Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Mead
United States
Surprise
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will get this out of the way first. The Dungeon of D is an awesome game. I would pay for this game if I saw it at my FLGS. It is a unique solitaire game that has a very clever point system. The Dungeon of D is also a tough game. I have not yet legitimately won it.

I saw this game in the BGG hotness a while back, and I gave it a look. I didn't know Print and Play games really existed before that, and I thought that it would be worth a look. After reading some of the reviews, and looking at the really nice revised artwork, I was sold. I ended up printing out a copy on cardstock. I tried printing each side of the cards on separate cardstock pages, and then gluing them together. I had trouble lining up the images, but I ended up with a serviceable game. I also had a heroclix figure that I found geocaching at around the same time, so I use that figure each time I play. (If you don't know what geocaching is, check out geocaching.com, and say goodbye to any spare time you had left).

If I have any complaint about this game, it is the fact that it has indirectly cost me more money than if I saw it in my FLGS. You see, I have used a fair amount of ink printing up the cards. Since I have my servicable version, I decided that I would try to make a much nicer version that I could show off. Thus, I need to print out all of the cards again. I also ended up buying a cold laminator, and a wood storage box that I plan to paint and detail, similar to what other people have done for the game.

When you play this game, you are introduced to a unique point system on each card. The way you orient the cards in front of you shows your current status, items, gold, level, etc. I particularly like the gold amount cards, they are very clever. You also have a very nice random dungeon generator element for each dungeon level.

I do have to admit that I have cheated, and I have done the endgame part that requires your PC. Yeah, I used to try to peak at my Christmas presents when I was a kid before the big day too. I am happy that I did to satisfy my curiosity. However, I think the real gem of this game is the gameplay and mechanics. It is not easy, but it is a lot of fun. Hence, the true value in this game is the journey, and not the destination.

I look forward to the Adventure of D!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The subject is the same phrase I'd use for Tales of the Arabian Nights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
masdero wrote:
The subject is the same phrase I'd use for Tales of the Arabian Nights.

...and I LOVE both games. Guess I've learned something about myself, eh?

I have said before, and I'll say it again, The Dungeon of D is the game I own which I really wish I could say I designed. It's incredibly clever, and keeps surprising me by the layers of clever.

I have ALMOST legitimately won- level 8, died before reaching the Pit of Darkness. That's as close as I've come. It was with the Wrestler, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.