United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, let 'em have a good cry. Maybe they'll get it out of their system. Who cares?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I didn't realise that people got so emotional about games rankings.

I hope that guy quits though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

To be frank, after the number of complaints from buyers relating to just about every component in the box....all that is left is the game play. If it is that good, it might deserve it. Somehow, I doubt that this will be the case, IMHO.

It is a "limited edition" ; then the heavy price tag; some gamers might try to justify all the negatives and make out that the game play is "great". Sorry, I will not buy that excuse. It is a game that got a lot of hype, caused panic to some and hardship to others. It is just another dungeon crawler with minis that one has to assemble oneself (and not without injury to both human and plastic bits) furthermore, there is now questions asked about the quality of the board tiles.

A fad that quite a number will regret having parted with their money to get a so-so game.

Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:

To be frank, after the number of complaints from buyers relating to just about every component in the box....all that is left is the game play. If it is that good, it might deserve it. Somehow, I doubt that this will be the case, IMHO.

It is a "limited edition" ; then the heavy price tag; some gamers might try to justify all the negatives and make out that the game play is "great". Sorry, I will not buy that excuse. It is a game that got a lot of hype, caused panic to some and hardship to others. It is just another dungeon crawler with minis that one has to assemble oneself (and not without injury to both human and plastic bits) furthermore, there is now questions asked about the quality of the board tiles.

A fad that quite a number will regret having parted with their money to get a so-so game.

Regards.

Certainly you are entitled to your opinion and I respect it, when it stays an opinion; but saying that someone calling the game "great" despite what may or may not be happening an "excuse"? Not to mention we're forgetting that yeah, when people have an issue with the components or some such and there is an issue, they will be very vocal about it which there's nothing wrong with. However, when you order something and everything is as it should be, you hear squat. People don't generally go to a forum to write, "Got my copy and everything in the box is nice and complete as I would expect."

That being said, yeah, there is a crazy hype machine on this one, can't argue that, yet you say, "...all that is left is the gameplay. *IF* that is good." (my emphasis added). So, you're judging several gamers as well as the game itself with no experience of it? You also mention it's, "Just another dungeon crawler..." What about it makes it just like every other dungeon crawl game? What in it's mechanics make it just like, say, Dungeonquest? Or Descent? Or Dungeon? Or Tomb? Take a look at those games, by the way, and tell me what *they* have in common mechanically, and then we'll talk.

Ultimately, I don't particularly care what the ratings are one way or the other and do find it odd so many people get so upset about ratings (I will likely rate Space Hulk a 10, on a sidenote, but I want to play it a little more before deciding on that), so it's not really much of an issue to me. I just find it interesting to take a shot at people rating it highly without having played it or having reasons why it's, "just another dungeon crawler."

edit: minor typos bugging me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
The game play has changed somewhat from the last edition, I grant you that. However, has it changed that much as to make it worth while for the price tag ?

Having read the comments made by avid pre-"limited" edition SHulkers who have compared the gameplay, the changes made do add a little. A little is not enough for the price tag.

Ofcourse, those who have never play SH will obviously experience another dungeon crawler style game and all I am saying is: it is just that, nothing extraordinary. There are other Dungeon crawlers that, IMHO, play well and in the case of SH....that too will play well. Does that make the gameplay better ? Again, I doubt it.

It is the hype that caused some (not all, thank goodness) to part with their money into thinking this game might be unique, a game that will put all the rest back on the shelf. That is hype I do not like.

It will be another Cabbage Doll fad to newbies and they may find nothing extraordinary in the gameplay to warrant the price tag.

I never go by the ratings either. If a game is good it will stand the test of time, whether expensive or less expensive than other games. How many games could one buy for the price that SH is selling ? Well, if the gameplay is good, no need to look for others, but if similar to other DCs....no, it is not worth it.

Regards.

Edit: Yep, typo !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vezner
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:
The game play has changed somewhat from the last edition, I grant you that. However, has it changed that much as to make it worth while for the price tag ?

Yeah, see, SH third edition is still cheaper than a SH first edition set in good condition. So you're actually getting the game cheaper. And you can still play it with first edition rules and missions if you want, those are available online.

There have been some complaints, some by people who haven't played the game. But the components remain unprecedented in their lavishness and beauty. The game play remains incredible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete lovatt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
got to say, had two friends round last night and they we're both instantly interested in the new space hulk, both very impressed by the quality in the box.
then we had some games. we had a riot! was well ace, just as fun as i remember, although i feel the marines are a bit stronger in this version, in 1st ed they didn't stand a chance

if people want to throw their dolly out the pram because of a game ranking, well next month something new will come out and alter it all again won't it? i'm not big on hissy fits
pete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vezner
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Melonfish wrote:
if people want to throw their dolly out the pram because of a game ranking, well next month something new will come out and alter it all again won't it? i'm not big on hissy fits
pete

Exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of all the complaints, what baffles me is the gripe about the price tag. Do any of the people complaining play wargames? Check out some of the prices on those. Paper maps and cardboard counters, yet there are many that are over $99 msrp, and a large number that are at least half that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If some of the copies had problems with the tiles and counters, then just send a message to GW and they'll probaby replace them. I have seen very few such complains, so it may be somewhat isolated... My copy is fine btw...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.