1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Space Hulk (third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Am I the only ameritrash boardgamer who thinks Space Hulk sucks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools

I only play ameritrash games these days and I thought SH was pretty bad. So bad in fact I did not buy it even though it has the prettiest components ever produced. I won’t buy a game that has ugly components, appearance is that important to me. But jeez, I didn’t like the gameplay on this at all. I played it twice. Both times as the dungeon master on the first scenario. It was painful. Though I didn’t play as the marines I know for sure I wouldn’t have enjoyed playing them either.

Playing only ameritrash games I’ve never had a problem with rolling dice. That was until I saw the overwatch mechanic. Holy crap! Move one space, roll, move one space, roll, move one space, roll, move one space, roll, move one space, roll, move one space, roll, move one space, roll. It’s as annoying as me typing it. (Worse, because you can’t copy paste)

If the corridors were wider and there was no overwatch, I would consider this a tactical war game. But in its current form it plays like some kind of weird Tetris game with the Genestealer player acting as the computer. Or kind of like the 80’s video game, Missile Command. If you can imagine how fun Missle Command: The Boardgame would be. It’s difficult to describe, but to me everything about this game screams Atari 2600. (The clunky termies loosing an AP for turning 90 degrees, the super square playing field, the way line of sight is handled. It’s like huge, pixilated, clunky game. Only it’s actually beautiful to look at.

To each his own they say. But I’m amazed how much I disliked this game which is currently in the top 15 here at BGG and is supposed to come from the same strain of boardgames I love. I would seriously play Puerto Rico (Gasp!) over this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack H.
United Kingdom
Rochester
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll find that this trash is British, old chap. We like a bit of puzzle with ours. Gin and tonic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's loads of fun but your enjoyment of theme and atmosphere is also important to liking this game, imho.

I have zero issues with the Overwatch mechanic - there are far more boring things (like the entire game of El Grande, which is so boring, that it actually would make me want to cut a long weekend short and go back to work - if I had a job, that is).

It's a unique game and of course no game is for everyone.

I can't stomach over half the games (or an even larger percentage) in the BGG top 20, so each to his/her own, as you said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
It's no Legions of Steel, but it has its moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I kind of think you are (the only ATer who thinks SH sucks).

I've been waiting years for a reprint. I love the game, the tension, etc. The simplifications (90 degree turns, etc.) are necessary to keep the game moving, and to put the focus on the core of the game: how to keep a small, slow group of people (that sucks in melee but rawks at range) moving quickly enough to not get overwhelmed by limitless foes, but not so quickly that you leave yourself open to being overrun.

SH is a great AT games, maybe even the quintessential AT game, and it's worth every penny I've paid for it.

FOR THE EMPEROR!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
It's no Legions of Steel, but it has its moments.

Legions of Steel rocked back in the day! My buddy still has his "one pound of metal" and we may very well dig it out again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Yes...yes you are
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
El Cuajinais wrote:

Both times as the dungeon master...

Are you sure you were playing Space Hulk?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to this whole 'Ameritrash' vs 'Eurogame' thing, but I think Space Hulk transcends such distinctions. Alot of games that would be regarded as AT classics--the MB gamemaster series, for example--I find leaden and joyless. Total boredom--I'd rather break out Carcassonne any day. But I love Space Hulk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy13 wrote:
I'm new to this whole 'Ameritrash' vs 'Eurogame' thing, but I think Space Hulk transcends such distinctions. Alot of games that would be regarded as AT classics--the MB gamemaster series, for example--I find leaden and joyless. Total boredom--I'd rather break out Carcassonne any day. But I love Space Hulk.

Well, there's Ameritrash and then there's just trash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get Funkadelic
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El Cuajinais wrote:

I played it twice. Both times as the dungeon master on the first scenario. ...I would seriously play Puerto Rico (Gasp!) over this.

You were definitely playing the wrong game if anyone was a 'dungeon master', I'm just sayin'...

How would you like to resolve a combat with tens of swarming aliens with computer assisted weapon in a game then? Cards? Rock, paper, scissors? A coin flip? Seriously, what do you expect? The dice take like .5 seconds to roll and resolve and there aren't piles and piles of them like Descent or Doom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, Sr. El Cuajinais, maybe it is that you simply lack, how do you say, the c*j*nes to play Space Hulk, si?
blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, AT is all about hating games. You're just being a little more avante-garde than most of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankly, I prefer Doom to Space Hulk. I find a bunch of stuff about SH kind of clunky, but I haven't played the new one yet. Things may have improved. Then again, I don't claim to be an ATer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Wagner

Niagara Falls
New York
msg tools
Why would someone with such an obvious hatred of games even have an opinion like this to begin with let alone bother posting it.

The pedigree of a games birthplace does not make it good or bad..it is the game itself that does that. Simply put games are supposed to be fun. If it isn't fun for you it may be for someone else. It doesn;t always have to go down to the usual bashing of because you "don't care for it, therefore it is crap"mentality.

I am fairly certain you must own or love some games others would be astonished at how crummy they are...so pfft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Short of giving people a full lesson on SH tactics, I'm thinking that you're not playing the Genestealers properly. If a Terminator is getting 6 shots at 1 Genestealer, that's just poor play by the GS player.

