Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kasper L.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
First off, I really enjoy the game, but I have a few questions that I could not find in the rule book.

1. When you return to town, do you heal or gain fatigue.
Example: If someone has less than max wounds/fatigue and has some poison counters, do they get full wounds/fatigue and remove any conditions? My friends were thinking that going to town would be equivalent to resting and then spending another movement to go back into the dungeon.

2. How does the Pierce ability work? We've been having a hard time trying to calculate how it works.

3. For quest 2, the corresponding hearts of the two giants are in rooms with the master ogre, correct? It doesn't flat out say that it is in the quest description. Also, when you kill the named giants, how does the respawn work for it? Does it respawn in 3 turns? or 2? And when it respawns why does it need to be put 8 space away. It seems like it takes away from the experience.
Example: if you kill the giant where it is in the first area, and it respawns because the heroes are resting and collecting loot, does the giant respawn in the starting area because that's the only place that is 8 space away?

4. Oh, forgot one! How does poison work?

Might be forgetting some questions... or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No. You can shop and buy healing potions and drink them (using the movement points necessary to do all those actions), but no "free healing" in town.

2. For each point of Pierce, you take a way an armor level of the monster you are attacking. If you have more pierce than the monster has armor, you don't get to do more damage. Pierce is used against the bigger monsters with more armor. For Example: You are fighting a monster with 5 armor and roll 4 hits. Normally that would not do any damage as it would not bypass the monster's armor. However, if the weapon has Pierce 2, then for attacks with this weapon, this monster only has Armor 3 and your attack would do one damage.

3. There is boxed text to read when you defeat the Master Ogres that tells the party that they have found a heart. If I remember correctly, one is in a treasure chest (not discovered until Master Ogre is killed) and the other they actually cut out of the Master Ogre's chest.

3a. The "8 spaces away" respawning is because most heroes have moved on and it allows the Giant to be close enough to still be part of the next battle. If the players are spending two turns just hanging around, the Overlord should be gaining major threat to use against them. You usually don't have that kind of time.

4. Poison is in the rules under the keyword definition area (Stun, Sweep, etc.). When you take damage from an attack with Poison, you place a number of poison markers equal to the poison rating. When healing, the hero has to use 1 pt of healing to get rid of each poison marker before he can heal any of his wounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstax wrote:
4. Poison is in the rules under the keyword definition area (Stun, Sweep, etc.). When you take damage from an attack with Poison, you place a number of poison markers equal to the poison rating. When healing, the hero has to use 1 pt of healing to get rid of each poison marker before he can heal any of his wounds.
There's no poison rating. You just replace any wounds lost by a poison attack with a poison token. So if you take three wounds from an attack, you also take three poison tokens. And then, as you said, when you heal you first have to discard poison tokens before regaining any wounds. So if you have two poison tokens and quaff a healing potion you first discard the two poison tokens and then heal one wound.

The other Qs I think you hit right on the head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, tying questions 1, 2 and 4 together, you get the following example:

A hero with 5 armor and a shield is attacked by a monster that does 7 points of poison damage with piece 2. The pierce reduces the hero's armor to 3 so 4 points of damage is dealt to the hero (7 - (5 armor - 2 pierce)). The hero exhausts his shield to reduce the 4 damage to 2 damage. The hero then takes 2 wounds and 2 poison counters. Feeling weak, the hero returns to town and buys and drinks a healing potion. The first 2 points of healing remove the 2 poison counters and the hero is healed of one wound. If he buys and drinks another healing potion, he would then heal up by 3 wounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
Grimstax wrote:
There's no poison rating. You rust replace any wounds lost by a poison attack with a poison token. So if you take three wounds from an attack, you also take three poison tokens. And then, as you said, when you heal you first have to discard poison tokens before regaining any wounds. So if you have two poison tokens and quaff a healing potion you first discard the two poison tokens and then heal one wound.

The other Qs I think you hit right on the head.

I was going from memory and started to say it like this, but then I remembered that other things only placed one token (stun, etc.) so I thought maybe it was a "level" thing. Thanks for the assist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And as always i highly recommend www.descentinthedark.com. Still not complete, but a lot of good help can be found and easily searchable and indexed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstax wrote:
I was going from memory and started to say it like this, but then I remembered that other things only placed one token (stun, etc.) so I thought maybe it was a "level" thing.

Yes, Poison works differently from all other effect tokens.

Regarding healing, don't forget that heroes are each limited to drinking 1 potion per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnold Vincent Canaria
Australia
Kensington
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edroz wrote:
(7 - (5 armor - 2 pierce)).

Keep this equation in mind to help you calculate damage taken quickly:

Damage Rolled - (Armor - Pierce) = Damage Dealt

Note though that if Pierce is greater than Armor then Armor is automatically reduced to zero. As already noted, you do not deal more damage if Pierce is higher than Armor. Happy piercing laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper L.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
maskmanjoe wrote:

Keep this equation in mind to help you calculate damage taken quickly:

Damage Rolled - (Armor - Pierce) = Damage Dealt

Note though that if Pierce is greater than Armor then Armor is automatically reduced to zero. As already noted, you do not deal more damage if Pierce is higher than Armor. Happy piercing laugh

Ah, was looking for a formula for calculating damage with pierce. My friends and I were arguing if pierce did extra damage.

One thing I noticed throughout the game is that the heroes get super strong after receiving money from killing the master monsters and picking up the items. During quest 2, one of the ranged heroes picked up an amazing bow from the first silver chest and was doing a ton of damage (because of pierce and the bow's ability of 1 surge = 1 damage). Another melee hero had picked up the grinding axe with the 2 pierce ability and completely annihilated the named giant (if I remember correctly I had done 11 damage because of had 3/4 surge to pierce through the giants armor. I had used fatigue to use 5 power die, and I had a trait that gave me +2 to melee damage).

Also, with combination of good items and traits, it seems like the heroes can kill multiple monsters pretty easily as well. My melee hero had leadership and the other range hero with the insane bow had rapid shot. So I could just have the range hero go first and battle and then spend most of his fatigue to attack 2 or 3 times additional times. Then I'd activate my melee guy and I can either give him rest/guard through leadership and possible interupt the OL's attack or immediately recover all fatigue on the following turn? In total, the ranged hero could possible kill 5/6 monsters assuming he kills 1 per attack. It seems like the OL has a difficult time winning.

I know the expansions will add mechanics to add things to help the OL/heroes so I'm going to play more to try to see who ends up winning more, then again the OL did crush us in the end of quest 2 (however, one of the heroes made huge misplays).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything dies quickly in Descent.

The quests get harder, though. The first two or three are just there to let the heroes learn the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.