Space Hulk (third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: eBay insanity... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A question for people in the know.. is this a common thing in Warhammer world? A guy selling two painted terminator figures that came from this very Space Hulk box for $109? A box which costs $100 by itself and contains 50 such miniatures AND five pounds of OTHER components?

I don't care how well painted those figures are.. that's $55 per tiny plastic figure!? I mean, geez...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
Agreed, I dont get it either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mars
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on how nicely the miniatures are painted. REALLY well done, like those in that auction, can fetch high prices, as alot of time and skill goes into getting a miniature into that condition and people are willing to pay to have miniatures that nice (I suppose). Poorly painted miniatures are usually worth less than their initial value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the thing to ask yourself is how long it would take you to get the models from the condition they are in on the sprue to the finished model you see in the photographs. Multiply the number of hours by your usual hourly rate and see whether or not it comes to about the asking price. I don't paint miniatures myself but I have seen it being done and the time and effort, to say nothing of the skill, must have some added value.

(Edit: In the advert the guy says he can do only 1 or 2 models a day).

How much did the paint and canvas on the Mona Lisa cost Leonardo?

By the way I have no connection to the seller and did not even know he existed until your post. I do have some admiration for what he has been able to produce, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
and contains 50 such miniatures AND five pounds of OTHER components?
I thought it only came with 11 Terminators...

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If miniatures are painted extremely well, the costs of figures can be much higher than base costs.

If you think the auction you mentioned is insane, I have a related story. I saw an auction over six months ago for a large W40K army (I believe it was primarily Blood Angels). The force composition was impressive and the painting was exquisite.

The Buy It Now cost and/or starting bid was interesting . . . 9,000 USD. gulp I could have had a V-8 . . . engine-equipped car!

Two years ago when I acquired my Space Hulk 1E set, after waiting 18 years, the set included an extra pewter figure that won a major painting award. This year I have seen figures painted to that standard command high prices.

What is sad to me is many individuals purchased Space Hulk 3E sets for the only purpose to sell the components individually to make a maximum profit. I understand this is capitalism and I do believe in a free market.

I am saddened these speculators have taken several copies of the game out of distribution many gamers have wanted to purchase but cannot obtain, either because of logistics (i.e. sold out of their area) or did not have the financial resources in this slowly recovering recession.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. L. Lloyd
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
...as in my brain fails me at times.
badge
"I like turtles"
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why people are so nuts over the miniatures. For whatever their reason, it allowed me to pick up an extra set of room tiles, doors, door stands, counters, rule books (everything besides the plastic except for the door bases) for a mere $25 so I'm happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think $2,600 for the new Space Hulk with all figs painted as beautifully as the two you linked to is not too unreasonable. If you've got the $$ but not the time or talent, I could think of worse things to spend your money on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theyre alright, but...$55? too much for those minis. theyre neat, but nothing spectacular. a neat, bold paint job tends to look good in photos.

its madness!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check www.coolminiornot.com

Sort on rating and check out the prices
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami Finkelshtein
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Just another day on the staircase
mbmbmbmbmb
skatingtortoise wrote:
theyre alright, but...$55? too much for those minis. theyre neat, but nothing spectacular. a neat, bold paint job tends to look good in photos.

its madness!

Madness?

THIS...
IS
SPACEHULK!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was wealthy enough I would pay someone to paint all of my figures to that standard, because I sure can't do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jackolantern wrote:
If I was wealthy enough I would pay someone to paint all of my figures to that standard, because I sure can't do that.

I'd save my money for extra time off from making more money, and just play lots of Hulk with my friends on my poorly painted miniatures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jackolantern wrote:

That plus the fact that my copy would never get played is why I don't feel too bad about missing this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:

...A guy selling two painted terminator figures that came from this very Space Hulk box for $109? A box which costs $100 by itself and contains 50 such miniatures AND five pounds of OTHER components?...

A box that used to cost $100-$110...

Lowest price on the Geek for the US market is $139, highest is $179...

If people want the game and can get to a local GW store they had best get off the pot and buy into the game now... I don't see the price coming down anytime soon unless GW releases another edition.

$55 for two painted plastic minis does sound steep, but like noted if a person has the money but not the time or skills $55 may be attractive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plastic is not worth it. No crispy details. It must at least be metal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I paint and sell minis on eBay, and they are of a VERY high standard.
Just check my contributions for proof if you need.

$55 for a single miniature is not unreasonable at all, so long as the standard is high.
To be completely honest, a miniature that I sell for $55 after I've assembled, based, primed, painted, and varnished it, works out to less than $2 an hour.

What I don't understand is why art and creativity in some forms is completely undervalued.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eker wrote:
Plastic is not worth it. No crispy details. It must at least be metal.

Either you've not seen what can be done with plastic these days, or your standards are really, really on a different scale than mine.

$55 for a painted mini sounds steep...but check out that work. We're not talking a clicks game, mass painted figure. Those really are the works of a pro. Those aren't just game pieces, they are literally works of art. There's maybe a handful of people total who can do that kind of work...I certainly can't, and I've been painting minis and models for close to 30 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghool wrote:

$55 for a single miniature is not unreasonable at all, so long as the standard is high.

[...]

What I don't understand is why art and creativity in some forms is completely undervalued.

Painting such miniatures well will take at least a few hours per miniature. So they have to be expensive to cover the time effort. I totally agree that it is strange that hardly anybody is willing to pay reasonable prices for painted miniatures.

I am just looking at the images of your painted miniatures and I am really enthusiastic. Great paint work, great bases (I love the lava).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghool wrote:
I paint and sell minis on eBay, and they are of a VERY high standard.
Just check my contributions for proof if you need.

To be completely honest, a miniature that I sell for $55 after I've assembled, based, primed, painted, and varnished it, works out to less than $2 an hour.

You're absolutely right. Someone who can paint miniatures to that standard is just as deserving of being considered an artist as anyone, and yet he/she seldom receives compensation commensurate with their efforts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so $55 for a mini that an artisan spends, let's say, three hours on = $18.33 per hour, not including materials and tools. You're paying for the artist's time, and extremely high skill level. You'd probably spend about as much to have someone paint a wall. I can paint a wall. But I can't even begin to create a work of art like those gorgeous figures. Is it expensive? Sure. Is it unreasonable? I don't think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saw a painted set for 550 dollars starting bid...

(reminder to self: pre-order 4th edition is 2029!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leaxe wrote:

Have a link to the 550 dollar set? I'd love to take a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Bickman wrote:
leaxe wrote:

Have a link to the 550 dollar set? I'd love to take a look.

Here is one of them-

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPACE-HULK-PRO-PAINTED_W0QQitemZ11043407...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! Totally worth it IMHO.

Edited to say: Nice avatar, by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.