Space Hulk (third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Tokens and Tiles falling apart. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Zimmerman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I posted earlier in the month how several of my tokens/markers and a couple floor tiles fell apart.

During another game this week, two of the Command Point tiles fell to pieces inside the cup we were using to draw from. Also many of the floor tiles peel apart when disassembling them.

Need to call GW again and see when they can send replacements. I notified them 2 weeks ago, and they said they would call when they got replacement components in, but I have not heard anything yet.

Anyone else had these issues with the cardboard components?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the floor tiles, when punched from their cardboard sheets, left about 8-10 square shaped scraps that I found would be perfect "spare" tokens should I end up losing any or wanted to make my own. The fronts/backs are obviously black. It would have been on a sheet that contained the larger square-ish map tiles.

But for this and other reasons, I hope people saved any cardboard they had left over after punching the tiles out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Garbanzo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but I store my set in a fully opaque and sealed archival case evacuated of atmosphere and filled to 380 torr with 99.9% argon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Dunkley
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep! I have 4 board sections where the glossy top layer is leaving the thick card, and I have not used them yet!
I will be doing a little repair job before they see any play.
This is a disappointing given the price of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't say I've had any trouble whatsoever, everything on my end is in good shape...could it be humidity or something? Perhaps just a few faulty shipments? Don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
1- 2- 3- 4!- A- A- 5!
badge
110% Rally
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had a problem and I live in tropical Australia. (My tiles also had to contend with some fairly rough disasssembly from teenagers!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All mine are fine, and I have been taking mine to the beach and rolling lovingly in the surf with them while humming the music from "From Here To Eternity".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
*sigh* Where ever would we be without the denial gallery...
Just because it didnt happen to you doesnt mean it didnt happen.

Tiles falling apart has mercifully been the least reported problem. But reports have trickled in of the lamination peeling off.
And due to some odd flaw, the boards may absorb moisture from the air and warp.

One suggestion is to apply some sort of reinforcing glue or sealer along the tile edges. I'd experiment with the leftover bits before going hog wild with that though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weird! I have seen 5 sets (1 my own) punched now all without issue.

One thing I would say is take as much care punching the tiles as you would do removing the fig's from thier sprue. I learnt the lesson of less haste with another game where I tore a token rushing. With SH I laid the tiles flat on the table gloss side down and applied pressure from the back with both thumbs evenly spaced and as equal pressure as possible. All punched cleanly without issue. The other benefit of doing it this way is if one does snag it will more than likely damage the back of the tile rather than the playing side.

The same can also be said of when placing/packing the tiles. Take your time and assemble/disassemble them carefully.

Show the tile love and you will have earnt the Emperors favour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
*sigh* Where ever would we be without the denial gallery...
Just because it didnt happen to you doesnt mean it didnt happen.

Yeah, pretty interesting... considering the Flying Frog guys get raked over the coals for anything wrong and their games are at a much lower price point (not saying it's the same people and there's a bias or anything, just observing the difference).

Anyway - I'll be very careful with mine and may take preventive measures before really using them, but I'm glad I have my 1st Edition tiles - they're not as pretty but I think I'm going to hold onto them after all (I had considered putting them up for sale once the supplies of the 3rd edition go dry).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to be carful in my language with this post because I do not want to promote IP infringement.

Reading here and on other forums, there have been problems with tokens and tiles from several sets. I have also been read posts the durability of the tiles may be less than 1E and 2E map pieces.

Knowing this information, would use of 1E and 2E map pieces with 3E map sections be preferable to obtaining additional sets of 3E components?

I am interested in using the custom Genestealer Expansion blips uploaded here. To use these tokens I will need to make my own playing pieces.

If I want to use custom tiles gamers have created such as air ducts I will also have to create my own map sections.

Again knowing there have been problems with 3E components, would making your own personal-use-only map sections be a better solution than purchasing additional 3E map sections? Making copies of the map sections for additional pieces would be great but a better idea may to make copies and place the originals on a shelf. The copies can be used and if they become damaged the out-of-print components are intact. Unfortunately, this action is also violation of IP.

I enjoy playing games but facing the challenge of using an OOP game and trying to keep it in playable condition while respecting IP is difficult.

