Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just attempted to teach a bunch of new people the game yesterday. I had two true veterans of several games helping me with the new players yesterday. We used three boards. Two players had never played a game before. Three players had played less than three games or less and are still learning the game. It went well but ...

I think we threw too many things at them at once. I did wisely limit us to three buildings for a shorter game. We still used the full variety of units which brings me to my personal challenge.

If I wanted to bring as few unit types to the table as possible which ones would I chose? I'm doing this for the sake of teaching the game and bringing a monster/faction down to the essentials. Later the variety can be added. I want the new players to stick to one monster once we figure out which faction looks fun to them.

Sky Sentinel

1 unit = G1 Strike Fighter

Believe it or not there is a quite a bit that could be learned by just learning how to use these together. I'm grouping elite and shadow as still just one type of unit. I know the limit is 5 elite and 5 grunt. I don't have 5 elite but I believe I have 3 which is plenty to demonstrate how leadership works. The "I determine where the battle happens" as well as "I can disrupt your base that you think is secure" would be fun to demonstrate.

2 units = add the Rocket Chopper

I know what about the repair vehicle? I actually think that learning how to attack effectively is more important. Spotter is effictively one free strike when making a blast attack. It is important to learn how to place these strategically on the board so that your G1's and Sky Sentinel itself can make use of spotter.

3 units = add the Repair Vehicle

It is finally important to teach a new player how to heal your big robot. I have two. It might be good to have one on the board to help secure a building in a somewhat central location. There aren't a ton of actions that a GUARD force will do but this is certainly the most important one to learn.

4 units = add the G Tank

As much as I love using G1's with Sky Sentinel there is still a place for a few G Tanks which simply don't get crushed as easily. I know they don't get the extra boost dice from the monster. However, I try to bring a few banks and park the banks in places where I'll park my G Tanks for hopefully the whole game.

What about the rest of you? If you had to pick a monster to either teach a new player which units would you include to teach the game and how that monster and force works? This could also be done as a way to artificially handicap yourself against a newer player. For example, I think I could still hold my own as Sky Sentinel with only two units if I wanted to teach a newer player without intentionally throwing a game ... something that no one other than young children appreciate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone wants to try this I'm interested in a minimalist list for:

1) Zor-Maxim (perhaps one of the best for teaching the game?)
2) Pteradax (difficult to learn with but viable long term)
3) Gorghadra (I have a Gorghadra player in the group ... I haven't used Planet Eaters enough to know how to advise him)
4) any morpher (for players advanced enough to learn morphers)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyoko Steeple
United States
Columbia
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with Gorghadra - used him in a 'teaching' game on Friday night, actually. For my introductory games, each player gets a monster and five units (three different types); the map is filled with buildings and players get P-dice for destroying them, but I don't use the secured-building abilities - just keep track of monster and unit abilities seems to be enough for the first game.

I don't know if only using five units per side is actually balanced, but then it's only an introductory game. So far I've used:

Deimos-9 w/ 2x Power Pod, 2x Vanguard, 1x Hunter

Terra Khan w/ 1x Spikodon, 2x Raptix, 2x Carnidon

Defender X w/ 3x G-Tank, 1x Repair Vehicle, 1x Mobile Ops Center

Gorghadra w/ 1x Explodohawk, 1x Crawler, 3x Destructomite

For what it's worth, Deimos-9 slaughtered Terra Khan and Gorghadra slaughtered Defender X. Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
max raymond
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your tread is making me think of something i wanted to ask for a long time. In the idea of introduction armies (with the fewest unit possible) can you MonPoc veterans think of not just one but two factions that would work well against each other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arden Nelson Jr.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SleightOfHand wrote:

Defender X w/ 3x G-Tank, 1x Repair Vehicle, 1x Mobile Ops Center

For what it's worth, Deimos-9 slaughtered Terra Khan and Gorghadra slaughtered Defender X. Hope this helps!

Personally, I would have used a chopper instead of the Mobile Ops Center. For me, that one is falling out of favor since to be useful there have to be so many other things in the correct position as well. I think the chopper would be better as it can actually fight and it reduces the cost to hit something due to spotter.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I'm debating about using more than 5 units to make it a little easier to secure buildings as well for the P-dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When teaching, why not stick to the starter formula? use a monster, 2-3 buildings each, and 4 units. I think the starts come with a G tank, Spitter, S type, and Carnidon? Don't worry about faction rules and such, and maybe even just run a quick session without abilities "turned on."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.