Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all - I was just tinkering with the idea of giving the marines special powers based on their personality. This is just a bit of fun, and gives you something to think about when you are selecting your squad rather than just picking "x" amount of regular storm bolter marines.

Special powers for the marines unbalances the game a bit, because it makes each marine better than a regular marine at a certain thing while giving him no negative aspect for balance. This could be mitigated by coming up with a counterbalancing negative power to match the positive power, or by increasing the number of blips the stealer gets each turn. Alternatively, you could make these "one use" powers just to give you a little kick when you need it.

Anyway - here goes (I don't think anyone else has posted anything like this. If they have, and I repeat anything, then I apologise):

Valencio - chainfist. No special power.

Lorenzo - sargeant with sword. No special power.

Goriel - the brawler. Gets to reroll his first dice in the first close assault round against each genestealer each turn (i.e. if he is attacked by a stealer twice, he would get a reroll on just the first attack. If a second stealer then attacked him, he would get one reroll against that stealer too). If he is on guard, this power is in addition to the guard reroll.

Zael - flamer. No special power.

Claudio - claws. No special power.

Deino - the marksman. Sustained fire caps at 4+ instead of 5+ (i.e. first shot hits on 6+, second on 5+, third and all subsequent shots at 4+).

Omnio - Mr Logic. While he is alive, any time you draw and keep the 1 CP token you get +1 CP (for a total of 2).

Gideon - hammer. No special power.

Leon - cannon. No special power.

Noctis - Mr Dependable. Only pays 1AP to go into overwatch.
Noctis ALTERNATIVE power - Ignores jams while in overwatch IF the shot kills its target.

Scipio - Mr Plan B. Gets +1AP if he has not fired that turn.
Scipio ALTERNATIVE power - On multi-level maps, can pay 4AP to create an entry point from a higher floor to a lower floor. Marines can descend in the same way as when using a ladder.

Like I said... powers that might be pretty unbalancing, but might be fun to try every now and again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Watney
United Kingdom
Welwyn Garden City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
some interesting stuff there - could be balanced by more stealers, or more scarily - genestealer CP

more alternative powers:

+1 when he rolls an odd number, so instead of 1-6, he'd get 2,2,4,4,6,6. elevates him above the standard amrines, but doesnt overshadow the sarg.

re-rolling dice for shooting

free ap only for use only when moving

combat bonuses only when attacking (encouraging aggressive play)

ability to unload storm bolter after a draw in combat - 3+ to kill at point blank.

hits with bolter on 5+, but no sustained fire bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an alt. for Omnio - for 1 AP cause any 1 blip on the map to do a forced reveal (GS must be placed on any legal spaces). This ability can be used once per SM turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dre2Dee2 wrote:
I have an alt. for Omnio - for 1 AP cause any 1 blip on the map to do a forced reveal (GS must be placed on any legal spaces). This ability can be used once per SM turn.

Although this is thematically sound, it is monstrously powerful. Stealers normally only get 2 blips per turn, so you are revealing 50% of his army every turn. Not only does this stop the stealer player from playing well, it can also be used to "kill" stealers, by revealing a blip sandwiched between two other blips or next to a door so that not all stealers can be placed.

If you were going to stick with this power, I would suggest something along the lines of 4APs and you cannot use CPs on Omnio until the following SM turn to reveal a blip (even then, it is a strong power) or 4APs only to LOOK AT but not reveal a blip.

Of course, some of the powers I came up with are monstrously powerful too, but this one seemed a bit much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

Deino - the marksman. Sustained fire caps at 4+ instead of 5+ (i.e. first shot hits on 6+, second on 5+, third and all subsequent shots at 4+).

When I read that he was a marksman in the mission book and that he had a customized storm bolter with a laser sight I really wanted to give him a rule to take advantage of this. I think you've got a great idea here, but allow me to make my own suggestion:

-Deino rolls +1 for ranged fire, but does not receive the benefit of sustained fire.

It's likely to be a lot more unbalanced than your rule, but it feels slightly more appropriate to the theme.

Another option that just came to me:

- Aimed shot: Deino may either roll as normal or may choose to roll only one die which hits on a 5+.

Hmm... actually that sounds a bit half-baked and not entirely advantageous, but you can see the idea I'm going in: half as many shots, but better chance to hit. I need to check the odds with that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belgand wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

When I read that he was a marksman in the mission book and that he had a customized storm bolter with a laser sight I really wanted to give him a rule to take advantage of this. I think you've got a great idea here, but allow me to make my own suggestion:

-Deino rolls +1 for ranged fire, but does not receive the benefit of sustained fire.

It's likely to be a lot more unbalanced than your rule, but it feels slightly more appropriate to the theme.

Another option that just came to me:

- Aimed shot: Deino may either roll as normal or may choose to roll only one die which hits on a 5+.

Hmm... actually that sounds a bit half-baked and not entirely advantageous, but you can see the idea I'm going in: half as many shots, but better chance to hit. I need to check the odds with that one.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I like the idea of the +1, but I sort of ruled it out on the grounds that it is for every shot, so he is consistently getting sustained fire bonuses even when on the move. I thought this undermined one of the key marine strategic decisions (when do I advance, and when do I hole up for sustained fire bonuses). I didn't want to lose that decision-making element to the game, so I went with a sustained fire bonus.

Also, reading the "fluff" about sustained fire - the first shot is like a quick shot, and then the marine's targetting systems kick in and improve as he draws aim on a constantly present enemy. That's why I thought the marksman should only improve once he is actually aiming properly in sustained fire. It also means he has to fire three times at the same target before the bonus applies, so his power wouldn't get too overpowered.

Maybe I will try out both options and see how they play.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few other ideas for the marksman that your idea got me thinking about:

Can expend all four of his AP for a special "aimed shot." This shot hits on a 2+ and CAN be used to kill the broodlord (of course, you would need to roll 2+ on each dice in that case).

Can pay AP (not CP) to gain +1 to hit for each 1AP spent. This is in addition to sustained fire bonus and can be done AFTER the hit rolls have been made.

While on overwatch, all shots are 5+ to hit, even the first shot at a new target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.