Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
This little gem came to me in a Tanga Trash purchase. Because it was in a Trash and the fact that it wasn't in the BGG database, I had very low expectations. As usual, when opening the shipping box, I had my 3 year old daughter by my side. Upon seeing the colorful (?) black, green, yellow, and red box she exclaimed "ooooooh, I want to play that game!"

I read the back of the box several times and didn't understand what was printed there. So I read it again. Nothing. Something about being "bornless" and "heavenless." What? Are those even words?

We cracked open the box to inspect the contents. The kid liked the board which had the same color scheme as the box and included large pictures of the Pineapple, Covered Hut, Coconut Tree, and Sunshine player corners.

Along with the instructions, the box also contained 2 dice, 16 markers (4 each red, black, yellow, green), and 4 completely useless dice cups.

I scanned over the instructions and discovered that it was a roll-and-move game and nothing more. There is a bit of "strategy" in that you can block other players markers from moving but in order to win you're going to have to move your blocking markers eventually.

You start the game by, you guessed it, rolling the 2 dice. In order to move your markers they must first be "born" which means rolling a 6 and entering the "Birthplace" square. You then get a second roll. As the turns alternate, you move your markers around the board trying to make it to your own "Heaven."

Because my opponent was only 3 years old, I chose to leave out the "blocking" portion of the game. While I never "let" her win a game, I never include moves that would make it impossible for her to win. She's smart enough to roll and move the appropriate number of spaces but I didn't think she'd catch on to the screwage aspect (OK, fine...I just didn't want to drag the game on longer than it had to. ). So, you move around the board and if you land on a square containing an opponent's marker, you knock that marker back to their "Bornless Graveyard" where they will need to roll a 6 to be able to be "born" again and re-enter the path to "Heaven"...

We played this snooze-fest for about 15-20 minutes. My daughter had fun but I couldn't wait for it to be over snore . I never want to play this game again...but of course, I will if she asks me.

In the end I won...but just by a nose.

In the History portion of the rules it states "Playing Ludy Ludo is a time-honored tradition in the West Indies that originated centuries before in India." That's cool and I hope they do enjoy it...it's just not my cup of tea. I rated this a 2.3 which is somewhere between "extremely annoying game, won't ever play this again" and "likely won't play this again but could be convinced"

If you are also one of the lucky Tanga Trash owners I suggest playing this with very young children or donating it to Toys for Tots or Salvation Army or someplace where a less fortunate child may receive it. Like my little girl, I'm sure others would enjoy it. At the very least it will get them used to roll-and-move style games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Bernardo
United States
Franklin
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this from Tanga Trash today. Thankfully, I also got some other games that I actually WILL play (bethump'd with words, Lost cities (a REALLY good game to be in the TT and my now 2nd copy..you can find the other in the December edition of the geekgold for games auctions), and a national geographic DVD animal game that satisfies the curious 4 year old in me along with a very pretty poster of the world's animals. Thanks for the review- it helps me know that I have no interest in playing this whatsoever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh

I just got a 2nd copy this week from a Tanga Trash as well! AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Pachisi to me, AKA Sorry! for most Americans.

Oh boy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jforbes wrote:
Looks like Pachisi to me, AKA Sorry! for most Americans.

Oh boy!

You're right, it's just another version of Pachisi - which sucks. Hard.

I don't feel that it's like Sorry! though (and I'm American). I'd rather play Sorry! 100 times in a row than Pachisi or Ludy Ludo once!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.