Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the people, but even more so it depends on the game. Some games are such that recognizing specific situations on the board IS the game. So Player A blurting out something that seems so obvious to him but may not be obvious to Player C may often be seriously threatening to Player B. I usually stand in the camp of letting Player C play his own game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think alliances such as the one you formed with mom are far more inflamatory in 3-player games than 4 or 5-player games. At least in a 4 or 5 player game, the player that is ganged up upon can form his own alliance with another player. In a 3-player game, 2 against 1 feels unfair.

But I wholly agree with the above poster. If recognizing the board situation is the game, then giving away the strategy would be less fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It largely depends on the game being played and the players involved. I personally dislike when people start openly planning and plotting at the table.

"No, don't do THAT! If you do THAT then HE can do THIS!"

No thank you, let people make their own decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ebade wrote:
But when you play against my dad, it's gang up on him or loose!

Then lose and take the opportunity to improve your own game.

If the rules do not specifically state that they allow negotiation, then I do not allow negotiation in a game. It is that simple. If that means you keep losing, then improve your game so as to be competitive. We are not here to salve your ego. We are here to play games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Except for games that focus on negotiation, I prefer to avoid it.

Of course, most games can also be played with heavy negotiation, though that often changes the game and doubles the playing time.

The awkward situation is when one player is negotiating heavily and others are trying to avoid it. Better to have a consensus about the degree to which it is permitted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At our table, it's actually the opposite, we'll be suggesting (once in a while, not at every opportunity) a move to the opposite player in order to help them improve their play.

Although I agree, in 3 player games, it creates a bad situation where it's 2 against 1.

Maybe I'm biased, I'm usually the one they gang on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually enjoy table talk, but I think it gets a little weird when out and out alliances form. If I'm playing Settlers of Catan, for instance, I don't mind it if a player points out to another I'm in the lead and that I should be the one robbed. I think its no fun, however, to be ganged up on and I really dislike when someone decides to "support" another player and help them win.

I think there's a fine line between using table talk to help yourself win the game and out and out sabotaging another player so they don't win. I'm not entirely sure if I'm being clear, but I suppose I'm trying to say I don't mind it if what you're doing directly helps you to some degree and doesn't just screw the other player for the sake of harming them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
ebade wrote:
I say different strokes for different folks but some games really suffer from pointing out other people's strategies.

Some do. What games allow for un-lured alliances to pawnmaking (the opposite of kingmaking) is simply to decide from case to case. A game of Drakon is completely different if you play with or without table talk. As I know, Clearclaw hasn't tried Drakon, and I'm unsure as to he would appreciate the game style, but it would be interesting to see what stance he would take to tabale talk in that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.