Popular Tags: [View All]
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night was David’s last Basement game night at Rob’s and he asked that we play A Game of Thrones. Rob went over the rules for the new player, John, and we started playing right at 8 pm.

We played the houses next to our seats.

I was House Baratheon
Rob was House Greyjoy
David was House Lannister
John was House Tyrell
Sean was House Stark

Within the first few turns I was able to spread to the Finger and begin building forces enough to take the citadels on my side of the map. The citadel at King’s Landing had been placed over the stronghold and it wasn’t until turn seven that any of us realized there was a stronghold there, so it sat uncontested for most of the game. I was kind of upset about it at first, but as the game came to an end I controlled it and no one was able to get enough forces close enough to take it.

Sean and I fought the first battle of the game on turn one as he moved to destroy my fleet I had place in The Narrow Sea. I was lucky in my random draw and I eliminated his fleet and maintained control of the Narrow Sea.

After the initial land grab we flipped the cards. Muster was the first card and we all knew we were in for some epic fights soon. We watched the Wildings move, winter is coming.

John made a few mistakes, having never played the game before and the House Lannister was able to move his supply to the end of the track (to the 6). David was able, within a few turns, to have the largest army on the board. Once John and Rob saw this, they spent a number of turns trying to hem the House Lannister and threaten the cities and strongholds in their control. Red was imposing throughout the game.

House Greyjoy got attacked several times throughout the game and seemed to be out of the game. Stark was biding his time, waiting for a moment to break through the ranks of the Greyjoys and the Lannisters. The Greyjoys had an impressive army in Seagard and the Lannisters had one in Riverrun. Neither could move against the other as the Starks were waiting to pick the bones of both when the battle was over.

On turn five I controlled five city/stronghold spaces- Sunspear (John was concentrating the forces of House Tyrell to the north), Storms End, Crackclaw Point, The Eyrie, and Dragonstone. We still hadn’t realized the stronghold at King’s Landing was covered. When turn seven came and we saw the covered stronghold, I was able to quickly take it.

Turn nine left us with no clear winner, other than the fact that I had 6 cities/ strongholds. The House Tyrell was able to take Storm’s end from me this turn, but I was able to hold off the Lannister threat (the Greyjoy threat diverted their attention).

At the end of turn nine we had to bid on the Iron Throne, the Sword and the Raven. We also had to fend of the Northerners. I had several crowns while others had just a few. John was in control of the Iron Throne in turn nine and I was unable to convince him to place me near the end of the row, as everyone had bid nothing on it. He made me first. I had the Iron Throne, but I was first in the round. He placed himself last. I could feel the noose tighten. Red was poised to take Crackclaw point and Green to take Storms End. I would quickly fall to 4 cities and red would move to five or even six for the win. The Lannisters were in a strong position to win. Using my somewhat weakened position, I was able to convince John to give me the Sword as Both the Greyjoys and Lannisters would obviously attack him, as there was no way for me to even get to him. We defeated the North attack and started turn ten.

On turn ten I was at 5 cities and in the lead, but would quickly fall to the Lannisters. They were at 3 cities and could take a Tyrell and one of mine. Even if we ended up tied, the Lannisters had the best armies and therefore the tie-breaker. I placed my forced march and +1 support in Shipbreaker Bay. This way I could bring two ships in for support while maintaining my dominance of the seas in other areas. It also gave me a sneak attack from the Mountains of the Moon to Storms End.

All goes pretty much according to plan. I move into and take Storms End (killing two Tyrell units in the process) and Crackclaw falls to the Lannisters. The Lannisters take The Reach and now are sitting on 5 and in the lead with me.

But Greyjoy decides to attack an easy Lannister mark and takes it while beginning an epic battle with the Starks as well. Rob moved himself back into a winning postion if things fell out right.

House Tyrell then made a move no one expected or even saw. He had placed his forced march in the Doornish Marches. And created a 3 army in that space. This space contained a movement marker as well. In his next move he attacked the reach with 2 armies and split off the third to join a lone footman in Yronwood.

What the Hell? Then we all saw it. If he could take both The Reach and Sunspear he would advance House Tyrell to 4 cities/strongholds, in a tie with my House (Baratheon) and House Greyjoy. We were all on the same spot in supply so the tie-breaker then becomes power chits. Not of us had one chit, but he had place a crown marker in The Arbor. This would give him the victory. He crushed the Lannisters in The Reach and with his movement marker in Yronwood, moved in to attack Sunspear. The game came down to this battle. The winner of the battle would win the game. I handed my three card choices to Rob and John handed his to David. I won by a slim margin, but I used the sword to increase my victory just to make sure he knew who he was dealing with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Hansen

Lübeck
Schleswig-Holstein
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting read. I guess that was a good game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bertram
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man I am SOOO jealous. Just finished reading A Game of Thrones, and now I'm dying to play the game. Best book I've ever read by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.