Diplomacy» Forums » News

Subject: Diplomacy Now on Facebook rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank McGirk
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may actually be old news, but there's a free Diplomacy game on Facebook right now.

It's my first game of Diplomacy ever, so I can't really compare and say if it's authentic, but it looks like it follows the same rules/layout of my 1979 edition.

Just one season in (and we decided to allow 3 days for turns, so it'll be a slow game), but it's cool so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you find it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it's been there for a while now...I think it came out a year or two ago.

Don't know if this link will work or not: http://apps.facebook.com/phpdiplomacy/.

If it doesn't, just click on your Applications tab in the lower left hand corner, select Browse more applications, then type diplomacy in the search box in the upper left hand corner. Diplomacy should show up in the list (currently second in the list for me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried a few games on there. My experience is that a) negotiations are anemic drivel on par with the typical FB post, and b) there is no sense of etiquette whatsoever. These two things soured the experience for me. In my first game, the press I was receiving was rare and pathetic. In the second game, I took over a losing position - something that, on the judges, people respect - and got a lot of: 'You're losing. Don't waste my time' press. Besides being strategically stupid (a two dot power is better to have with you than against you - or at least not pissed off - in most cases), it was just rude. A lot of time, people equate Diplomacy with meanness. It is not that. Quite the opposite. Most winning players are charasmatic pursuaders with a thirst for blood. FB players seem to want to just recreate high-school cliques.

And abandoning losing positions - something taboo on the judges - is run of the mill and even accepted on FB. Crap. Total crap.

I would recommend playing on the judges. It is a bit more complicated to get up and running - but not that much - and you will find serious gamers committed to their games. I played phenomenal year-long games there with smart, vicious, and friendly (all at the same time, that is) people. Try this link to get some more info: http://www.diplom.org/Email/newbie.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claudio212 wrote:
I would recommend playing on the judges. It is a bit more complicated to get up and running - but not that much - and you will find serious gamers committed to their games. I played phenomenal year-long games there with smart, vicious, and friendly (all at the same time, that is) people. Try this link to get some more info: http://www.diplom.org/Email/newbie.html

Amen.

I agree with Claudio completely on this point. I played a couple games on there and had much the same experiences.

The only caveat I'd give is that it might be an ok interface for setting up games with people you already know and who already use facebook.

I personally wouldn't because there are many better places to play. But, if you know people on facebook who you'd like to play with I can see that they might find it more convenient to just play there than go somewhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="TwitchBot
The only caveat I'd give is that it might be an ok interface for setting up games with people you already know and who already use facebook.
[/q]

Good point. The interface was okay. The map was a little tough to look at. And I like to print out for bus 'reading'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.