Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: DIY [+] [View All]
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been making some DIY proxies for Dreamblade's unreleased Serrated Dawn set and am using bases by removing the minis from commons etc and then removing the stickers from the bottoms and silkscreening from the top. So far the things that have worked on the silkscreening are the "magic erasers" and "goof off".

I'm looking for some alternatives since the magic eraser method takes a real long time and goof off just seems too toxic.

I've also tried acetone but it seems to evaporate too fast and I end up with big smears of the material used for silkscreening. The other goof off products do not seem strong enough.

Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Fantastic
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Professional level stuff is going to just as, if not way more toxic than goof off. Generally, the more toxic, the easier it will be to get it off. Depending on what I'm doing, I usually wear a respirator. If it's bothering you, it's not a bad idea to use one.

Plus, once you have one, you'll find a bunch of other nasty stuff to wear it while doing too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
i've heard before that you could use toothpaste to get crayon off rubber and plastic when it won't just wipe off with water and soap (for instance, to remove it from cabbage patch dolls). maybe that'll work here? (maybe try the peroxide toothpaste?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if the silkscreening method used on those particular models is the same as in the article below, but you could give it a try:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-remove-Logos-from-you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Brasso. I've used it for years to take print off of LEGO and more recently to take the print off Heroscape dice.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/431671
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions! Never would have thought of Brasso, haven't used that since I was in the Army.

~telengard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.