Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a Steam newbie, and I haven't ever played Age of Steam either. I thought I'd jump in here and list a few ambiguities I found in this map, and how I resolved them. Mostly, they come up because the rules (in Steam, anyway) there is not normally the possibility of having towns with cubes on them.

1) The rules state that deliveries must be city to city. Since Urbanize isn't an option on this map, it is necessary to assume that this rule does not apply to the map. Odd that it's not mentioned, and that no one else has pointed this out in the forums...
2) Given that deliveries can be made from towns in this scenario, is it necessary that track touch the hex (like a city) or be in the hex (with a town track tile)? I ruled that it was necessary to build track on the town hex before making a delivery.
3)If I'm wrong and only touching the hex is required, then would it follow that it's not necessary to build in the hex at all to pass through the delivery of a cube over multiple links? (in other words, to run a delivery through a city track only needs to be on either side of the city hex. Is it the same for towns in this scenario?) Since I ruled that it was necessary to build on the hex for question 2, it's obvious this didn't come up. However, this solution would be more internally consistent with the way cities behave, which is where cubes normally are.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which rules state city to city?

As to the rest, it is unreasonable to think that goods being in towns would fundamentally change the track building rules. Granted, those rules are muchclearer in the aos rules, but Steam's are workable. You must connect a town (building into hex, choose town tile, pay for exits) just as in any map where this in not explicitly changed.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having checked, I see that the city-to-city rule is from Steam. Ignore it and assume something close to AoS which merely specifies permissable places for goods to go and where they have to end up.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

So, to be clear, it IS necessary to build a track tile on the town before being able to ship goods? This is how I played, but it's inconsistent with how cities work.

Miguel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agent easy wrote:
Thanks.

So, to be clear, it IS necessary to build a track tile on the town before being able to ship goods? This is how I played, but it's inconsistent with how cities work.

They are not cities.

Remember that AoS rules only talk about cities as destinations for goods (so Ted probably should have been more explicit in his Steam paste-up rules)

Shipping to and on from a town in Steam is only possible if it is properly connected, so you should consider this in exactly the same way except that you don't need to ship the goods to the town, they just start there.

Steam rules have been stated differently enough to AoS that you should expect to see lots of subtle conflicts if you continue to use AoS expansion maps with Steam. Don't be a rules-lawyer with the precise wording of the base Steam rules because they are not entirely consistent with the AoS ones.

In general, you're going to have to figure out the minimum possible changes to the base rules that make sense. Start with the just explicit changes stated in the expansion map rules and then fix any inconsistencies. If you find yourself redefining towns as cities or shipping over a gap in the map you should stop, back up, and try to figure out a way you hadn't thought of that requires less drastic changes.

Remember that because the production/goods growth is such a central part of AoS and heavily modified in certain expansions, there are AoS expansion maps that are going to be impractical to play with Steam. Again, if you end up collecting enough different expansion maps, buying a copy of AoS isn't going to cost much in comparison.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again!

I'm certainly not trying to be a rules lawyer. As I said I played using my own interpretation of the inconsistencies, but I wanted to check here to see if I was right.

I am now downloading the AoS rules to help me understand the original intention of the rules. Hopefully, that will help with the rules interpretations for Steam.

Miguel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agent easy wrote:
Thanks again!

I'm certainly not trying to be a rules lawyer. As I said I played using my own interpretation of the inconsistencies, but I wanted to check here to see if I was right.

I am now downloading the AoS rules to help me understand the original intention of the rules. Hopefully, that will help with the rules interpretations for Steam.

For your expansion map, or the ones for the game? As far as I'm aware, the AoS rules are not available for download.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All that and not even a thumb?

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry! There you go. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.