Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally brought out the game again tonight and some questions arose:

1) Can you connect as many cities as you can afford during the build phase? The examples only gave instances of one connection, but nothing indicated you could or could not perform multiple connections.

2) It is first to connect to 17 cities wins, right? It seemed easy enough for someone in a 3-player game to hit. Do you need to be in stage 3 to hit this victory condition (it's listed in that section in the rulebook), or is it first to 17 connections wins no matter whether you're in stage 2 or 3?

3) Between phase 4 (buy) and 5 (bureaucracy) stage 2 says that the lowest value plant on the market must be removed ONCE. Does this mean when stage 2 is achieved (someone has 7 connections) and then never again, or once every turn after stage 2 is achieved, between phase 4 and 5 this process must be done?

Thanks for any help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Some Power Grid questions
1) Yes, you can build into as many cities as you can afford.

2) No, once someone builds to 17, the end game is triggered. You play that turn out and whoever powers the most cities that turn is the winner.

3) I believe this is a one shot thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snipafist wrote:

1) Can you connect as many cities as you can afford during the build phase? The examples only gave instances of one connection, but nothing indicated you could or could not perform multiple connections.

Yes there is no limit to the number of cities you can connect to in one turn other than your available cash and the step of the game you are in.

Snipafist wrote:

2) It is first to connect to 17 cities wins, right? It seemed easy enough for someone in a 3-player game to hit. Do you need to be in stage 3 to hit this victory condition (it's listed in that section in the rulebook), or is it first to 17 connections wins no matter whether you're in stage 2 or 3?

No, 17 cities (or whatever--it changes based on player count) is the TRIGGER for the endgame. When at least one player has connected to 17, that signals that this will be the last turn. Then, whoever powers the most cities in that turn wins the game. Ties are resolved with cash.

Snipafist wrote:

3) Between phase 4 (buy) and 5 (bureaucracy) stage 2 says that the lowest value plant on the market must be removed ONCE. Does this mean when stage 2 is achieved (someone has 7 connections) and then never again, or once every turn after stage 2 is achieved, between phase 4 and 5 this process must be done?

Thanks for any help!

At the end of the building phase, if at least one player has 7 connections, step 2 begins. At this point, the lowest value plant is removed from the game and replaced from the draw deck. This is a one-time event. Also note that the step 2 trigger is different in 2-player games (10) and 6-player games (6).

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel silverthorne
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers Geeks. I was playing this wrong in question 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mexilplif wrote:

Indeed - a big thanks to everyone! I can't believe we were playing #2 wrong, but I don't recall reading about powering cities. Oops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radu Babajurjur
Canada
flag msg tools
Snipafist wrote:
mexilplif wrote:

Indeed - a big thanks to everyone! I can't believe we were playing #2 wrong, but I don't recall reading about powering cities. Oops.

now that you are clear on the basics, time for more confusion

you can build city #18 and #19 (and 20/21) in a 3 player game if someone else built #17 in the same round, and win if you have the power plant capacity and resource to support all of them, so by building city #17 by at least one player only signals this is the last round of the game.

this means if u have the ability to support #18 and you build first, go for 18 cities instead of 17, which makes it harder for other players to win.

removal of the lowest plant from the market at every round does happen, ONLY in the Benelux map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jilm Big
msg tools
I have a quick question. Just bought the game and only read the rules. For the auction phase, can players auction their own plants, or just the plants on the active market?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
seaboardcat wrote:
I have a quick question. Just bought the game and only read the rules. For the auction phase, can players auction their own plants, or just the plants on the active market?

You never sell a plant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jilm Big
msg tools
ok, thanks. thats all for now. cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.