Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have a definitive guide to the differences between the various versions, or a link to such a guide?

I have read much, with some basic comparisons between the sets. It would seem to me that the AH version gets slammed quite a bit for being light in the alien powers department - 20 I believe vs the 50 or so of other sets. There is also a common thought that since it only plays up to 4, it is inferior to those that can accommodate up to 5 or 6.

From purely aesthetics point of view, I rather think the AH set is the best looking of the bunch. I like the artwork on the Alien cards I've seen it beasts the planet circles on the FF model, hands down

That said, aesthetics does not a game make. These were just my observations. I ask some of these because I have a chance to pick up an AH copy fairly cheap and wondered if it were worth the effort at all. I was also curious if the AH game could be enhanced to 5 and have powers added and so forth.

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AH's version is an exact duplicate of the EON version's base set. I remember when it first came out, and seeing that it's warp could support 6 players, I was expecting to see expansions just like EON's. but they never came out. I think this is why people don't like AH's version. That, and the /too/ fancy miniatures used.

CE has always been more about gameplay and less components, almost to the point of a Eurotrash game. FFG's version is great because A) it's got a lot in it (more than EON's base game) and B) it's an updated feel but still has the flavor of simplicity. It's easy to move the FFG ships around, stack them, etc. They don't get in te way like AH's did.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is about the 4 US versions of CE before the FFG version:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/273958

This is about some of the international versions of CE:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/331778

This is a review of the FFG version in terms of why fans of previous version should like it:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/361426

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys - the latter in particular was exactly what I was looking for but I guess I didn't have to be so lazy to find it. I would say you were exactly the guy I was looking for Jack in regard to this matter.

I will read them all! I am going to guess you are not a fan of acquiring the AH version.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am glad I read your pieces. Though I too really like the planetary systems in AH far more than these planet disks, It would seem that 20 dollars spent competing for a ebay version, would be $20 better spent towards the FFG set.

As somewhat of a guy who has taken some games, and tinkered with the aesthetics (See BSG), I was wondering if you couldn't just use the Planetary systems of AH with the new version. I also see that someone has has some artwork for a 5th and 6th Planetary system that could be used.

Its clear that you feel the FFG version is your preferred choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JacquesDeMolay wrote:
As somewhat of a guy who has taken some games, and tinkered with the aesthetics (See BSG), I was wondering if you couldn't just use the Planetary systems of AH with the new version. I also see that someone has has some artwork for a 5th and 6th Planetary system that could be used.

Its clear that you feel the FFG version is your preferred choice.

Trust me, making the planets their own separate disks is a smart move for three reasons:

1) You can play on any flat surface regardless of how it is shaped, because you can arrange them to fit the space.

2) You can more easily play a Short Game (4 home planets, 4 foreign colonies to win), without being distracted by the extraneous artwork.

3) Now that planets are individual, movable entities and have two distinct sides to them, the variant/homebrew possibilities are endless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have loved a little more variety in the planet art- I think it was a missed opportunity. I made my own systems so I could have 10 different colors, and I put special systems on the backs (the classic Reverse Hex stuff, along with my own creations). I'm looking forward to FFG's take on this concept down the road (I don't expect to see it until a 4th expansion at the earliest). But I did use the AH art for 4 of the systems in my custom set. It's my favorite part of that set. Right now the FFG and my custom set get equal play, but after Cosmic Incursion comes out, I will probably be using the FFG set more and more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Burns
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is my extensive (or wordy) comparison/contrast between the Mayfair version and the original Eon game (the West End and AH versions were basic editions of Eon's original and offered no significant changes to rules or gameplay).

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/26965

I actually planned to write a short post detailing FFG's changes to the game as well... hopefully I'll get to it in the next month or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.