Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Champion Eternal
Malaysia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There seem to be a contradiction in the rules regarding leaders of different nationalities being Staff Officers in a single Army Group. This contradiction refers to Rule 9.6 and Rule 9.63.

Rule 9.6 describes the situations in which an Army Group is formed. This post refers to the second situation in Rule 9.6 which states:

"2. two Allies each have one or more Armies in the same Duchy regardless of the Armies' Strength Points and Leaders;"

And the last paragraph of Rule 9.6 says "One Leader in the Duchy must immediately be designated as the Commander. All other Leaders in the Duchy become Staff Officers and are placed in the Holding Box of the Commander's Headquarters card."

The second example (on page 13) of Rule 9.63 states, "...In this example, because Wellington and DeEspana belong to different Powers..., Wellington may not include DeEspana as a Staff Officer in a single Army (see 1.61). The two Leaders could only be moved together as an Army Group, at the cost of 1 CP each."

In summary, since the two rules quotation above refer to two Allies with Strength Points and Leaders being in the same Duchy and forming an Army Group. Rule 9.6 says one Leader is the Commander and the rest are Staff Officers. Yet Rule 9.63 says Leader of a different Nationality cannot be Staff Officer to a Ally Leader which has been designated as Commander.

Which of these two rules prevail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sisyphean Gamestacker
United States
Taylors
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't revisited the rules, but looking at your quotations, the first is about Army Groups (that is, two or more armies with one leader in command while they are together) and the second is about a single Army; it says D'Espana can't be subordinate to Wellington in a "single Army" -- not a single Army group.

The point here, I believe, is that you can't combine the two nationalities into a single Army even if the leader can hold all the units -- they must form an Army group. This is relevant for movement cost, and (IIRC) for whose bonus will be used during a defense.

But I could be wrong; I often am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sang-Beom Han
South Korea
Seongnam-si
Gyeonggi-do
flag msg tools
>Rule 9.63 states, "...In this example, because Wellington and DeEspana belong to different Powers..., Wellington may not include DeEspana as a Staff Officer in a single Army (see 1.61). The two Leaders could only be moved together as an Army Group, at the cost of 1 CP each."

Important word is "A SINGLE ARMY". Not Staff Officer. If make army group, DeEspana is Staff Officer. But DeEspana is subordinate Army's leader. NOT part of Wellington's Army.

So, movement cost is 2CP.
1CP each "ARMY"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Champion Eternal
Malaysia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to both of you for your replies.

I see. The important word is Single Army.

OK. If I understand this correctly, the following situation is according to the rules:

If a Two-Power Army Group consisting of Wellington (Commander) and 3 British SPs AND DeEspana and 1 Spanish SPs starts in the same Duchy, and moves together (in British Player's Turn) spending 2 CPs in total to the adjacent Duchy where an enemy is present, the Wellington player rolls:

5 dice for Wellington's Battle Rating
+3 dice for the 3 British SPs
+1 die DeEspana as Staff Officer
+1 for the Spanish SP
+1 die for being British Nationality?

Total: 11 dice for combat.

If the total dice rolled by the British player is 11 then DeEspana is the Staff Officer in the Army Group (as opposed to Staff Officer in a single Army), despite being a different Nationality to Wellington as the Commander.

So Wellington may not include DeEspana as a Staff Officer in a single Army, but he may include DeEspana as a Staff Officer in an Army Group.

Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sang-Beom Han
South Korea
Seongnam-si
Gyeonggi-do
flag msg tools
All correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Champion Eternal
Malaysia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah...OK. Thanks!

They should have made it clearer in the rules, instead of just putting in the example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.