5 Posts

Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarification on Opportunity Attacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xallanthia Zentralthan

Kentucky
msg tools
I'm hoping you can clarify something for my husband and I, as we have a significant disagreement about how opportunity attacks work. As a note, we only have Awakening The Bear right now, but having learned the game from Uwe at GenCon, he taught us the Storms of Steel AP rules, which is what we use... hence why I'm posting here.

My husband insists that opportunity attacks are intended to interrupt the other player, and do not count as an action otherwise, so the sequence of play would go:

1. Player A acts (with AP, CAP, or card)
2. Player B acts uses an opportunity action
3. Player B can now take a normal turn (with AP, CAP, or card)

Whereas, it seems clear to me from the rules (in fact, BOTH sets of rules--where you couldn't use opp actions and then take another turn with CAP or cards in a row, in the original rules) that the sequence should go:

1. Player A acts
2. Player B acts with opportunity action
3. Player A acts

As I said, to me the rules seem pretty obvious, but, I'm willing to be told I'm wrong! So, which is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wehrenberg
United States
Unspecified
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Xallanthia wrote:

1. Player A acts
3. Player A acts

This would be correct.

Taking an Opportunity Action doesn't affect the 'flow' of the game, it's still I-Go U-Go.

I think the name "opportunity action" is what's causing the confusion (it did for me). I kept thinking of the 3rd Edition D&D "Attack of Opportunity" and getting confused.

It just allow you (or the opponent) to take an action with any unused unit, without having to switch your currently activated unit. The positive is that you can use a different unit than your currently activated unit. The negative is that you have to flip it to "used" when you're done, thus not necessarily using all the Action Points it has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chairman7w wrote:
Xallanthia wrote:

1. Player A acts
3. Player A acts

This would be correct.

Taking an Opportunity Action doesn't affect the 'flow' of the game, it's still I-Go U-Go.

I think the name "opportunity action" is what's causing the confusion (it did for me). I kept thinking of the 3rd Edition D&D "Attack of Opportunity" and getting confused.

It just allow you (or the opponent) to take an action with any unused unit, without having to switch your currently activated unit. The positive is that you can use a different unit than your currently activated unit. The negative is that you have to flip it to "used" when you're done, thus not necessarily using all the Action Points it has.

Just also keep in mind, of course, that you can react to your opponent's action with CAPs, as well--IOW, Opportunity Actions are no your only option.

Cheers.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edward is correct. An "opportunity action" (there's nothing in the game called an "opportunity attack") is an action like any other type of action. It does not get you any extra actions or let you take more actions in a row.

So you can tell your husband that you were right, and that he should stop trying to get in extra actions at your expense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stimpson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...which is why, when I'm explaining the game to a newbie, I prefer to use the term "emergency action" rather than "opportunity action"; it seems to better sum up what I think was the designer's thinking behind the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.