I've probably eliminated more Terminators who were on Overwatch than those who weren't over the years playing Space Hulk. Few things in gaming are more satisfying.

At the same time, I've had individual Termies deal enough death to make a Chaos Lord proud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El Cuajinais wrote:

I only play ameritrash games these days and I thought SH was pretty bad. So bad in fact I did not buy it even though it has the prettiest components ever produced. I won’t buy a game that has ugly components, appearance is that important to me. But jeez, I didn’t like the gameplay on this at all. I played it twice. Both times as the dungeon master on the first scenario. It was painful. Though I didn’t play as the marines I know for sure I wouldn’t have enjoyed playing them either.

Playing only ameritrash games I’ve never had a problem with rolling dice. That was until I saw the overwatch mechanic. Holy crap! Move one space, roll, move one space, roll, move one space, roll, move one space, roll, move one space, roll, move one space, roll, move one space, roll. It’s as annoying as me typing it. (Worse, because you can’t copy paste)

If the corridors were wider and there was no overwatch, I would consider this a tactical war game. But in its current form it plays like some kind of weird Tetris game with the Genestealer player acting as the computer. Or kind of like the 80’s video game, Missile Command. If you can imagine how fun Missle Command: The Boardgame would be. It’s difficult to describe, but to me everything about this game screams Atari 2600. (The clunky termies loosing an AP for turning 90 degrees, the super square playing field, the way line of sight is handled. It’s like huge, pixilated, clunky game. Only it’s actually beautiful to look at.

To each his own they say. But I’m amazed how much I disliked this game which is currently in the top 15 here at BGG and is supposed to come from the same strain of boardgames I love. I would seriously play Puerto Rico (Gasp!) over this.

Well, ameritrash is defined as "Lover of Space Hulk", so don't worry, you are not an ameritrash board gamer.

Besides, you have 7 move and shoots in your quote, and genestealers only have 6 AP, so you clearly don't even know the rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Short of giving people a full lesson on SH tactics, I'm thinking that you're not playing the Genestealers properly. If a Terminator is getting 6 shots at 1 Genestealer, that's just poor play by the GS player.

I've probably eliminated more Terminators who were on Overwatch than those who weren't over the years playing Space Hulk. Few things in gaming are more satisfying.

At the same time, I've had individual Termies deal enough death to make a Chaos Lord proud.

Agreed-

The original poster looks like he didn't put much thought into playing the genestealers and instead took it as a "dungeon master" type role and just ran the stealers towards the marines on overwatch.

Try again and actually play to win this time- you might have more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
El Cuajinais wrote:
That was until I saw the overwatch mechanic. Holy crap! Move one space, roll, move one space, roll, move one space, roll, move one space, roll, move one space, roll, move one space, roll, move one space, roll. It’s as annoying as me typing it. (Worse, because you can’t copy paste)

On a more straightforward note, SH is pretty much the movie Alien, and the overwatch dice mechanic simulates the movie trope of hideous creatures attacking our poor heroes in s-l-o-w motion. The single dice rolls draw out the tension -- Arkham Horror does this, too, with its Clue mechanic.

If you don't like the mechanic, you don't like it. Sell the game on eBay at a profit and move on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If a Terminator is getting 6 shots at 1 Genestealer, that's just poor play by the GS player.

For some reason I feel inclined to point out that having a genestealer or two way down a corridor make a straight run at an overwatch marine in hopes of forcing a jam so the stealers that are waiting around a much closer corner can have free reign to go tear up marines can be a handy tactic (when it works).

I realize this has next to nothing to do with the original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
StormKnight wrote:
Quote:
If a Terminator is getting 6 shots at 1 Genestealer, that's just poor play by the GS player.

For some reason I feel inclined to point out that having a genestealer or two way down a corridor make a straight run at an overwatch marine in hopes of forcing a jam so the stealers that are waiting around a much closer corner can have free reign to go tear up marines can be a handy tactic (when it works).

I realize this has next to nothing to do with the original post.

I'm pretty sure the new edition makes this tactic MUCH less viable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr ?
United States
Midwest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WTF?! Dude, don't dare have a dissenting opinion. Clearly the masses have spoken. You must be mentally deficient, culturally bankrupt, and a real dipshit since you didn't like this game. I am sure this is the feedback and discussion you were looking for...or is it possible you are just not a fan? Nope, impossible. These people like the game so you must just be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr ?
United States
Midwest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is your mistake. I don't care either way and may end up liking the game myself. But this dude is not a real at gamer if he doesn't like it or he isn't playing it right if he doesn't like it or he doesn't like games if he has this opinion...right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Warpiglet wrote:
WTF?! Dude, don't dare have a dissenting opinion. Clearly the masses have spoken. You must be mentally deficient, culturally bankrupt, and a real dipshit since you didn't like this game. I am sure this is the feedback and discussion you were looking for...or is it possible you are just not a fan? Nope, impossible. These people like the game so you must just be wrong.

Lighten up Francis, it's just a game. No reason to go off half cocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.