Subject: Are you feed up with others copying your stradegy? I know I am. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if anyone has any ideas to fix this flaw in the game. I was thinking maybe private deck, but I could not seem to balence it if one person got a garden for example.

Any ideas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
QFT:
Quote:
Are you feed up with others copying your stradegy? I know I am.

No, I'm nood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loc Nguyen
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call this losing on purpose, but I would just experiment with some unique card strategies. Also, for my friends first couple plays, I just had everyone play their hand face-up on their turn. Now, I get surprised when they talk about deck speed and buying power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalek5 wrote:
I wonder if anyone has any ideas to fix this flaw in the game. I was thinking maybe private deck, but I could not seem to balence it if one person got a garden for example.

Any ideas

I suggest you buy the least powerful cards you can find, so as to hamstring anyone dumb enough to copy your strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sit in the last position.

Then people can't copy you, but you will have to stop copying them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ʇllıʍ)
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any symmetrical "strategy" games where people can't copy each other's strategies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Certain games you have different resources at you disposal. Like card games or negotiation game although the point is well taken.

I don't mind people copying me sometimes it is just seem over done sometimes. Don't get me wrong I also love this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get annoyed when people don't copy my strategy, because anyone who doesn't play at least broadly as I do loses pretty reliably, and that gets boring for me after a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalek5 wrote:
Any ideas

Save the annoyance and prevent the problem: burn your copy of the game and never play again.

A bit harsh? Play against yourself exclusively.

Want the company of others? Choose bad strategies and enjoy playing the game rather than winning it. Laugh at anyone who copies you.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalek5 wrote:
Are you feed up with others copying your stradegy? I know I am.

What I'm more fed up with is other people's bad spelling.

[Now the real post:]

Some people just have to play to win, so they have this "problem." I like to have fun, so I don't have this "problem." You can always play the same set again; you are not obligated to switch the set after you play it once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Louie
msg tools
mb
Dalek5 wrote:

Any ideas

The ability to copy opponents' strategies is a feature not a flaw. A lot of the balancing in Dominion automatically comes from this feature. An extreme example is playing the Black Market, buying the only Chapel, and running off with the game. No one can copy that, but it sure ain't fun (usually).

Still, I don't like how often games come out to be ties and/or decided by luck due to this aspect.

However, I do have an anti-copy idea to try:

Highlander Dominion
Select 20 random Kingdom cards.
Allow players to veto 3 cards.
Deal out 1 of each card.
Play the game as normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dickinson
United States
California
flag msg tools
I would agree that it's not a flaw. First, it's a normal part of any strategy game. Second, if no one could copy your strategies, you would only need one, you would use it every time, and the game would quickly get boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalek5 wrote:

Any ideas

They can't copy how you shuffle your deck. Even if they buy the same cards for the first 4 rounds or so, eventually your paths split and the cards/money you both receive will be different. Get over it. You should feel flattered they are copying your strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
masonlouie wrote:
Dalek5 wrote:

Any ideas

The ability to copy opponents' strategies is a feature not a flaw. A lot of the balancing in Dominion automatically comes from this feature. An extreme example is playing the Black Market, buying the only Chapel, and running off with the game. No one can copy that, but it sure ain't fun (usually).

Still, I don't like how often games come out to be ties and/or decided by luck due to this aspect.

However, I do have an anti-copy idea to try:

Highlander Dominion
Deal out 1 of each card.
Play the game as normal.

When does the game end then? Do you say that the game only ends when 3 other piles are empty now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Louie
msg tools
mb
Neo42 wrote:
masonlouie wrote:
Highlander Dominion
Deal out 1 of each card.
Play the game as normal.

When does the game end then? Do you say that the game only ends when 3 other piles are empty now?

The game should end when all Kingdom cards are bought. This should be easier to do since there are fewer cards in total than the 3 piles for the 3 pile rule and will encourage some very unusual strategies given the wildly unpredictable nature of singleton decks.

When I think about it more, there should be 20 individual cards, +3 more individual cards for each player and each player removes 3 cards from the set in draft fashion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Black Market?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.