treatment, even at the expense of playability. It merits a sub-game of it's own!!

As a case in point, I fully believe it is within Tolkien's "Canon Parameters" for Aragorn II with Anduril to defeat the Lord of the Nazgul in single combat, (if one ignores the Prophecy of Malbeth the Seer that tLotN "will not fall by the hand of man") though Aragorn might suffer severely in such an encounter. Perhaps more realistically, Aragorn could certainly dispatch, say, the Mouth of Sauron with relative ease, suffering very little in the exchange. None of these results are possible within the Rules as they stand.

I've been trying to remember how personal combat was conducted in D&D- the last game of which I played 29 years ago!!.......

Has anyone ever tried another game system with Character Combat? Adaptations? I'd really appreciate any suggestions!! I have a dread that my Daughter might loose interest in gaming completely having to suffer at the hands of bad, or rather simplistic, game design.

Help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, combat consisted of each side getting into single file lines. There was no advantage in numbers. Your #1 guy fought the other #1 guy. When one fell, the surviving #1 guy would fight the new #2, etc... The problem was that as long as one side wanted to continue the fight you couldn't stop and you had to run the entire party through the meat grinder and probably lose the game right then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Johnson
United States
St. Cloud
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I know why Berg kept the system simple!! gulp

Once you try to mod, there is no end to it. Just doing the character sheets for each of the 23 WotR characters would be a nightmare. Endless argument about Gandalf's Spell abilities and Aragorn's Armor Class.....

Ugh-forget it- I'm bailing out of this project!!

(sqawking chicken noises)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a better, and somewhat more complete combat system would be do-able, but the idea of taking it as far as D&D or any RPG is way too much. Look instead at the systems in the various Dungeon Crawlers or character driven adventure games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.