Cutthroat Caverns» Forums » General

Subject: Potion of Iron Skin - too strong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been having problems with the Potion of Iron Skin. In the 10ish games we've played so far, whoever has this potion during the last encounter (barring Ashtongue) gets that last kill, especially if that monster hits hard and nasty.

Players never use it up until they get to a good encounter, and then they just kill everyone off.

We find it too strong and are thinking about taking it out of the game entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are the other players letting the one guy hang onto the potion? Play those stab and grabs or make sure the player gets knocked out of the game by the earlier encounters!...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:
Why are the other players letting the one guy hang onto the potion? Play those stab and grabs or make sure the player gets knocked out of the game by the earlier encounters!...

thing is, whoever grabs the potion then just waits to use it at the best encounter too. it ends up being about who has the potion of iron skin during the encounter with the most damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kookoobah wrote:
Titeman wrote:

thing is, whoever grabs the potion then just waits to use it at the best encounter too. it ends up being about who has the potion of iron skin during the encounter with the most damage.

Yeah, I love this game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Covert
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Creator:

Well, I've played this game probably the most of anyone. That is the first time that I have heard or seen this being a problem. The Potion is definitely a powerful one and using it to survive the last encounter is a good use. It's just that most players, when they get it or steal it, use it sooner than later on a meaty or dangerous creature BEFORE someone can steal it from them. I certainly encourage anyone to make house rules for any game in their collection, but it may be all that is needed here is a change in strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kookoobah wrote:

This doesn't happen when we play. The fact that it can be stolen very easily forces me to use the potions at the earliest convenience. There are just so many ways that the potion may not end up in my posession at the last or biggest encounter. Also, there are also too many ways to force an all player loss that having the potion at the end is far from a guaranteed win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.