Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all ~

So the money available for games has finally run thin...and doesn't seem to be replenishing any time soon. On that note, I need to satisfy my hunger for new games.

What I am looking for here is a recommendation of good PnP games that people have tried and tested. I am currently interesting in looking at the Doctor Who: Solitare Game. Additionally, some of my favorite non-PnP games are:

Stone Age
Race for the Galaxy
Power Grid
Dominion
Carcassonne
Tsuro
Pandemic

Any and all suggestions will be welcomed!

Thanks

~Ryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Taylor
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of PnP games that you may enjoy include:

*Micropul, a nice little tile laying game for 2 that is not to hard to put together as there aren't a lot of pieces and they are square.

*Zombie Plague, a cooperative (or all vs 1, your choice) zombie game with great maps available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some great PnP GeekLists on this topic. Go to a game like ZimP, and look at the GeekLists it has been listed in. There are lists about the best solo PNP games, best PNP games overall, etc...

Your favorite non-PnP game list is very similar to mine. As such, perhaps my recommendations will be useful. Here are the PnP games I have researched and have ready to print out for my next print order:

Zombie In My Pocket
Free Trader
Space Junkyard
Dungeon Of D
Island Of D
Airborne In My Pocket

I've also read good things about:

Micropul
Cheese Chasers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isle of D 2

Zombie In My Pocket

Airborne In My Pocket

Wish I Had More $ In My Pocket

(That last one is just a joke, it doesn't exist!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Zombie in my Pocket
Culture & Conquest
Tower of the Dread Mage
Delve: The Dice Game
I've played and enjoy all of them, though all except Culture & Conquest are extremely light games and solo only. They're all part of my "portable games folder".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of heavier games that are pretty good...

Free At Last

or

Hoyuk

You could of course resort to making your own copy of a couple of classics
Dune or Lost Patrol

Sword and Sail is pretty good to.

I can also suggest Outpost Gamma for a bit of hex and counter sci fi fun

If you want to dip your toes into the a real mans game you should take a look at Valor & Victory

Printing yourself a Decktet set will also be worth the effort.

If you want a taste of train games you cant go wrong with the solitaire Bindle Rails

If dice are your thing, I'll recommend my own Dune Express

There's a million of these games out there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give another vote for: The Dungeon of D, Micropul, and Zombie Plague.

The Dungeon of D is a tough little solitaire dungeon crawler that has alot of cards, but its pretty rewarding when you get further than you ever have before. One really nice thing about the game is that everything is represented on the cards: the only extra thing you'll need to play is a pawn of some sort.

Micropul is an interesting little tile-laying game that I've had a lot of fun playing solitaire. Only one sheet to print up. Mount to whatever you want or nothing at all. Lots of different tile themes to choose from.

Zombie Plague is one of my favorite/top games: a lot of tension and really gives the human players a sense that doom is closing in. Can be played solo, cooperatively, or one versus many. Putting it together can take awhile, but it's *definitely* worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:
Hey all ~

So the money available for games has finally run thin...and doesn't seem to be replenishing any time soon. On that note, I need to satisfy my hunger for new games.

What I am looking for here is a recommendation of good PnP games that people have tried and tested. I am currently interesting in looking at the Doctor Who: Solitare Game. Additionally, some of my favorite non-PnP games are:

~Ryan

As the designer of the Doctor Who game, can I recommend it and hope you have fun?

New PDF files have been uploaded so I'm hoping everyone will have agreat time playtesting.

Plesae let me have any feedback if you do try it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My new favourite (and nominee for PnP Golden Geek Award) is Daitou.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was just a print and play cooperative game design contest. Why don't you check some of those out? One of the games still is not on the list since it was up to the authors to put their game on it.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/46284/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mays
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zombie ZOMBIE IN MY POCKET (excellent solitaire game) zombie

zombie ZOMBIE PLAGUE (excellent non-solitaire game) zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
You mention solo games - Pocket Civ is a fine little game and really all you have to print are the cards, you can play with just the cards and pencil and paper if you like.

I, of course, printed out EVERYTHING.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also check out the dice game contest that ran recently. Some interesting PnP games came out of that one as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jojo Conwell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sword and Sail

There are not too many components, or too many rules; so its easy to manufacture and learn to play.
The map is beautiful and the rules are nicely done too.
Its great for two or three players; takes about 30 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
Also check out the dice game contest that ran recently. Some interesting PnP games came out of that one as well.

Link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/42608/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Fletcher
United States
Marion
OH: OHIO
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mean to toot my own horn... Oh yes I do. Endemic. Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RanDomino Nickelmaster
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is me shamelessly plugging my game Dungeon Derby

really, though, there are a couple of geeklists to check:
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/1567
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/34664

don't necessarily think that just because a game is "free" that it's free. Printing can cost a nickle a page black & white or 5-10 times that for color, you'll probably need cardboard for mounting, glue, card sleeves, dice if you don't have them or don't have the right ones... plus assembly time.

Luckily you can read the rules before you invest, sometimes even hack your way through a few turns on pen and paper to get the idea. that's true with most games these days, though; when you buy a board game, you're buying the bits, not the rules- rules are a dime a dozen. If you want to spend the time you can hand-make your own copy of most high-end games, if the vitals are on the web.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
There are some great PnP GeekLists on this topic. Go to a game like ZimP, and look at the GeekLists it has been listed in. There are lists about the best solo PNP games, best PNP games overall, etc...

Your favorite non-PnP game list is very similar to mine. As such, perhaps my recommendations will be useful. Here are the PnP games I have researched and have ready to print out for my next print order:

Zombie In My Pocket
Free Trader
Space Junkyard
Dungeon Of D
Island Of D
Airborne In My Pocket

I've also read good things about:

Micropul
Cheese Chasers

Space Junkyard is in production by Mayday Games now and will be releasing in about 3 weeks! You can still download the PnP version and try it out for free!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vee the Great
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
The thing we need is never all that hard to find.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan, some great solitaire PnP games I'd recommend checking out (as they are extremely easy to construct) are Ryan and the Argonauts and Oh My Lair!

Both will take you 10 mins each to make, but will entertain you for at least a few hours!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg B
msg tools
mbmb
Interspace is my favorite PNP game that I've ever made. It's a fun, PNP 4X game similar to Twilight Imperium.

There's a ton of theme and a tone of strategy with great replay value. Also, a lot of BGG users have submitted upgraded artwork. Here's a photo of my customized set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Highly recommend Maquis. Beautiful and fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy all the games I've played in that list (Race for the Galaxy, Carcassonne, Tsuro, Pandemic).

How about game that use standard playing cards?
Indian Chief (2-8 players, playing cards + pencil + paper, you can print or write out a crib sheet on how you score). Totally different from any other paying card game I've played. Player over 7 rounds, each player has 8 cards and selects 1-7 of them to score as a meld. It's a bit like Yatzee in that you have to score a different thing each round but it's a much better game as you can plan from one round to the next.
Cribbage (2-4 player, I've never played it 3 player though). A classic card game that if often ignored by gamers. It took me a few games to get it, but once I did I really enjoyed it. Yes, it should really be played with a cribbage board, but you can tally the score on paper.
Haggis (2 players with a standard deck with a few cards removed, 3 players & with a haggis deck, which would also make scoring & sorting picture cards after each round slightly easier). A two player climbing game, I've not managed to play this much yet, but I think I'll really like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just went through this list and blew through toner.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/70480/print-n-play-games-r...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I might as well throw my own in here

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1197771/free-pnp-game-starsh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.