Subject: Card type ratios rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, we all know the game's not "out" yet except for the lucky few buying pre-release copies and what I suspect is a large group like me who earned a Geek Merit Badge by creating a proxied set (or in my case 2 sets) of cards.

So since people are clearly playing, let me go ahead and ask: generally what is a good ratio of card types? The fact that a critter card itself flexibly represents extra card(s), resource(s) or another front liner makes it a bit more problematic to tune ratios. You could conceivably run 50 creatures and quickly have a fast drawing, high resource high damage deck. Well, maybe not monocolor and 50 just yet since there aren't a huge number of different cards yet.

Using two sets, I made four single race 50 card decks. In each I have roughly 3/5 creatures, 1/5 support cards with hammers, and 1/5 quests and tactics. I'm still not sure this is a good mix though, since in games when I have some cheap support right away, I can be drawing 2 cards and spending 4 resources by turn 2, but I'm afraid to raise the support ratio too much or I'll feel like all I'm drawing is support.

Ah, the fun of learning a new game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple of quick comments:

1. Props on your Geek Merit Badge - it's cool that you went to all the trouble to print-n-play (as long as you eventually buy the game, that is!)

2. Please, please don't bring in other references to CCG and apply them to Warhammer: Invasion (i.e. "monocolor"), I think that the game is cool enough that it deserves its own unique set of nomenclature. I don't mean this remark in a snarky way, at all, but it just bothers me when people start tossing around previously accept vernacular with a new game - kinda cheapens the uniqueness of the newer game. (Yeah, I guess I'm kind of weird about this...)

3. I think your ratios seem pretty accurate so far - sounds like you have a good grasp of the tricky Resources/Card-drawing aspects of where to play your cards. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
Couple of quick comments:
1. Props on your Geek Merit Badge - it's cool that you went to all the trouble to print-n-play (as long as you eventually buy the game, that is!)

Well, one of two things was going to happen after all that work: I order 2 copies of the game after my friends and I play the mock up (which is what I'm going to do) or I recover the sleeves after pitching the proxied cards and mourn the loss of what should have been a great game. But after several games, it's clearly a winner and worth buying. The side of me that enjoys constructed deck design sees the merit of buying two boxes even for casual play. I like a deck to have a better chance to do what it's designed to do, not stall while the opponent's deck heats up. OTOH, I'm not buying a third box just for a small handful of cards.
wytefang wrote:

2. Please, please don't bring in other references to CCG and apply them to Warhammer: Invasion (i.e. "monocolor"), I think that the game is cool enough that it deserves its own unique set of nomenclature. I don't mean this remark in a snarky way, at all, but it just bothers me when people start tossing around previously accept vernacular with a new game - kinda cheapens the uniqueness of the newer game. (Yeah, I guess I'm kind of weird about this...)

Sorry, can't help much on this one, friend. I'm not going to threadcrap my own thread with a discussion on why it's useful and inevitable to compare it with other CCG's/LCG's and the vernacular of the genre applies--orcs are green. Dwarves are yellow. Empire is blue. Chaos is red. If you only put one of those four colors in a deck, it's monocolor.

I haven't played most card games, but I've played quite a few, so to me the mechanic of W:I is very fresh, but not radically departed from games such as Magic. I think the similarities are as useful as the differences to rope in existing players, and trust me when I say those folks will bring the vernacular with them. The success of the game is utterly dependent on getting a large number of them to play, so just roll with it if you see a transplanted term.

A terrific game (and W:I is exactly that) is terrific regardless of your semantic choices in describing it. And terrific or not, it's not truly groundbreaking enough to earn a separate vocabulary. That fact doesn't diminish the game at all.

Still, that said, I'll still call the Infiltrate! strategy a "siege" instead of "milling".

wytefang wrote:

3. I think your ratios seem pretty accurate so far - sounds like you have a good grasp of the tricky Resources/Card-drawing aspects of where to play your cards. Good luck!

Thanks! Well, what I've seen so far, assuming my ratios are good, is that I either need to make some better choices, play more games to learn how to play the other races better, or else concede that out of the core set, the orcs have a bit of an advantage--assuming you are playing single-race decks (there, I avoided the "m" word). They hit so hard and so fast, and have the best removal (of both units and support cards) that it's very difficult to stand up to them (not impossible, though).

Again, I think that assessment is at least partially inexperience on my part, but the hidden motive for asking my original question about the card ratios was out of concern that the other three races just can't get to an optimal point soon enough to hold back the greenskins. When I built my four decks, I built them each as well as I could to "do its thing" as well as it could. The orcs just rock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin, you raise some fair points here. I suppose that the fans, themselves, will determine a fair and regularly-used vernacular - most likely, as you have suggested, they'll lazily bring along past terms (it is easier, after all, certainly) and I'll have to be content to grumble under my breath if that happens. LOL

I, too, have wondered if the Orcs are simply too tough, from a quick-start standpoint but it's hard to say just yet. Once many more players are involved and more and more games are being played, we'll probably have a clearer idea of the toughest decks out there. Hopefully FFG will do what they do best with card games and keep the game changing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I built a dwarven deck and played it purely defensively, essentially letting the orcs have my battlefield and just holding them off on the kingdom and quests until Infiltrate! (the only rare I want 3 of) appeared. Not to beat a dead horse with the "siege" strategy (or "milling" for those pesky lazy naming MtG fans) but it is quite possible to beat them that way. I think an Empire deck or combined dwarf/empire might do even better because it can defend well and also move the heavy hitter orcs into their own quest zone from the battlefield so they're literally hemorrhaging cards every turn thereafter.

But...the whole strategy banks on getting Infiltrate! into play early, and we presently don't have many cards that let you search your deck for a particular card, so that makes it a bit unreliable. The orcs have such a straightforward approach (beat on your opponent with almost every card) that everything they draw aims them toward the same aggressive purpose. PLUS--they have amazing removal once the opponent gets a decent defense mounted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I've just built an Orc/Chaos deck and a Dwarven/Empmire (with a bit of "milling" thrown in) and my first initial play-through had the Dwarves & Empire whipping up on the Orcs without even relying heavily on the Milling strategy.

The only bummer with Infiltrate is that it's Unique so having more than 1 in your deck is only good for making sure you get it straight away.

But I do think that these are the two top decks in the game, already. An Orc attack deck (possibly mixed with some potent Chaos units/tactics) and a Dwarven/Empire hybrid that focuses on Milling primarily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.