Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a strategic wargame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tekkyy tekkyy
msg tools
I've only played Risk and Axis and Allies in terms of wargames. I prefer my next purchase to be a strategic wargame but it could also be other forms of fighting or conflict game.

Negotiation is fun but not required. I prefer open/secret team than free for all but I know they are rare.
An economic aspect would be particularly nice. Like so you can buy income improving units besides military units. My limited search so far made me see that this is also rare.

To give you an idea of my overall board game tastes I liked Bang!, Settlers of Catan, Saboteur, and Power Grid.
And expansions I've bought are The Tower(Carcassonne) and
Bohnaparte(Bohnanza).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Barchet
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is the conflict + economic game that you are looking for, I would suggest Imperial. It is not a "wargame" like you are looking for, but it does have conflict. It is primarily an economic game, with an area management mechanism. Check out the review here.

It might not be what you're looking for at all, but it's good to see what's out there .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Schaefer
United States
Bangor
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Game of Thrones as a possible choice. Strategic, diplomatic, and in a great fantasy setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Garbanzo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also consider Diplomacy (Game of Thrones draws heavily from it), though it may be a slightly more intense experience than you're looking for.

I'd throw out Nexus Ops (a light, sci-fi wargame). It has a simple economic component, based on area control. More resources allows you to buy more powerful units with different abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Imperial.

There are games like Advanced Third Reich, Totaller Krieg and many other war games that have these elements in spades. But from your other games listed I don't think you would enjoy them.

When I see "strategic wargame" those are the games I think of. They are strategic in scope (as opposed to tactical or operational) and they are wargames.

I'm guessing your use of strategic is more broad as in "interesting decisions that lead toward victory". Imperial is a good one. But all the suggestions here seem very good from your descriptions.

With your background of games, I'd be very interested to hear a follow up on what game you played and how you and your group liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,
Ill add to the opinion of A game of Thrones. Great game. A fave of our group when it comes to a "wargame" as an alternative to the usual games of Powergrid, settlers and similar.
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The War Game: World War II - would be the next step up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tekkyy tekkyy
msg tools
yeah by "strategic" I am referring to level of abstract

Imperial definitely caught my attention in the past, but diplomacy is not the top priority
"team" and/or "economic" is what I am really after

I like open team or secret team than free for all because it keeps you focused and there is more than one winner

I like economic so you (in the wargame) have to choose between spending on military items vs. economic items

I am open to mature/popular house/variant rules too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.