Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In about three hours I painted all my Space Marines (about the same amount of time I used to paint my Genestealers).

I make no illusions as to the fact they are crude in comparison to some of the masterpieces I have been seeing here on BGG, but I do not have all those wild skills, eyesight, and supplies to do what others have done.

So, if you simply want some minis that are not plain red, but don't have the time, experince, interest, or skills to do wonderfully detailed Space Marines, here is a solution.

Do the following steps:

1. Keep your Marines on the sprues. I found this to be easier than assembling them first.

2. Mix about half ounce water with half ounce black acrylic paint with about 12-15 drops of car or floor wax. The wax helps the paint stick to the plastic. Mix well. Use a bit more black paint if you want really dark crevices.

3. Take a 3/4 or 1 inch soft brush and brush on large amounts of the mixture to all of the Marine parts. Work fast and furious, but do not use such force that you could break off small parts.

4. Starting with the first piece you painted, take a soft cloth and carefully wipe off all excess paint. Black should remain in the crooks and crevices.

5. Paint all the weapons and bases with ordinary black acrylic paint (use a smaller brush). Allow to dry.

6. Using silver acrylic (use a smallish brush so you do not get paint spread onto unwanted areas), drybrush the weapons and bases with a bit of silver. Be sure to use VERY LITTLE paint on your drybrushing work.

7. Assemble your Marines- use a drop of glue per piece if you have it.

8. Use a bit of acrylic crimson or cadmium red to very lightly drybrush some of the armor to lighten areas you consider too dark.

9. Paint the Genestealer skull/spine in one of the Marines hands a pale color like grey, light green, or bone color.

10. Overlook all other details unless you just want to proceed further.

11. Coat the finished models with a matte spray (or liquid if that is all you have, but be careful. It could smear your paint). Use sparingly.

12. Play Space Hulk- wipe out the Genestealers!

I realize some BGGers find such simple painting to be blasphemous for such beautifully detailed miniatures, but some of us have to use the skills we possess to do what we can.

Hope this helps you pimp out your Space Hulk a bit, and check out my other post as to how to paint all your Genestealers in 3 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Kubera
Poland
flag msg tools
Really not bad for such a quick paintjob. If you are satisfied with that, who am I to tell you that you should do something more? But if you care to listen, even a little bit of golden paint on the details would HIGHLY improve their look. And it's really as easy as what you've done so far.

As for me, I'd never call them finished - if they were mine, it would be an early work in progress stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fully understand that more detail can easily be added, but once you start adding a little more, where do you stop?

I did just the bare bones minimum to get them to look at least better than straight out of the box.

What anyone cares to do to them after this is up to them.

But you are right, just a bit of gold here and there would do a bit more for the look.

Thanks for the input, Bartosz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rami Finkelshtein
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Just another day on the staircase
mbmbmbmbmb
This is your game. Paint as much as you want and don't let others tell you otherwise

If you are happy with your minis as above (and they do look quite nice since now they have more "depth") then it is fine.

Play and Have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Grey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:

2. ...The wax helps the paint stick to the plastic.

I'm fixin' to paint mine soon, so reading all the paint threads.

Your part about the wax confuses me. I thought washing the minis before painting was essential to remove any wax/oils (left from the machines that cast them) that might later make your paint more likely to come off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:
I realize some BGGers find such simple painting to be blasphemous for such beautifully detailed miniatures, but some of us have to use the skills we possess to do what we can.

Bah. One should never have to apologize for taking the time to paint their figures.

Well done, mate. Happy gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, unless you use a toothbrush to clean out all the nooks and crannies, you cannot get all the release residue off of the model. The wax added to the paint will help the paint mixed with it adhere to the residue in the tiny spaces.

Of course, if you very carefully scrub each miniature with a soft toothbrush and dishwashing soap, you can skip on the wax mixed with your paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.