Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Does Plague force the Morph to be discarded? The Plague card says that one card of each type must be discarded. Intuitively I would think that Encounter is its own type, but the card clearly says that Attack and Negotiate are distinct types. (Also from years of CE experience I know that's just how it works.) The logical extension of this seems to be that Morph is its own type as well. In tonight's game, another player disagreed, so we flipped a coin to resolve the argument. I won the toss so he had to throw out his Morph. What say ye?

2) I was playing as Vulch when the aforementioned player played Plague against me during the start of my turn. I took the damage, picked it up (Vulch power) and played it right back at him. He didn't like this, and felt it was cheesy. I explained that we were still in the Regroup phase, therefore I could play the Plague. The only limitation on playing Plague is that the phase must be Regroup. There's no reason to believe either his plaguing or my using the Vulch power would suddenly force the phase to become Destiny. He wouldn't buy it so we went the coin flip route again. (It's just friendly gaming and I'd rather not waste time arguing.) This time I lost the toss. What say ye?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
1: I'd rule that the morph isn't either. It doesn't have either as it's card type. It IS an encounter card, but it's not an attack or a negotiate.

2: I agree with you. Vulch gets the artifact immediately. Thus it's still the same phase, and the timing is right for you to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another voice of agreement on Hawkman's interpretations.

1) Morph is its own card type, which makes it absolutely EVIL when you play as Hate, and use the Morph as his "discard this or take a penalty" card. Therefore, it's also a unique type for the Plague's requirement as well.

2) Phases typically end when no one can or chooses to take an action / play a card that triggers in that phase/subphase.

A similar "back at ya" would occur if Vulch is allied with another player against an opponent whose power use will give them a victory, so Vulch's partner Cosmic Zaps them. The opponent then plays a Card Zap to cancel the Cosmic Zap, but both of those cards are picked up by Vulch. We're still awaiting whether or not the opponent's power is allowed through (the other Cosmic Zap could be played at this time), and nothing that has been played is dependent on the power having been allowed, so we're at the exact same moment still, and Vulch can replay the Cosmic Zap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark W
United States
Islip
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot guys! Is there any official ruling on the morph question? To me it just seems like it "makes sense" while my second question seems to be clearly answered by the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NeonPeon wrote:
Thanks a lot guys! Is there any official ruling on the morph question? To me it just seems like it "makes sense" while my second question seems to be clearly answered by the rules.

Rogue42 finds the answer below. An easy way to think about it is that Plague forces you to discard one card of each color pattern: Attack (red), Negotiate (green), Morph (red-green), Artifact (blue), Reinforcement (purple), and Flare (white-yellow-blue).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:
It doesn't state this anywhere in the rules, but the explicit separation made between Attack cards and Negotiate cards would suggest Morph is a third unique type of Encounter card, and so you'd discard it. An easy way to think about it is that Plague forces you to discard one card of each color pattern: Attack (red), Negotiate (green), Morph (red-green), Artifact (blue), Reinforcement (purple), and Flare (white-yellow-blue).

There actually is a ruling. On page 13 of the rule book, there's a section called Card Types that states:

The different card types are: attack, negotiate, morph, reinforcement, flare, and artifact.

So there's your answer!

And to the OP, regarding #2, it's definitely within the context of the game to have Plague bounced by Vulch back at another player... or, against the same player, causing the dreaded Double Plague. See the thread a couple below this one regarding the possible "Triple Plague" and other, even worse plausible scenarios, provided you want to stretch the rules a bit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier N.
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just played my first CE! cool
And I already have a few questions about the rules...

Here is one concerning the Plague.

At the beginning of an encounter, I have no spaceship on the warp.
During my regroup phase, I'm the target of the plague. So I loose three ships.
But, we are still in the regroup phase: as I haven't retrieved any ship yet, can I still do so?

Thanks for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rémido wrote:
I've just played my first CE! cool
And I already have a few questions about the rules...

Here is one concerning the Plague.

At the beginning of an encounter, I have no spaceship on the warp.
During my regroup phase, I'm the target of the plague. So I loose three ships.
But, we are still in the regroup phase: as I haven't retrieved any ship yet, can I still do so?

Thanks for your help.

I would say yes because the Plague is played at the start of the encounter in the regroup phase but before you would take a ship out of the warp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rémido wrote:
So I loose three ships.

FYI, it's spelled "lose", not "loose". "Lose", the opposite of "win", rhymes with "choose" and "whose", but is spelled like the latter. "Loose", the opposite of "tight", rhymes with "goose".

I'm taking the time to say that because I'm seeing it so much on BGG that I'm catching myself spelling it that way. Ack!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier N.
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
English is not my mother tongue and I try to do my best when posting here. So, sorry for my mistake...blush
And, thanks for helping me improving my writing skill.
BTW, the rhymes won't help me as my English phonetics are terrible, so that "choose" and "goose" can easily rhyme when I'm saying them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Karlsson
Sweden
Eskilstuna
Södermanland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got another question regarding the Plague card. If you are attacker and an opponent cast plague at you and lose so many cards that you cant make an attack that encounter. Do you get 8 new cards for that attack then?

It cleary says; If you are attacker and dont have any encountercards at the start of your turn, you get 8 new cards. But does regroup count as "start of turn"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Regroup and Start Turn are two distinct phases ... just look at the bottom of any alien sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Karlsson
Sweden
Eskilstuna
Södermanland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How would that encounter progress then? Does the attacker draw a destinycard? He couldnt even play a card in the planning phase..

Or does his turn just end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barliman wrote:
Rémido wrote:
So I loose three ships.

FYI, it's spelled "lose", not "loose". "Lose", the opposite of "win", rhymes with "choose" and "whose", but is spelled like the latter. "Loose", the opposite of "tight", rhymes with "goose".

I'm taking the time to say that because I'm seeing it so much on BGG that I'm catching myself spelling it that way. Ack!

I love this ... it drives me crazy too so I had to laugh at this. How often do you see some winner trying to make a huge point by calling someone else a "looser"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Jabberwock80 wrote:
How would that encounter progress then? Does the attacker draw a destinycard? He couldnt even play a card in the planning phase..

Or does his turn just end?

On page 7, the Cosmic Encounter rulebook wrote:
Starting the Turn

The player whose turn it is (the offense) first checks his or her
hand to make sure it contains at least one encounter card. If
it does not, the player reveals any cards remaining in hand,
discards them, then draws a new hand of eight cards. This is
the only time during the offense’s turn that he or she may get a
new hand
of cards in this fashion. Should the offense run out
of encounter cards later on,
his or her turn ends (see “Drawing
New Cards” on page 13).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.