Popular Tags: [View All]
Allison dlr
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, now I know I am a true Board Game Geek. Last night, I got engaged to my boyfriend of three years. Over a game of Roma!

It started out as a perfectly normal evening. My boyfriend and I both worked late as usual, but got home in time to watch the hilarious season premiere of The Office (that show is so awesomely awkward, it hurts). I noticed that he was wearing one of his nicer shirts (as opposed to the usual comfy T-shirt), and I commented something to the effect of, “you look really nice today.”

He shrugged a little, and said the weather was getting colder, so he switched to long sleeves. I teased him that we were actually in for a heat wave this week, and his internal thermostat must be messed up. But, anyway, the clothes weren’t all that unusual, so I didn’t think anything of it.

After The Office, my boyfriend asked if I wanted to play a game. Um, do you really need to ask?? I was totally excited, seeing as how I’m the gamer of this couple, and usually I’m the one pushing for game time. We had even played Jambo the night before. OMG, TWO CONSECUTIVE nights of gaming! Bliss.

“How about Roma?” He says.

“Sure.” (Meander over to game closet and examine contents). “Oh, Through the Desert – you don’t want to try that tonight?”

“Oh, no… not in the mood for anything new tonight.”

“OK, Roma it is.” Not that I minded the choice at all, after we found the player aids on BGG the last time we played, it’s been a very fun game.

My boyfriend offered to shuffle (still no suspicion on my part), while I quickly reviewed the rules and set up the dice discs and handed out starting VPs.

I drew Praetorianus and Scaenicus, which I kept, and passed Turris and Consiliarius. My boyfriend passed me two battle cards, Legionarius and Onager. We both placed our cards opposite each other on dice discs 1-4. My boyfriend revealed that he also had Tribunus Plebis (I groaned) and Senator, but neither of us had any Forums to start.

I turned in my two VPs for empty spaces, then rolled. I blocked the Tribunus Plebis dice disc with Praetorianus, then chose money and cards. Hooray, a forum!

My boyfriend’s first turn – he used his dice to get money and cards, using his Senator to lay down the Gladiator for free.

In the ensuing turns, I lost a VP to the Tribunus Plebis, but did manage to use my Forum a couple of times, as well as lay down an additional Forum. Although, now that I’m reading the cards again, I realize that I used the Scaenicus incorrectly to activate the Forum at least once – since Scaenicus can only be used to activate other CHARACTER cards. Oops.

A lucky roll of the battle die from my Legionarius got rid of the offending Tribunus Plebis that lay opposite.

At this point, we were about a third of the way through the deck, and my phone rang. It was my friend, who weirdly enough at this hour of night, was lost somewhere en route to a Craigs List transaction (not everyone has iPhones, people!). So I went downstairs to check a map on my computer.

I returned to the game, and my boyfriend, by all appearances, was just finishing his turn.

“Sorry about that. Is it my turn?” I rolled. Gathered some VP, then decided to draw three cards. Hm… that’s funny, the third card seems to have a paste-up. I don’t remember putting paste-ups on these cards. Manufacturer defect? We’ve only played this game a couple of times, maybe we missed it before.

I looked at the cards. Two with long latin words, and one that said “Jeweler.”

Silence.

Then, no joke, I actually started searching our printed player aid for “Jeweler.” I think my addled brain somehow thought it was just a new card that had a function I wasn’t aware of. I claim a temporary neuronal short-out.

Finally, I look up at my boyfriend, comprehension starting to seep in.

“For that card, you can choose to keep it in your hand, or… you can get engaged.” Or something like that, he may have made up some other Roma-related action, but I was pretty focused on the engaged part at this point.

Grinning like an idiot, I paused for a moment, as if considering the options. “I don’t know…” That lasted a couple milliseconds, then I happily agreed to marry him.

After we got over our excitement, we decided to finish the game (of course). Using Onager, I managed to get rid of one of his Forums, but not before he had used it to gather a lot of VPs. We were down to 1 VP in the supply, and determined that I had 19, while he had 16. Unfortunately, his Tribunus Plebis was back on the table, and he used it twice to turn the count to 18-17, in his favor.

