flag msg tools
admin
designer
If you're not part of the soultion...
badge
You're part of the precipitate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dale 12, Luke 9, Teresa 8, JohnP 5

So we set out to settle the Holy Land and build the walls of Jerusalem. JohnP won the right to place settlements first, and he surprisingly chose the sheep port (bordered by two sheep hexes – an “8” and a “4”). I went next and happily took the spot with a 10 on the copper hex and a 8 on the wood hex. Teresa went for a 6-9-5 (maybe 6-9-4?) spot and Luke quickly took the other spot on the copper hex and then settled down on some brick, not too far from the brick port. The game got underway and we were beseiged by a string of 8s. Probably 6 of the first 15 rolls were 8s. This was great for everyone but Luke – since we all had settlements on 8s except for Luke. Teresa at times had as many as 15 cards in her hand from continual rolling of her numbers. JohnP would have also had as many sheep (Da*n the sheep strategy!) except for recurrent robbering of his “8” sheep and his “4” sheep hexes around the port. Dale and Luke were off to slightly slower starts as they both had to build into their ports (wheat for Dale and Brick for Luke).

Teresa jumped into the lead by building the first part of the wall of Jerusalem, giving her the 2VP card as well as a 2:1 port in brick (which was bad for the rest of us as she had 4 settlements on brick!). I was the only other player close enough to the southern border to compete for wall building, so I got a settlement down on Jerusalem as well and started to build walls for myself. A nice side benefit of this is that all the hexes along the way produce wheat, so I was also able to get a few more wheat producers for the wheat port I was at. Very few development cards were obtained mainly because the only person making sheep was JohnP and his hexes were robbered for most of the game!

As the game moved on, Teresa and I were tied with 8 points and Luke had 7. We then went into another cycle of rolling the same number – this time 5s (probably 5 rolls out of 8) – all without a robber! Each of these 5s gave me a brick and 4 wheat (don’t forget about my port!) By the time my turn came around, I had over 20 cards in my hand – I rolled another 5 – and proceeded to buy the victory by building walls to take the 2VP card from Teresa, build roads for longest road and build a final settlement for my 12th victory point! Not bad for the first time out – I’ll have to play it a few more times to see if there is an optimal placement for settlements from the start given the static board – but I don’t think it will be that big of an issue seeing as how the ports are generally clustered around hexes of that commodity- so everyone should have a chance to get or trade for the commodities they need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.