Subject: This one has become 1 of my favorites rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just really really enjoy this one, and with 92 logged plays I fell it just keeps getting better and better. My friend Paul feels the same way and we play this one as much as we can. We got in a game this morning and the first round was brutal to me. He just kept getting the right tiles to screw me over. When a big number ( 5 or 6 ) is laid down first you tend to put your better castles around it, and we started with a +6. I put the 4 ( the highest point castle - you only have 1 ) castle up and down and my 3 castle ( you only have 2 ) beside it. Paul picks the -6 ( you are drawing random tiles from 6 to negative 6 ) and places it so it intersects both my good castles, I am not happy with this, but it is a luck game and he was lucky this round. and then he got the dragon that totally screwed me over. His secret tile was a +4 which he used about 3/4 of the way through the game to good effect. I had a Mountain as a secret tile and it looked like early on it would be used well, blocking the dragon, but as it turned out I could not use it to any effect the whole round. Paul was just getting good tile picks and I was not. So at the end of round 1 I was down about 45 points or so.

Next round sees me doing better and although I did not get many points I did manage to make him lose a lot of points, which is fine with me. I had the -3 for my secret tile. This round started with a +5 so we both had big tiles around it, he then picked a -2 and placed it in the cross hairs of my 2 big castles, so I used my secret tile and hit him with the -3 hoping to even it out a little. The drawing went more my way and got a mountain to cut him out of his biggest $ row. I go he -6 early on and threw it on his best row where he laready ahd the -3 against him. This was a round that was pretty strange since 3 of the 4 outside rows got filled in before most of the center did - something I don´t really remember seeing in any other games of this I have played. So I took him down and he was only up by about 18 points, again I hardly scored any points this round, but I got him to lose a bunch.

The 3rd round started off with a +6 and we where battling it out again. He did not get to place a bad tile on my cross hairs early on and I had good placement. A lot of times you have to decide if you want to place a castle or try and get a bad tile in the draw to screw the other guy, you could of course get a good tile to help yourself but early on this could lead to helping the other guy also. Paul went for the tile draw and got a positive number which really helped me later on, I started laying down castles and more positives where coming up. I was doing really well and saw I had 7 castles down to his 4, there really was no negatives down and I was looking good but if the dragon came up he could really screw me at this point, or a high negative would also ruin my plans. I got lucky and grabbed the dragon next and a big sigh came out knowing he could not really mess with my big money rows and there was really only 1 spot to play the dragon that would really mess with Paul and not hurt me, any place else would have really hurt me. Then for my next turn I said I really need the gold mine and low and behold I pick it up to double the $ on 2 of my rows which I knew probably meant the game ( it also closed out both rows so could not get in on them or hurt them with a negative number. Hardly any negatives came up this round and I used all my castles which neither thing happens that often. I ended up winning by over 40 points and it was a solid victory for me.

The thing I love about this game is that it is always so different, so much depends on what the first tile laid is and then on what the next 3-5 tile are. The game is always different and for me at least always a great time. I am still finding new strategies and learning interesting things about just how cool this game really is. For me this is the perfect length of game and I love the randomness of the tile draw and the fact that it is a numbers games.

Game On´
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
cool. you have inspired me to bring this out again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cooksey
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm on a podcast! - www.playontarget.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of my favorites, too. I play games during lunch breaks with a couple of co-workers. One of the reasons this keeps showing up at our table is that it's fun and we can fit two or three games into an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Croatia
flag msg tools
Wow, you must have a really good memory if you remember such details of how the game went. I mean, the game is a bit dry, that's why I say that. I know I probably wouldn't remember a thing after.

Haven't played it for a while cause my friends prefer other, "funnier" games.
Also, I prefer it with 3 players, more conflict and revenge = more fun (for me at least).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.