Subject: Boardgame Dimensions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Ross
Ireland
Cork
Ireland
flag msg tools
The mysteries about how we evolved should not distract us from the indisputable fact that we did evolve. -- Jerry A. Coyne
badge
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. -- E E Cummings
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

This is my first post at boardgamegeek.com and I would like to know if there is a forum, or thread, here which gives the actual dimensions, in inches or centimetres, of hardwood boardgames? I have visited a lot of game review blogs and they all generally describe board game sizes as being either large or small. Since I do not own any particularly large table on which to play games such a Space Hulk or Ghost Stories I am reluctant to spend my money on these table hogging games. Also, playing on the ground is not an option. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards,

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Could you mention a couple of specific titles you're interested in?

It is possible that some Geek who is a fan of that particular game would be able to provide the information you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nothing says "I love you" like a new dice bag
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it also helps to look at pictures of people playing a game, to get a sense of scale. A game of Oshi, for example, is quite compact, and might interest you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since boardgames are played on tables, they are typically designed to fit on those tables, so generally there's no problem. While a 30 inch card table is a bit small for some games, it will usually do. However, few games are made of hardwood, so I think the suggestion to tell us the games you're specifically concerned about would help.

I think the first step for a specific game would be to post to that game's General forum. If that fails to get you an answer, then you can go down to the statistics section, and clicking on the "Users Owning" will list all the owners of the game. You can then try dropping an owner or two a note.

One problem may be that different people lay out their games differently. For example, I've seen Le Havre played in little more space than its board, or spread over most of a 30" x 72" banquet table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ross
Ireland
Cork
Ireland
flag msg tools
The mysteries about how we evolved should not distract us from the indisputable fact that we did evolve. -- Jerry A. Coyne
badge
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. -- E E Cummings
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the feedback. The games in particular I would like the dimensions of are Space Hulk, Arkham Horror, Shogun, Talisman 4th Edition, and Twilight Imperium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might it be worth to have an additional category in the general product description stating the size of a game box or game board? From a storage and/or packaging point of view, it would be particularly helpful knowing how big a shelf or packaging box one would need for the game. I had a query along these lines yesterday, and I queried in the respective forums, and I got a helpful answer...but maybe it could start to be put into the vital statistics of each game, so that people can see it with a single glance?

Just a thought. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.