Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one universal rule to remember when playing dice games with kids. The amount a luck a youngster has is directly proportionate to the age of his opponent. I've seen this rule go into effect in numerous games I've played with my kids over the years, but it was never more evident than it was in a recent game of Pickomino.

My 6-year-old son was in the latter stages of the flu and had been home from school for a few days. I stayed home from work, as I had some of the symptoms. In an effort to unglue him from the TV, I offered to play a game of choice with him. While a game about barbecuing worms didn't do much for my nausea, it was a still a fine choice.

I should have known things were going to go awry when he rolled three worms followed by two 5s in each of his first three rolls, notching a 30, 24, and a 31. I got off to a decent start, grabbing the 27 followed by the 26. But on my third roll, I had to put the 26 back. He was happily counting his dominoes and arranging them in different orders, and that's when I reminded him about the stealing rule and to keep his most recent tile showing. I should have kept my mouth shut.

He proceeded to roll up to 25. Instead of stopping, he rolled three more dice and got a 3 and a 2, which were both in play. I really thought he'd take the higher number and grab the 28 tile, but he deserved more credit than that. He took the 2 and stole my only domino. He thought that was pretty funny.

On my next turn I barely managed the 21 while he grabbed the 25. I lost my 21 the next turn and he lost his first tile, the 25 on his turn - but only because he decided to push his luck a little. While disappointing for him, he got it right back the next turn. It ended up being the only tile he lost the entire game, while I could barely manage to get the 21 or 22 each turn and then give it back the following turn. With only a few tiles left, he unintentionally rubbed this slaughter in... "Man, my stack is so high, I feel like it's going to fall over any second," he says.

In the end, with no tiles to my credit, I had a chance to avoid a shut out. The last tile left was the 22. I managed to use six dice to get to 20, with only the 2 still in play. I knew I'd probably roll a 2 with one of my final dice because the Dice Gods do have a strange sense of humor. Indeed I did. My boy greedily added up his points -- he ended up winning 20-1.

Now, I sometimes go a little easy on my kids in games, especially in the games that require some tactics or strategy. But this time I was really trying. And got slaughtered. But it was fun for some laughs. Konnor sure thought a 20-1 drubbing of his father was pretty funny and helped him forget he had stayed home from school with the flu. He couldn't wait to tell his sister when she got home...

Ahhhhh...the joys of playing dice games with kids!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Of kids and dice games: the universal rule in affect
kendahlj wrote:
"Man, my stack is so high, I feel like it's going to fall over any second," he says.

LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.