Subject: strat games and girls rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Elliott
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a fiance who likes board games but has never really played a stragety game. What do you think is good one to introduce her to? I was thinking Settlers of Catan. Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Good choice.

Welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poul Soegaard
Denmark
Hobro
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers of Catan plays badly with just two people, so I would recommend some other games:

- Kingsburg (excellent dice dependent game)
- Stone Age (also has dice, workerplacement game, lots of fun)

(just conferred with the wife, and these are her recommendations also) Especially the game stone age are excellent, and I have alot of games under my belt on that one. But if you are 3-4 players then Settlers are great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Every time this is asked, somebody ends up suggesting Lost Cities.

So I'll do that now.

It's not all that much strategy, but I'm sure it's a lot more than she's used to if she plays Clue or Farkle or something. The rules are simple, the gameplay is fantastic, and it's for two players.

Someone else is going to suggest Ticket to Ride. Good choice too. Simple rules, but not quite as good of gameplay as Lost Cities. But it's best with 3 or more players. If you're playing with that many, go TtR.

Catan is all right. I like the game a lot, but my mother found it very difficult to play the first many times. It is a highly proven gateway game, though, so I do think it's an all right choice. 3-4 players.

Carcassonne will also get added to the list. It's very, very simple (especially after watching one of the many tutorials on this site), good gameplay, and very good for 2 players. My parents' favorite game to play with me in this amount of simplicity.

Bohnanza (for 3+ players), Dominion (for 2-4 players), and Hey, That's My Fish! (best with 2, for 2-4) are all also very good and simple. I'd recommend any of those first ones, then one of these three, then something a little more complex, like Power Grid or Puerto Rico.

This strategy worked for me. Convert her slowly. Start with the slow ones, then move up slowly until you get her to the kinda heavy games. Now she likes games almost as much as I do (but she waits for me to buy them so she can avoid spending her own money). Good luck (and congratulations on getting engaged)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Josh,

Welcome to BGG.

A guy name Anselmo asked that same question, and I threw together a list of recommendations that the members of BGG had compiled over the years. Here it is:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/2293637#2293637

It's great that you and your gf enjoy gaming together. Last night I called my wife a boardgamegeek for the first time, and she didn't like it (but she didn't deny it!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Joshua,

There have been some good suggestions already. I'll add a few more:

Archaeology: The Card Game has great artwork and nice quality cards.

If you and she might like something a little more abstract, you could look at ZÈRTZ or Kalah

If you might like push-your-luck games, take a look at Can't Stop, or Unnamed Object (which says 3-8, but we have found works with 2).

If you like some dice for movement, without going around in a circle, look at Indus, which has an interesting theme and great bits.

If you want to try a cooperative game, where you're on the same team, look at Pandemic.

If you want something colorful and fun, perhaps something like Qwirkle Cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Elliott
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! I got her, her sister, and a friend to play Catan, and they had a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should this microbadge be approved?
Poll
Yes
Needs work
NOOOOO!!!!!
      3 answers
Poll created by l10n0fjudah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.