Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Sulin
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I saw a few posts here asking about the game I figured I would write a quick little intro to Malifaux for all the BGGeeks out there.

What is Malifaux?

Malifaux is a new Skirmish game put out by Wyrd games(who have been putting out miniatures for several years now, but this is there first game). The world consists of a Earth like world(Like ours but with Magic) currently in the Victorian era. The Wizards of the world were running out of magic so they performed a radical ritual that opens a portal into a whole new world. On the other side they found a huge empty city called Malifaux. The book sums up the world better then I could but the point is that it creates a game with a large variety of model types without to much of the cliches of a Kitchen sink setting.

Back to the rules. Malifaux is played on a 3 x 3 foot board(or larger), with a small number of models per side. In a standard 30 Soul Stone game you will have an average of 6 models per side. Each model has a lot of character to them. There are no really generic troop models. Even the no name characters like Death Marshalls have interesting rules and unique abilities.

The pick twist to Malifaux is that its diceless. The rules use a card based mechanic called duels to determine how you succeed. The card deck is a standard 54 deck of cards(Standard poker deck with two jokers). The mechanics for the cards makes for a game with more control over fate(you have a hand of cards you can use to "cheat" your card flips and alter the results) as well as allow for cool secondary abilities(called triggers) to be activated based on the suits that show up in your duel.

So is Malifaux for you.

Do you like small scale Skirmish Minature games?
Do you like a cool setting(that consists of Victorian, Western, Horror, Fantasy and Humor elements)?
Do you like unique and cool look minatures(Check out http://www.wyrd-games.net for pics of these minis)?
Do card based mechanics intrique you?

If you answered Yes to any of these then Malifaux is worth checking out. If there is more interest I will go ahead and post some more details about the factions, rules and the game in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this going to be available in retail game shops, or only from the Wyrd web site?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sulin
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be available at your FLGS as well as online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.