United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
All,

I've been working on other projects unrelated to Bindle Rails, however, I had a really good idea for an expansion for this game this week that I've managed to find time for.

The expansion will continue on the 3rd Expansion Rules (Eastern Canada, Emerald Isle and Denver and Rio Grande). This game focuses on the transcontinental join of the east and west coast of the United States. You will be the manager of a main railroad, either the Northern Pacific out of St. Paul, the Atchinson, Topeka and Santa Fe out of Chicago, the Southern Pacific out of Houston or the Union Pacific out of Omaha. You will also guide a sister western railroad from the Pacific.

Key elements/monkey wrenches for this expansion include:

- Both of your RR must be able to do a delivery on the first turn.

- Revenue only counts on your eastern RR. Deliveries are still move the market down for your western RR. Only when your RR's are joined can you get deliveries from your entire route.

- You can only build 5 cubes for your western RR. Furthermore, you can only join at the eastern-most cube of that RR.

- Until all 5 cubes are laid out west, you must build at least one cube for your western route each turn that you are out east.

- Cities only accept commodities that are not supplied near them. Furthermore, if there are resource circles next to other resource circles, those restrictions are chained to whatever cities they link to.

- Once you have your routes joined, passenger revenue in Chicago and New Orleans is multiplied by 5.

- Reworking the Train/Tech/Market/Money/VP tracks so they fit on one sheet of paper!

Initial playtesting has been positive so far and I want to give it a few more runs before I set it loose. I still want to do some other expansions outlined earlier in the summer, but this one really interested me. I think its hard to do continental-based railroad games anyways, so getting this to work as a solitaire game will be really great if it holds up.

If anyone is interested in the files before then, let me know.

Thanks again,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like an ambitious endeavor and looks to be interesting to play out.

(Bemusingly. I read the title of the post and my forst thought was. "Why was Western Union making a statement about an expansion release???" aheh...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
It was their great-great-great parent company. :-D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Raiderjakk wrote:
- Reworking the Train/Tech/Market/Money/VP tracks so they fit on one sheet of paper!

Well, actually, the trains will probably go on cards to keep separate from the other tracks. Things were too scrunched up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Just a quick update that I will need more time. Busy schedule at home and work has delayed me writing down the rules on how to play the game and I'm still messing with player mats. Should be within two or three weeks!

Thanks much,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Okay, the files are waiting to be approved, but I threw the images up on the game page.

I'm still playtesting and still experimenting, but since my schedule is going to be absolute bonkers the next three weeks, I figured I'd put up what I have for all those who want a crack at it. I'm not completely happy with it, but it plays well enough. I have not posted complete rules as they are on the player mat for the trains. Otherwise, just take the third expansion and run at it.

Full prettying up will be done within a month or so.

J.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raiderjakk wrote:
Otherwise, just take the third expansion and run at it.

J.

You are like giving crack to the addict(s). Shame on you and your awesome game... shake

Can't wait to get it printed... cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Neal
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Sigrdrifa wrote:
Raiderjakk wrote:
Otherwise, just take the third expansion and run at it.

J.

You are like giving crack to the addict(s). Shame on you and your awesome game... shake

Can't wait to get it printed... cool

Hopefully it doesn't disappoint. It's hard to come up with new uses for the components I put out a year ago besides printing out three sheets of paper and saying, "Have at it, kids..." I still think there's something missing to this particular map, but I can't put my finger on it.

There are a couple other designs in the works off the Bindle Rails path. One of them is trying to wedge some of the features of 18XX into a tile-based game (which has been quite a challenge). I intend on producing it as a print and play game. It should be out in time for Christmas, but I'm hoping to have it out closer to Halloween.

The other is Open Rails which has been going through some outside playtesting and adventures into 18XX with elements of some Winsome titles and a little dash of role selection from Steam/Age of Steam for good measure. I've been pretty happy with it and I'm hoping it gets picked up. If it doesn't, it'll be print and play as well.

I'm still trying to make Bindle Rails truly two players and I'm still trying to figure out how to make it have shares which is a common feature among the railroad genre... It's an elusive goal. The two designs mentioned above are offshoots from my attempts at evolving Bindle Rails.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.