Subject: A few theme questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't give a lot of concern to theme, but the folks I will be teaching this to do, so had a couple of questions.

I get that you are an itenerant jewelry maker setting out on your own to gather the raw materials (gems) for the jewelry. If you deliver a commission, a craftsman will agree to work with you on your jewelry. If enough craftsmen join you, you get a nice workshop for them to craft the jewelry in. However...

1. Why do you have to have food (provisions) to move through a city?
2. Why are gems laying in the middle of the road for the grabbing? Perhaps they are hidden in the side of the hill, underground or in a nearby stream, I suppose.
3. Why do you need a ship to get a gem located in the middle of the valley?
4. Why do you have to pay somebody a coin when you land on their space?

Again, I know it doesn't greatly impact gameplay, but with new players (especially casual gamers) thematic explanations can actually aid in helping them to remember the rules, so thought I'd ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
1. Why do you have to have food (provisions) to move through a city?

Imagine the cities are huge and it takes you a full day to get through the city - I'm sure you'd get hungry.

jedimusic wrote:
2. Why are gems laying in the middle of the road for the grabbing?

Answered your own question here - Perhaps they are hidden in the side of the hill, underground or in a nearby stream, I suppose.

jedimusic wrote:
3. Why do you need a ship to get a gem located in the middle of the valley?

You don't need a ship - you go to the harbour where the ships are docked and are full of precious gems from faraway lands which are available to you.

jedimusic wrote:
4. Why do you have to pay somebody a coin when you land on their space?

Jewellers are a territorial bunch and they'll cut you unless you appease them with a gift.

These answers are from my own imagination and are in no way representative of the original game designers intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess for the cities, I rationalized that walking through, you could get enough food to get to the next city. But if you wanted to get enouhg provisions to go farther than the next city, it would take some time.

I like Daniel's answer on the next two.

I figured that it was professional courtesy to give a gift to another gemologist when you see them. If you walk through without acknowledging them, it's free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thoughtful replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
2. Why are gems laying in the middle of the road for the grabbing?

I believe the "backpacks" are actually tools ("equipment") that you use to dig up the gems. Of course, your keen nose already knows where all the gems are buried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schacht
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) if you don’t have food when travelling you have to stop in a city.
2) yeah, with a bigger board it would have been nice to place the stuff aside.
3) this is just a field for the gems. it has no geographical link.
if you like you can put them aside the board. the story is: in a harbour you can get goods like gems.
4) tell them it is for overnight accomodation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those sound good, but I'll probably wait until I hear something more official.

Seriously though, thanks for the feedback, Michael (as well as all the great games!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.