RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lion - Terror Strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the second raid day I drew Day Event Card #137 and had +21VP, so event "Terror Strategy" went into effect (on August 19!).

14.2 states: "The terror strategy remains in effect for the rest of the game; target priorities may change, but the target deck does not".

I understand that it means the Terror Strategy can not be "switched off" later during the game. However I will change the target deck after fourth raid day by adding cards #35-44 (4.IV.9, second bullet).

Am I right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense to me. However, I'd double check the rules to see if the Aug 19 date is late enough to permit Terror Strategy (sorry - too lazy to check the rules myself on this).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see anything in the rules about a time restriction on the Terror Strategy, so I'd say go ahead and mix the cards in. Hitler won't go down in history as the most deliberate leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlexL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took the last line to mean that you never subsequently remove the terror strategy cards from the target deck, irrespective of any later change of target priorities.

So I don't see why you shouldn't shuffle in the extra cards after raid day 4 - the Luftwaffe going after the relatively distant airfields isn't incompatible with also wanting to bomb London, and they did do both IRL after all.

Incidentally, does anyone else feel bad about using raids on London (the city cards, not the industry cards) as a perfect opportunity for delayed response? Let the poor civillians get bombed, then hit the bombers on their way home? Perfectly historically justifiable, of course, but still...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexL wrote:
Incidentally, does anyone else feel bad about using raids on London (the city cards, not the industry cards) as a perfect opportunity for delayed response? Let the poor civillians get bombed, then hit the bombers on their way home? Perfectly historically justifiable, of course, but still...

On the flip side, if you know London is likely to be a target, why not patrol it heavily? If you want to maintain a reserve, since London raids tend to have high detection modifiers, you can leave likely enroute squadrons on the ground and patrol with squadrons from further back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I agree with Fusag. Once terror starts it seems easier to focus more on London defense (defence for those on the correct side of the pond).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Butterfield
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Wow! That is really early for terror strategy. Hitler must be in a snit. And yes, after the fourth raid day you would add the additional target cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnButterfield wrote:
Wow! That is really early for terror strategy.

I was surprised too. I checked rules carefully and found nothing against this possibility, but wanted to be sure.

Thanks John, thank you all, guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Kassel
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
JohnButterfield wrote:
Wow! That is really early for terror strategy. Hitler must be in a snit. And yes, after the fourth raid day you would add the additional target cards.

+21 VP after the second day seems the remarkable part. My games are more likely to see -21 at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Kassel wrote:
My games are more likely to see -21 at that point.

My first and second games looked like yours (British defeat on 4-5 raid day). So I changed my strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.