Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk Rules FAQ Compilation
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=17814...
The Bolter and Chainsword - Frater Domus - Other Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Hamson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very helpful, thank you so much for providing that link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Q: Can I turn on OVERWATCH while having Genestealers visible?
A: yes you can.

I don't understand this ruling. The rules cleary state:
Quote:
If a Space Marine is attacked in close assault or performs any other action (other than clearing a jam) he immediately loses his overwatch status.
(emphasis my own)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voynix wrote:
Quote:
Q: Can I turn on OVERWATCH while having Genestealers visible?
A: yes you can.

I don't understand this ruling. The rules cleary state:
Quote:
If a Space Marine is attacked in close assault or performs any other action (other than clearing a jam) he immediately loses his overwatch status.
(emphasis my own)

I dont see the contradiction.

You can go into overwatch with 'stealers in your LOS.

You cant do anything in overwatch but mandatory shoot actions and clearing jams.

What does that have to do with having 'stealers visible when you first go into overwatch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
I misunderstood the question. I took "can I turn on overwatch" literally to mean "can I turn while on overwatch" rather than "can I place a marine on overwatch". sorry blush. Nonetheless, the wording is a bit ambiguous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voynix wrote:
...the wording is a bit ambiguous.

Welcome to Games Workshop.

My college roommate was an editor for Games Workshop for a while. If he was here he would say, "You should see the rules before they get into an editor's hands."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanwinter wrote:
voynix wrote:
...the wording is a bit ambiguous.

Welcome to Games Workshop.

My college roommate was an editor for Games Workshop for a while. If he was here he would say, "You should see the rules before they get into an editor's hands."

Was this FAQ actually written by GW then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This FAQ, however official it be, really doesn't solve my two major concerns:

1) Do CPs really override overwatch and
2) Can CPs really be used by any Marine during GS's turn, not just by the Marine who witnessed the action

However, it did correct one issue we had - the one when the Marine falls down dead and his comrade behind him in Overwatch suddenly sees a Genestealer. We played that he cannot react (because he didn't witness the action) but I guess the "door explanation" works, so we'll play that way next time instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

No. This is a compilation FAQ from another forum, like the one here on BGG (click), or another one I found on Warseer here.

Edit: Trust me, you'll know when the official FAQ is released. 1) It'll be a link on games-workshop.com, and B) Somebody will have a post like "OFFICIAL FAQ RELEASED!!!!" or something to that effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
This FAQ, however official it be, really doesn't solve my two major concerns:

1) Do CPs really override overwatch and
2) Can CPs really be used by any Marine during GS's turn, not just by the Marine who witnessed the action

However, it did correct one issue we had - the one when the Marine falls down dead and his comrade behind him in Overwatch suddenly sees a Genestealer. We played that he cannot react (because he didn't witness the action) but I guess the "door explanation" works, so we'll play that way next time instead.

Even though that link is not official, they did get that rule right. When a Space Marine dies in close combat and another SM has line of sight and overwatch, he can shoot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys can i just clarify one thing. I noticed this on the FAQ

Q: How do I resolve a JAMMING in OVERWATCH?
A: if you get a JAMMING on a OVERWATCH you resolve/UNJAM it efter the Geneastealers next move and can once again shoot during the next move.

example: Genestealer moves, you FIRE AND JAM, Genestealer moves again, YOU UNJAME, Genestealer move again and your OVERWATCH IS ACTIVE AND YOU MAY FIRE.

I had assumed, genestealer moves, terminator fires, gun jams. Genestealer moves again, marine unjams gun and fires again.

Above is saying the genestealer gets to move a free square effectively because that is the time it takes to unjam the gun.

Makes sense,i think it's a good idea, i just hadn't read it that way. I presume this is correct?

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andywatkins1963 wrote:
Guys can i just clarify one thing. I noticed this on the FAQ

Q: How do I resolve a JAMMING in OVERWATCH?
A: if you get a JAMMING on a OVERWATCH you resolve/UNJAM it efter the Geneastealers next move and can once again shoot during the next move.

example: Genestealer moves, you FIRE AND JAM, Genestealer moves again, YOU UNJAME, Genestealer move again and your OVERWATCH IS ACTIVE AND YOU MAY FIRE.

