Popular Tags: [View All]
John Crawford
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I submitted a session report for a new game I picked up for my kids, and it was rejected. The game was Gobblet Gobblers in which games take a minute or less to play. So rather than explain each individual game (of which there would be about 30 games), I just summed up the interaction between my kids and I as we played. I was also told that the report was too short (what do you expect for a game that plays in less than a minute?) and that I would not get GG for it. Since I didn't check the box that says that I wanted GG, I'm not sure why this was an issue. I just wanted to post a session for a new game since there isn't much content for this game, and no session reports at all. Just wondering what anyone else thinks. The response and original session is posted below:

Subject: [BGG] User Submission Declined
----------------------------------------------
We're sorry, but your recent article was not awarded any geekgold, and has not been posted to the forum:
New game and left at home with the kids = GAME TIME for Gobblet Junior
Comments from users that moderated this article:
Ther is absolutely nothing here describing the game play.
too short
Not enough content for GG.

Note: if you receive any offensive or highly inappropriate comments, please contact a BGG admin.

Here is the text of your original article:

Subject: New game and left at home with the kids = GAME TIME
I just picked up Gobblet Jr. today used for 99 cents. After dinner my wife decides to go to the store, and left me with the kids. So I pull out this game to give it a try.

Read through the rules and realize that this is quite a simple game, which doesn't mean it's bad, just easy to learn.

First up, my 8yo and my 6yo play a few games, and then I cut in and play 5. Eventually, my 3yo son wants to try, so he goes up against my 6yo and he won the first 2 times and is cheering! We change sides up a few more times before calling it done.

Games are easy and quick, but in order to win, you need to use strategy, or hope the other player misses a winning play. Great game that kept most of my kids and I busy for a half hour. Unfortunately, my 6 month old is a bit young still, but maybe someday...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Strope
United States
kansas city
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All session reports and reviews are automatically sent through geekmod. I'd say submit it under general or add some specific instances and an explanation of gameplay and resubmit it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually session reports talk about what happens during a game or games. You just say who won which games. Replace "Gobblet Jr." with the name of any short and easy game and this session report would tell you pretty much the same thing, which isn't much. Also, if you believe the report should be accepted based on the fact that there are yet no sessions posted, then maybe find a way to communicate that to the mods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Rainer
Canada
Nanaimo
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some concrete suggestions on how to add to your post to make it a really useful session report:

Quote:
Subject: New game and left at home with the kids = GAME TIME
I just picked up Gobblet Jr. today used for 99 cents. After dinner my wife decides to go to the store, and left me with the kids. So I pull out this game to give it a try.

Read through the rules and realize that this is quite a simple game, which doesn't mean it's bad, just easy to learn.

Now tell us maybe two sentences about what the game is like: I assume it has inverted cups like gobblet, but how are we to know? How did the kids seem to handle the pieces and the board?

Quote:
First up, my 8yo and my 6yo play a few games, and then I cut in and play 5.

What made them seem interested enough to keep playing? What seemed to engage their attention the most?

Quote:
Eventually, my 3yo son wants to try, so he goes up against my 6yo and he won the first 2 times and is cheering!

Why, specifically ? What did they do in the game to win/lose?

Quote:
We change sides up a few more times before calling it done.

Are there teams in this game?? Do the onlookers seem to keep interest in watching, and why?

Quote:
Games are easy and quick, but in order to win, you need to use strategy, or hope the other player misses a winning play.

What makes them easy? Why are they quick? What kind of strategy?

Quote:
Great game that kept most of my kids and I busy for a half hour. Unfortunately, my 6 month old is a bit young still, but maybe someday...

The bits you included in your session report had nothing to do with the game, but would be of interest to people who already know your kids. Unfortunately, those parts are of little interest to the general population. The parts you left out are the ones describing how they intereacted with the game, and would be of most interest to people researching the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
There's nothing wrong with or missing from your session report. It includes more than enough information to qualify for acceptance, in few words (always a blessing on the Internet).

Mods a fools who think that to be useful reviews and session reports have to go into all kinds of explicit and redundant detail about rules and mechanics and specific events. The completely miss the value of hearing, as here for example, that the game works as a quick pick-up with young kids.

My favorite comment is "too short", from clearly yet another product of the American high school "write more; say less" system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.