Venture» Forums » Variants

Subject: Fair Proxy card variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
This 3M gamette is a favorite of ours with 2 players. We suggest this variant to downplay the potentially imbalanced randomness of drawing Proxy cards. Each player starts out with one of each of the Proxy cards (1/2X, 1X, 1 1/2X) in front of them. To acquire one, a money card from one's hand must be discarded. Only one can be picked up per turn. Doing this is a full action and constitutes the entire turn. No money is drawn after acquiring a proxy card! Once all three Proxy cards have been picked up and used, all again become available for acquisition.

Update: Tried this with three players, adding an extra 1 1/2X proxy card from a second set. Worked very well. We each cycled through all three and just started into the second cycle as the game ended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was noticing last night that my copy only had 2 of the 1-1/2x cards and wondered about that.

I was thinking....what if you just put one of each of the 3 proxy cards on the table, then used markers on them to indicate who has them available to use and then, who has used them?

Example: Add a meeple (Carcassonne or similar) standing up when you have 'picked up' that type, then lay the meeple down when you have used it. When all 3 have been used (lying down), remove the meeples to cycle through them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Nice idea! No need for extra cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Oh, one other refinement we've incorporated is an Alhambra style initial deck build for the money. At the beginning of the game, sort the money cards into four equal stacks and shuffle the two scoring cards into two of them, which are then placed under the other two stacks. This keeps the first two scoring rounds from occuring prematurely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Christensen
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs.
badge
Rub the wizard!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the sound of both of these variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea for a variant. Just played for the first time with my wife yesterday. I got slaughter in the end because of shockingly bad draws in the end, where she kept picking up proxy cards (she had 5 in her hand at one stage!!!) and even though I had 12 cards in my hand I had none and she stole all my cards!!

It was good that my wife won, she now thinks she is great at boardgames, but I felt that luck with the proxy draws had a lot to do with her win. If I had 5 proxy cards, she would've had no chance.

I will give your variant a try the next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.