Space Hulk (third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: What are the "Space Marine" triangles for? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just realized I have a bunch of them and we never used at all. Nor missed them.

So.. can anybody please tell me where, when and most importantly WHY do you use them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
I've just realized I have a bunch of them and we never used at all. Nor missed them.

So.. can anybody please tell me where, when and most importantly WHY do you use them?

it's just to indicate the marine entrances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
In scenario 2, for instance, we put one in each room to show your choices.

In other words, they're completely useless.

But its Space Hulk. So don't ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom

Carmel
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can see them on the maps in the mission book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I know that they are in the Mission Book.. but I fail to see the purpose of placing them on the actual board.

It feels silly to have so many chits that are useless, and not even cool-useless like the cup, C.A.T. or the "dead marine". Couldn't they have put some "0" blips or spare CP tokens or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Well I know that they are in the Mission Book.. but I fail to see the purpose of placing them on the actual board.

It feels silly to have so many chits that are useless, and not even cool-useless like the cup, C.A.T. or the "dead marine". Couldn't they have put some "0" blips or spare CP tokens or something?

They have the same purpose as the GS arrows...none.

A few more board pieces would have been nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of pieces seem useless at first. Take Zombies Last Night on Earth. It includes loads of bits you won't use apart from the scenario specific games. Where these bits come into their own (apart from the SH ones helping you remember E/EP's)is for a bit of longevity after your bored of the set missions and move on to a bit of home brew.

Imperial triangles.
You could use them for objective markers e.g. the Marines have to collect them to complete a mission.
You could use them as control markers e.g. once the Marines have cleared a room they place a marker to signify. They then have to have so many rooms under their control to complete a mission.

GS arrows.
While you can use some thing else. They are actually quite useful for remembering the GS EP's. They are also useful for designing new mission layouts and for bigger maps.

Objective pieces - CAT, Dead Termie & Chalice.
Once again these all add diversity for making up your own missions. You could even combine all three for a complicated mission.

Spare counters & GS set.
I bought a spare tiles and counters set & I am going to use some of the spare counters as below.
The spare ammo clip could be placed on the map as a refill if Leon can get to it or indeed another Marine who could carry it back to leon.
The spare command points could be placed on the map as unkown bonus CP's if the Marinie can reach them or indeed they could make a harder mission more achievable for the Marines
The spare mission display could be used for a second squad of Marines. You could remove the 4,5 & 6 CP markers to balance the CP usage.
The extra blips can be used to beef up the difficulty for the Marines.
You can use all the spare power field generators as random bonus pick ups.

Really the addition of all the extra tokens make for more variety down the road even if they don't appear useful at first. I wish they had included some more tokens e.g. sentry guns or flamer/AC refill clips. Some other physical objectives like weopon relics would have also been cool.

Any way this is just my take on things.

Chim

P.S. I only realised last night the doors have a specific orientation. They have a little box at the bottom to signify this way down. All of a sudden I had doors with strip lights above them and they became more forbidding. Sorry for this it's the geek in me coming out & a minor detail some others may also have missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In the 1st edition You didn't have any Stealer arrows and Marine triangles. So, it could happen that a player forgot what an open section was: an entry for Stealers or an entry/exit for Marines (i.e. in Mission III). Now in the 3rd edition it's self-evident what an open section is, because You have the arrows and triangles to indicate what an open section is.

By the way, the Mission map symbols that determine the Marine's placement squares are NOT the Marine triangle tiles. You do not place any tiles on that squares. You only place the Marine triangles next to an open section to determine that this open section is not an Stealer entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may use one or two to put them ob objective rooms. But you are right, some more CP chits would have been better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
JB Nice list, gives me someother ides to mull over...

Brother Jim cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.