Subject: Chainfist - what is it for? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gergely Orsó
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi!

I just can't for the life of me understand this weapon. The only specialty is that it can destroy doors without effort for 1 ap - the same as if I had been opening them. I simply cannot think of a situation when this gives me any advantage unless the door is jammed. Shooting a door open - now I understand that one, chance of opening it for free with a move and shoot action, and getting line of sight earlier. But in what circumstances does it benefit me to tear down a door I'm standing front of? There's no reason to close the door later, b/c stealers can just as well open it for the same action point cost, and their line of sight has no game effect...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kalgreen
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jammed doors in some scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord Vetinari wrote:
Hi!

I just can't for the life of me understand this weapon. The only specialty is that it can destroy doors without effort for 1 ap - the same as if I had been opening them. I simply cannot think of a situation when this gives me any advantage unless the door is jammed. Shooting a door open - now I understand that one, chance of opening it for free with a move and shoot action, and getting line of sight earlier. But in what circumstances does it benefit me to tear down a door I'm standing front of? There's no reason to close the door later, b/c stealers can just as well open it for the same action point cost, and their line of sight has no game effect...

Actually, there are reasons for the gs player to want to close the door on occasion. Destroying the door removes that option. If I have the choice as a marine player between destroying a door and opening it, I'm almost always destroying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-M
msg tools
There are actually several reasons why you would want to destroy a door rather than just open it. Here's a few;

Closing a door makes you fire at it on overwatch: marines can jam, and assault cannons waste precious ammo.

Stealer gets close to a marine, but is still a few spaces away. If he closes a door, then the marine has to spend one more ap the next turn before shooting stealers. Stealers are faster, so one ap can really count sometimes.

Flamers. If the marine player can't see a tile, he can't shoot it. Also, doors block fire counters on the tile they're on (for example, middle of a hallway section).

In addition to these, it's also just good for jammed doors. Hope this helps answer your question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

As a matter of interest, where in Heaven's name is the chainfist mentioned in the rule book ? I must have missed it.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without the rulebook in front of me, I would think the chainfist would be listed near the back with the rest of the weapons (stormbolter and such).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Spreading butter, straight from the fridge.

(sorry, couldn't resist)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Mc
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
the_gecko wrote:
There are actually several reasons why you would want to
Flamers. If the marine player can't see a tile, he can't shoot it. Also, doors block fire counters on the tile they're on (for example, middle of a hallway section).

Realistically, sure. But is that actually a rule from the book? I don't remember reading it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
threemcs wrote:
the_gecko wrote:
There are actually several reasons why you would want to

Realistically, sure. But is that actually a rule from the book? I don't remember reading it.

"Flamers cannot destroy or shoot through closed doors. If a section which takes a flamer hit has any closed doors then the squares beyond the door are unaffected."

Page 21.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.