Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Space Hulk (third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: The background of a terminator armour rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Cap
Italy
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of a 40k universe, that's why I think I know the characteristics of a terminator armour.
If I remember well, each armour has a scanner and a targeter in its helmet.
So:
1) why Brother Deino has a storm bolter with a laser targeter?
2) why Brother Omnio is controlling a scanner in his (bulky) hand? It's very dangerous handle something with this "big hand" called powerglove! laugh
3) and what's the laser targeter lookalike that we can find on the glove of Brother Noctis?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Owen
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are asking about details of specific figures. I will defer your questions to 40K experts here.

If you do not know already, the Warhammer 40,000 Compendium presented a detailed article about Tactical Dreadnought Armor, listing the systems found in most suits.

BGG - Warhammer 40,000 Compendium
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30708


The Web site below may also be interesting to you.

Termi-Nation: The Definitive Online Guide to Terminator Armour
http://www.tearsofenvy.com/termi-nation
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Targeters have components attached to the weapon. This is evidently a bulky, "pre-heresy" targeter.

The Auspex provides more information beyond that gathered by the Autosenses and full spectral suite. As it's carried by a Terminator, its output will be available to the whole squad via the Sensorium.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more to do with the tie-in novel than anything else I think. To give the cookie-cutter Marines some sort of characterization, they all have some special schtick.

Brother Deino is a crack shot - think of him as the squad's "designated marksman" - so he gets a laser targetter (and presumably the armourers give him the best Storm Bolter and hand-pick his ammo).

Brother Omino is a cold, logical tactician, who spends all his time worrying about attack patterns, corridors of fire and the like (so it stands to reason he'd be watching his scanner instead of getting on with his job of killing things).

Absolutely no idea about Noctis; I can't even remember him from the book. It sort of reminded me of the Cyclone Missile Launcher's targetter (if you remember them; I think that it's another weapon that has been written out of the 40k universe).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alfaro
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually anything that is "pre-heresy" would be sleeker and more integrated as the Imperium is in a technological dark age due to the heresy.

My guess would be the extra systems are replacements for standard systems which are damaged within the terminator armor. I don't believe the Imperium still knows how to make terminator armor anymore, and their knowledge of its repair is more religious than technical. As new suits can't be made they will go through great lengths to recover any damaged armor from the battlefield in order to use it again.

RDewsbery wrote:

Absolutely no idea about Noctis; I can't even remember him from the book. It sort of reminded me of the Cyclone Missile Launcher's targetter (if you remember them; I think that it's another weapon that has been written out of the 40k universe).


Actually the Cyclone is still available as a heavy weapon upgrade for Terminator Squads. It is much better now than it has been in a few editions as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cap
Italy
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I already read this book years ago. That's why I've created this discussion.
Thanks for the second link!!

owenmp wrote:
You are asking about details of specific figures. I will defer your questions to 40K experts here.

If you do not know already, the Warhammer 40,000 Compendium presented a detailed article about Tactical Dreadnought Armor, listing the systems found in most suits.

BGG - Warhammer 40,000 Compendium
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/30708


The Web site below may also be interesting to you.

Termi-Nation: The Definitive Online Guide to Terminator Armour
http://www.tearsofenvy.com/termi-nation


I think that the storm bolter with targeter doesn't give a bonus during the fire phase. That's strange...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
szlachcic22 wrote:
Actually anything that is "pre-heresy" would be sleeker and more integrated as the Imperium is in a technological dark age due to the heresy.


"pre-heresy" also generally refers to any time during the Great Crusade, in which a lot of "lost" technology was recovered, and armour technology was greatly advanced leading to the development of Tactical Dreadnought Armour.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Alfaro
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:

"pre-heresy" also generally refers to any time during the Great Crusade, in which a lot of "lost" technology was recovered, and armour technology was greatly advanced leading to the development of Tactical Dreadnought Armour.


I know that is why I am saying that they are most likely not pre-heresy. A pre-heresy design most likely incorporated all of the sensor equipment in the helmet. If this equipment was damaged post-heresy then they probably had to replace it with bulkier equipment such as the weapon mounted ones on a few of the models as they lack the knowledge to properly repair many such systems.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Cap
Italy
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, now I know why one of the storm bolters (Brother Deino) has a targeter on it! I've read something about Commander Culln of the Red Scorpions (see Forgeworld website) and his stormbolter is similar to Brother Deino's one.
It's a master-crafted weapon!!!!!
So, for the Wh40k rules, he can re-roll one failed roll to hit per turn.
I don't know if this rule can be used in Space Hulk 3.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.