If this topic is too controversial, then please give advice on how to create custom tokens and tiles only for the player-created images such as the new blips and air ducts I mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have suggestions how to create custom blip labels, using the new blips on BGG, and applying those labels to the blip tokens from Litko AeroSystems? I am probably going to use the green blip tokens.

Litko AeroSystems - Token Sets
http://www.litkoaero.com/page/LAI/CTGY/TS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
owenmp wrote:
I want to be carful in my language with this post because I do not want to promote IP infringement.

Making products like this for your own personal use is not IP or copyright infringement on any level.

Making duplicates of the existing tiles for sale may be going over a line (and even then, there are ways to do this that aren't going over that line, see some of the Litko products, for instance), but again, making such items for your own personal use is not immoral or illegal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments. I would gladly purchase more components for an OOP game from the manufacturer but what options does a gamer have when the manufacturer no longer has those components?

I wonder if GW has ever considered making Space Hulk 3E a limited edition was an error. There is a substantial amount of money being exchanged on eBay for entire games and game components that is not going to GW. If the game was kept in print for a little while longer GW would receive that money instead.

Perhaps I will put my Space Hulk figures on a shelf and use Meeples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
owenmp wrote:
Does anyone have suggestions how to create custom blip labels, using the new blips on BGG, and applying those labels to the blip tokens from Litko AeroSystems? I am probably going to use the green blip tokens.

Litko AeroSystems - Token Sets
http://www.litkoaero.com/page/LAI/CTGY/TS

The simplest way to do it is just to get appropriately sized circular stickers from a stationery store and attach them to the bottom with the number written on in permanent marker.

That's probably the least attractive way you can do it, but it's functional and hides the number completely when the blip is face up.

For something fancier you could come up with a nice graphic/number combo similar to what appears on the 'real' blips and print that out on sticker paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quality is not what is used to be, but perhaps you could scan the tiles onto velum (kind of like a plastic card). The tiles would not be as thick, but durable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Zimmerman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chimaera wrote:

One thing I would say is take as much care punching the tiles as you would do removing the fig's from thier sprue. I learnt the lesson of less haste with another game where I tore a token rushing. With SH I laid the tiles flat on the table gloss side down and applied pressure from the back with both thumbs evenly spaced and as equal pressure as possible. All punched cleanly without issue. The other benefit of doing it this way is if one does snag it will more than likely damage the back of the tile rather than the playing side.

The same can also be said of when placing/packing the tiles. Take your time and assemble/disassemble them carefully.

Be as careful as you want. If the laminate layer is not properly adhered to the sheet, in my case sheet 10 and 12, they will fall apart right in your hand. After punching out the pieces, I can see on those two sheet sprues that one of the laminate layers is nearly falling apart.

Anyway, I'll be attempting to repair the pieces in the event that GW is unable to replace them. Though from what I've heard in the past, I'm pretty confident that I'll get replacements.

At least it doesn't look like a very common problem. I'm sure my second set will be in good shape :cool:.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SushiJoe wrote:
Chimaera wrote:

Be as careful as you want. If the laminate layer is not properly adhered to the sheet, in my case sheet 10 and 12, they will fall apart right in your hand. After punching out the pieces, I can see on those two sheet sprues that one of the laminate layers is nearly falling apart.

Anyway, I'll be attempting to repair the pieces in the event that GW is unable to replace them. Though from what I've heard in the past, I'm pretty confident that I'll get replacements.

At least it doesn't look like a very common problem. I'm sure my second set will be in good shape :cool:.

Well I just had my spare tile set turn up this morning (wanted for bigger layouts & spares) & once gain the tiles are fine, so thats 6 tile sets I have seen now without issue.

Now I am not doubting there can always be an exception to the rule but I would say this tile issue is an exception and not the norm with SH. The problem is there are also some clumsy oafs out there who in there haste will maybe rip some of the tiles and then just jump on the bandwagon. Your situation sounds different so I can understand your frustration. I hope GW gets it sorted out for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, so good on my tiles and tokens. My only gripe is that some of my room tiles have scratches across their surface. Not gouging stratches, but almost a rubbed-like scratch. Something in the box rubbed against the surface. Not a big deal. It happened in my possession and not because of GW's packaging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.