Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not going to Essen this year, but was thinking of doing it in a future year.

Anyone with experience bring games in mass as luggage through customs. What (if anything) do you have to pay, what type of documentation do you need to bring and what is the best way to answer the questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F. F.
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ever been in Europe? Or outside the USA?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord Warlock wrote:
Ever been in Europe? Or outside the USA?

I have lived in Europe for 8 years, and in asia for 2. I filled my passport with stamps, even after they stopped stamping in Europe.

I haven't brought boxes of games through customs in the airport hence my question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
I would check this with some of the publishers here on the geek.
I know that last year Zmangames didn't have Pandemic at their booth because the box missed some EU-approved-symbol and customs didn't allow it into Germany...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
Hi Travis,
sorry, I can't help you with first hand experience but here is the english homepage of the german Zoll (Customs):
http://www.zoll.de/english_version/index.html

The answers to you specific question should be in this PDF:
http://www.zoll.de/e0_downloads/d0_veroeffentlichungen/flyer...
From quickly scanning it, it seems, that you can bring "other goods" worth 430 EUR into the EU.

Edit: Sorry, I only realised from Maurice's reply, that you plan on coming as an exhibitor. The above PDF only applies to non-commercial imports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've carried lots of games back, but never taken them into the EU.

Are you taking new or used? If the latter, I think there's no issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
T Worthington wrote:
I filled my passport with stamps, even after they stopped stamping in Europe.

I think that it is actually illegal to do the stamping yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:
T Worthington wrote:
I filled my passport with stamps, even after they stopped stamping in Europe.

I think that it is actually illegal to do the stamping yourself.

I was not implying that I added novelty stamps to my passport to shown I had travelled to a country.

Many countries outside of the EU still stamp, especially in Asia. Certain countries require visas for Americans, those stamps can take a whole page. And sometimes they still stamp when you enter the EU from overseas. So its still possible to get quite a few stamps in your passport, but certainly much harder than it was.

What I was really trying to get at was what certifications that games to be sold in EU needed to get through customs, and whether it would be wise to try to get games shipped to Essen ahead of time or bring as luggage if they weren't made in the EU.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.