The next turn, I was forced to give up a VP for an empty card slot, and was unable to gain any more VPs or defeat any of my boyfriend’s cards in battle. He was then able to snatch up the last two VPs and end the game, final score 20-16.

“But babe, we both won!”

“You won the game AND the girl,” I teased. “What’s in it for me?”
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison dlr
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And yes... I realize that it's the right hand shown on the card. My boyfriend said he tried flipping it, but it didn't look as good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
That was fairly geeky, but made of awesome as well. Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Brinks
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome story!

Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the fact that you guys actually finished the game. Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats - that's a great story
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Asimakis
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful story.
Hope the sequel is even better!
Peace and Love,
PLB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I'd be too giddy to finish the game! =) Congratulations...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
almo1705 wrote:
...then I happily agreed to marry him.

After we got over our excitement, we decided to finish the game (of course).

True Board Game Geek, for sure. Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Blockx
Belgium
Zichem
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats.

Wish I had came up with such an idea. Then I bet my wife would play boardgames with me, hoping to see more homemade cards arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Verdonck
Belgium
Edegem
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations !
Excellent story, thanks for sharing.

Keep in mind that Roma 2 is coming out soon.
Maybe you can introduce the "Stork" card when the time for babies has come and return the surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great story. I wonder, does your boyfriend know the "famous" tale of Richard Garfield's proposal to his wife? Garfield designed Magic: The Gathering, and had a special card professionally printed which he then slipped into his wife's deck. If I recall, the card was an enchantment (white of course) that said something like "shuffle each player's library together, end the game, and live happily ever after."

Or something like that.

EDIT: I googled it, and I had a detail or two wrong, but the gist is in tact. Fun read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
celiborn wrote:

That's a true gamer right there.

The only thing that could top this is if you work out some way to be playing a game during the ceremony itself. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
almo1705 wrote:
We decided to finish the game. Using Onager, I managed to get rid of one of his Forums, but not before he had used it to gather a lot of VPs. We were down to 1 VP in the supply, and determined that I had 19, while he had 16. Unfortunately, his Tribunus Plebis was back on the table, and he used it twice to turn the count to 18-17, in his favor.

The next turn, I was forced to give up a VP for an empty card slot, and was unable to gain any more VPs or defeat any of my boyfriend’s cards in battle. He was then able to snatch up the last two VPs and end the game, final score 20-16.

I love the way you snapped right back into the gaming session and endgame scoring - what a catch. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now you will have to come to Rome for your honeymoon!
Please give me a call, you must be my guests for a drink at least!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesare Valenti
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
congrats to both of you, geeks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Martin
Canada
Torbay
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beautiful story...obviously he had an accomplice to aid in the deck stacking!

Really brought a tear to my cynical eye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison dlr
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anjohl wrote:
Beautiful story...obviously he had an accomplice to aid in the deck stacking!

Really brought a tear to my cynical eye.

Haha, yeah, I should note that my friend is not ACTUALLY dumb enough to go complete a Craigs List transaction at 10:30 at night. At the time though, I bought her story hook, line, and sinker blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Marquette
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Play Hard. Laugh Often.
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome and big congrats on the "geeky" proposal. What a fun story to tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
No, THAT'S how you propose. Geek style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pamela Tan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mojo shivers wrote:
celiborn wrote:

That's a true gamer right there.

The only thing that could top this is if you work out some way to be playing a game during the ceremony itself. LOL

You could print one page print and play games onto the placemats you'd be using for the celebratory meal!

went through the big day yet? update with pix! especially if it's a BGGeeky wedding!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
This is a great story. I wonder, does your boyfriend know the "famous" tale of Richard Garfield's proposal to his wife? Garfield designed Magic: The Gathering, and had a special card professionally printed which he then slipped into his wife's deck.

And one more such proposal is here: An Ascension Proposal

There's even a Youtube video of the whole thing. How geeky is that?

Remember, you can pay him back with a custom baby-themed card later...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.