11 Posts

Space Hulk (third edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Overspending command points -- a technicality rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Schlimgen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During the Mission Status Phase victory is checked before revealing the command point counter.

I propose that on the first turn of the game, the Space Marine player spend as many command points as necessary to win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is a joke post, but obviously all steps of the status phase have to be completed before the overall winner is determined...

So, the marine has to complete the victory objective and prove that he did it legally with his CPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vezner
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also the rules specifically state that you cannot spend more CPs than you have. This is separate from the rule that you lose immediately if it turns out in the mission status phase that you spent more CPs that you have. So the OP would be breaking the game rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I'm inclined to allow it, with one caveat: The CP track only goes up to 6, so that's a hard limit on how many you can spend in one turn.

However, if you draw the 1 token, and you think that you can win the game by spending 5 CPs, then I say to allow it. It's an all-or-nothing push. If you meet the victory conditions, you win, if you don't, you lose. Space Hulk is already about calculated risks, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vezner
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It violates an explicit game rule, there is no gray area there. As far as I can read, it violates the spirit of the game as well. Also for many missions there is no "calculated risk" as to whether you could win a scenario with some extra CP. If you have enough CP, you can count the squares and know that you have enough CP to flame the room or exit the board with the artifact or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeez... Seriously...

I give up.

Do people really play games without using common sense?

Check victory conditions. Did you meet them?
Yes.
Did you use more than your CP limit?
Yes.
GAME OVER. YOU LOSE.

You have to complete the entire status phase before the game ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
macron wrote:
During the Mission Status Phase victory is checked before revealing the command point counter.

I propose that on the first turn of the game, the Space Marine player spend as many command points as necessary to win the game.

I appreciated your post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Schlimgen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Jeez... Seriously...

I give up.

Yes.
Yes.
GAME OVER. YOU LOSE.

Geez... Seriously...

I give up.

Do people really not understand humor when it's intentionally followed by a smiley?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
macron wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Jeez... Seriously...

I give up.

Yes.
Yes.
GAME OVER. YOU LOSE.

Geez... Seriously...

I give up.

Do people really not understand humor when it's intentionally followed by a smiley?

Yes - they do. Check my first post (directly below yours - where I say I know this post is a joke).

My response quoted above was to chipacabra who believes he can seriously win this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Belyeu
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is an old post but I'm inclined to allow it. In Mission 1 only though. It says:

VICTORY
Space Marines: The Space Marine player wins by firing a flamer at any square in the Launch Control Room. When this happens the game ends and the Space Marines win IMMEDIATELY(!!!!)."

Meaning that the game never makes it to the end of the turn so no Cp check is ever made. I would say that an all-or-nothing move is allowed in this situation. No other missions make this "immediate" statement, therefore I think as a general rules, this is only allowed in Mission 1.

I might also be inclined to allow it on a couple other missions, but only as house rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tainted cereal
msg tools
Wow I actually just played this game for the first time the other night with my friend and we both had this question. I was playing as the space marines on "suicide Mission" and the wording for the conditions to win w the space marines is what made me wonder. It says space marines win IMMEDIATELY as in- the GS player never looks at the CP token.

During my last turn all I had to do was use 2 AP and shoot my flamer, but just for fun I instead turned around 180 (2 AP) shot my flamer at the GS behind me (2AP) Turned back around another 180 (2CP) then shot my flamer to "win" (2CP) the game. I used 4 CP but I had only 3, knowing i would supposedly win. Both my firend and I laughed, not knowing who actually won that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.