United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm running Firefox 3.0.14, and I have shortcuts set up on the Favorites Toolbar. I noticed my BGG shortcut now has the eBay logo as an icon, instead of the running Geek. Is there some way I can manually control what little icon comes up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Not really. The easiest way to get it to turn back is to delete the link and then re-bookmark it. Sometimes clearing your cache works as well, but the favicon is a fickle creature and doesn't always come back when it is supposed to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting... I tried deleting and re-doing it, and it came up as eBay again (I don't have eBay open, either).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hmm...that is interesting. I've had lots of issues with those across browsers over the last few months. I completely lost the icon for a while. Google Chrome doesn't seem to play well with others and led to a few odd errors.

It's not April 1st, is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rename it "Ebaydo.com"...?

Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
weird... works for me as the geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This happens to me all the time with firefox. I'm not computer savvy so I can't tell you how to fix it, but if you wait it will eventually go back to the correct icon all by itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine still shows up as the Geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind you're running an old version of Firefox. Firefox is now up to 3.53.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
Keep in mind you're running an old version of Firefox. Firefox is now up to 3.53.

True, but I've noticed a lot of bug reports with that new one, so I'm afraid to go up to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:

True, but I've noticed a lot of bug reports with that new one, so I'm afraid to go up to it.

Um, but now you are seeing a bug with the old one, so I guess you'll just have to live with one bug or another
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
indigopotter wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:

Um, but now you are seeing a bug with the old one, so I guess you'll just have to live with one bug or another

This one's a lot more live-with-able.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a longtime Firefox user. This happens to me every once in a while, it always seems to right itself before too long. I notice it happening but it doesn't bother me so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
This happens to mine all the time, don't worry, it's no biggie.

This happens when you click on a link within BGG. So, you must have clicked on one of the ebay auction links listed here.

It'll switch back to the BGG logo after you use it a couple times.

What I find immensely amusing is mine changes to the Fortress: Ameritrash website whenever I click on that link in my quickbar.

hmmm, you know, I wonder if this is something that is particular to the quickbar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, I did click on an eBay auction last night from within BGG. I don't think it's related to the QuickBar for me, though, as I didn't have it bookmarked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This just happens occasionally, nothing to do with BGG.

Try something that lets you edit/choose icons, something like https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7849
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

Yeah, it's a Firefox bug. Sometimes icons go blank, and on occasion I have seen wrong icon. Once an icon goes bad, editing the bookmark can get the icon back, or just recreate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a long-running bug in Firefox. (The little symbols are called "favicons".) No one seems to be able to figure out what causes it, or how to reliably reproduce it, so it can be fixed. The latest of many, many bug reports is here:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=487003
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

P.S. For some reason, it does happen much more often (for me, anyway) with BGG than with some other sites. I think it has to do with the sequence of http requests while the page is loading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It used to happen a lot, but I have not seen it in several months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonato926 wrote:
Not really. The easiest way to get it to turn back is to delete the link and then re-bookmark it.

You don't need to do this. As far as I know, 100% of the time if you just click on the bookmark and wait for the page to load, it will replace the favicon with the correct one.

If it's not doing that, then you have a different problem than one that I know about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
You don't need to do this. As far as I know, 100% of the time if you just click on the bookmark and wait for the page to load, it will replace the favicon with the correct one.

It never worked that way for me. I would edit the bookmark, without actually changing anything, and then it usually worked, but not always. But honestly, I haven't seen this bug in months. Are you sure it hasn't been fixed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my case, just clicking the bookmark and waiting never worked. It'd be stuck on the wrong thing for weeks, if not forever.

That's why I use the Favicon extension I linked to, you just right click pick properties, then click Reset, and it re-downloads and re-draws perfectly.

And the other benefit is that you're no longer limited to what favicon the web site chooses for you, I use the old google logo, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ham
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
HONK HONK
mbmbmbmbmb
Happens to me quite frequently, turning into the Tanga logo in my bookmarks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
Are you sure it hasn't been fixed?

I'm sure some version of it still exists. I've seen it in Firefox 3.6b4, which I think is the latest release of any type. However, there have been several bugs relating to favicons that have been fixed over the years I have been tracking this, so maybe you were experiencing one of those instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.