I had assumed, genestealer moves, terminator fires, gun jams. Genestealer moves again, marine unjams gun and fires again.

Above is saying the genestealer gets to move a free square effectively because that is the time it takes to unjam the gun.

Makes sense,i think it's a good idea, i just hadn't read it that way. I presume this is correct?

Andy

The above is correct, just not quite spelled out in enough detail.

After a Genestealer action, the SM player can spend a command point to carry out one action on any SM. That SM is now done acting until the GS takes another action in LOS. The rest of the SMs on overwatch can shoot if applicable.

So using a jam as the example:
1) GS moves.
1a) SM player does not spend any CPs.
1b) SM shoots in overwatch and jams.
2) GS moves.
2a) SM player spends 1 CP to clear the jam and the SM goes back on overwatch.
2b) SM cannot shoot in overwatch since he just performed an action.
3) GS moves.
3a) SM player does not spend any CPs.
3b) SM shoots in overwatch.

See this for another example, and this for a slightly better description of spending CPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Haggis wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

No. This is a compilation FAQ from another forum, like the one here on BGG (click), or another one I found on Warseer here.

Edit: Trust me, you'll know when the official FAQ is released. 1) It'll be a link on games-workshop.com, and B) Somebody will have a post like "OFFICIAL FAQ RELEASED!!!!" or something to that effect.

That's what I suspected, but I wanted to check because there was a bit of talk like this was official from GW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:

Well, with the sensorium technically they all see it. If that makes you feel better.

Nothing says you can't make it work the way you want with a house rule.

baba44713 wrote:

His battle brother is brutally cut down in front of him by a xenomorphic horror from the warp and you assume he just didn't happen to notice? :what:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belgand wrote:
baba44713 wrote:

Well, with the sensorium technically they all see it. If that makes you feel better.

Nothing says you can't make it work the way you want with a house rule.

baba44713 wrote:

His battle brother is brutally cut down in front of him by a xenomorphic horror from the warp and you assume he just didn't happen to notice?

Umm... settling out rule issues with thematic rationalizations.. THAT'll get you far..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Belgand wrote:
baba44713 wrote:

[/q]I love thematic explanations of the rules: they are a great mnemonic!

I don't have the Mission book at hand, but I remember that the Sergeant sees everything his men see, but not the other way around. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lebigot wrote:
I love thematic explanations of the rules: they are a great mnemonic!

Yes, when they enforce an actual rule.. but as a way of solving issues that pop up, they generally suck big time.

"Can I shoot forward if a fellow marine stands in front of me?"
"Sure you can! He will just lean on one side and let you aim, no prob!"

"Can I win a close combat fight if I got attacked from behind?"
"Sure you can! You have a sword, do you not? So you basically skewered him while he was jumping on your back!"

"Can I attack the marine standing beside an entry point with the new reinforcements?"
"Sure you can! Like Genestealer will stand politely and NOT enter if the stupid marine is standing there!"

See?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
lebigot wrote:
I love thematic explanations of the rules: they are a great mnemonic!

Yes, when they enforce an actual rule.. but as a way of solving issues that pop up, they generally suck big time.

"Can I shoot forward if a fellow marine stands in front of me?"
"Sure you can! He will just lean on one side and let you aim, no prob!"

"Can I win a close combat fight if I got attacked from behind?"
"Sure you can! You have a sword, do you not? So you basically skewered him while he was jumping on your back!"

"Can I attack the marine standing beside an entry point with the new reinforcements?"
"Sure you can! Like Genestealer will stand politely and NOT enter if the stupid marine is standing there!"

See?
I do agree with you all the way! I would not take the theme and make up a rule, but I'm always happy to do the opposite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgand
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, no, you all have very valid points and I wasn't intending to be 100% serious earlier. Part of the problem, of course, is coming from an RPG background where making rules up from theme is, well, basically the entire point most of the time.

I was basically trying to use theme to justify the rules. That's why I suggested that if you don't want marines to act without having their own LOS to the target I suggested just using a house rule to wish it away.

For the close combat issue I see it as being a mechanics issue more than anything: OW takes place at the resolution of actions so killing a marine in combat resolves with the GS standing there, just as if he'd walked around a corner. At the end of the action he is in LOS so he gets fired upon.

I was just trying to kid around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.